Words that don't mean anything...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Words that don't mean anything...

Post by brewerpaul »

I get a kick out of words used in advertising or marketing that don't mean anything. Well, not that they don't mean anything, but are used in a context that doesn't.

For example, we're sort of in the market for a new house and we went to see one that was listed as an "executive ranch house". Now, what does "executive" mean in this case? Nothing! I gather that the realtor was trying to get the idea across that this is a classy, high end home, but "executive"?

My wife bought a package of cosmetic items recently which contains "Professional whitening toothpaste". Wouldn't do to use that amateur toothpaste....

The word "romantic" seems to be used pretty indiscriminately, especially as Valentine's Day approaches.

Any others that strike you?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

There are also words that lose their meaning with over use. I call them "platter words". If you say "platter" repeatedly is just sounds like gibberish.

The word "enhancement" doesn't mean anything in advertising. They never actually tell you what the product does...only what it's used for. :-?
emmline

Post by emmline »

In line with Paul's opener...

I chuckle at the word "exclusive" as used in real estate advertising.
Really, I think...and who are you trying to exclude? Well, I guess anyone without the money, but still...
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Realtors are champs at spicing things up with meaningless words, but they do work so that's why they keep using them.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

emmline wrote:In line with Paul's opener...

I chuckle at the word "exclusive" as used in real estate advertising.
Really, I think...and who are you trying to exclude? Well, I guess anyone without the money, but still...
They're trying to exclude "them". You know who THEY are...

Reminds me of an old Groucho Marx story. Early in the Marx Bros career, Groucho tried to join an"exclusive" club which in this case meant that among others they didn't allow Jews to join. Groucho was turned down.
Years later, when the Marx Brothers were at the height of their popularity and earning a lot of money, this same club actually solicited Groucho to have him join the club. He turned them down, saying "I would have no part in any club that would allow me as a member!" :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I'm pretty certain that they're wanting to exclude me. I'm fine with that, all the hints and innuendo save me the bother of checking things out. I think the communities that have excessive rules are sad. Why don't they want clotheslines in their neighborhood? Is that too green and economical? Where do the kids create their makeshift tents when they're playing?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jack

Post by Jack »

If a product is new, how is it improved? If it is improved, how is it new?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

One of my favorites is "wheat bread." They're trying to give the impression that the bread is made of unrefined whole wheat flour (which it's not, unless the word "whole" is in the title...your typical "wheat" bread is simply white bread with some caramel coloring added to make it look healthy), but it must work...apparently because a lot of buyers don't stop to think that every single loaf of bread on that supermarket shelf, be it white, brown, pumpernickel, etc., is made of wheat!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Cranberry wrote:If a product is new, how is it improved? If it is improved, how is it new?
DUH! When it is new AND improved, of course. Don't you know anything about advertising? :D
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Redwolf wrote:One of my favorites is "wheat bread." They're trying to give the impression that the bread is made of unrefined whole wheat flour (which it's not, unless the word "whole" is in the title...your typical "wheat" bread is simply white bread with some caramel coloring added to make it look healthy), but it must work...apparently because a lot of buyers don't stop to think that every single loaf of bread on that supermarket shelf, be it white, brown, pumpernickel, etc., is made of wheat!

Redwolf
Just like the people who buy Sugar in the Raw. It ain't nothin but plain sugar with some of the molasses put back in it, in extremely tiny amounts.
trill

words that dont mean..

Post by trill »

One of my favorites is the Anglican "e".

For example:

A home in the Crown Point subdivision = $100k.

A home in the Crowne Pointe subdivision = $120k.

(as explained by a real-estate professional)

trill
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Redwolf wrote:One of my favorites is "wheat bread." They're trying to give the impression that the bread is made of unrefined whole wheat flour (which it's not, unless the word "whole" is in the title...your typical "wheat" bread is simply white bread with some caramel coloring added to make it look healthy), but it must work...apparently because a lot of buyers don't stop to think that every single loaf of bread on that supermarket shelf, be it white, brown, pumpernickel, etc., is made of wheat!

Redwolf
Excuse me, but pumpernickel (for example) is mostly rye. I hear that in America you have "corn" bread, which is made from maize. And there are some (repulsive) gluten-free breads, which are made from stuff such as potatoes.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Innocent Bystander wrote:

Redwolf
Excuse me, but pumpernickel (for example) is mostly rye.
Not here in the USA.
Most mundane breads are mostly wheat. Here Rye bread has a bit more rye grains in it.
Pumpernickel has a bit of rye and usually a lot of caramel coloring.
I hear that in America you have "corn" bread, which is made from maize.
Some maize but there's usually a wheat product in there as well.
And there are some (repulsive) gluten-free breads, which are made from stuff such as potatoes.
What comes to mind as bread with potatoes in it also has wheat in it.
We call them English Muffins. :D
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Not marketing related, but two of my favorite unnecessary words.

verbalize: Alternative word: "say" or "tell"
utilize: Alternate: "use"
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

BTW, words that don't mean anything? What about prices that really don't mean a thing.
Excuse me, when I see a price for a house cleverly (?) listed as $399,000.00 my mind interprets the price as $400,000.00. I can't believe realitors think I'm the exception to the rule and the rest of America is so stupid not to see through them.