Which Low d whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Anam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which Low d whistle?

Post by Anam »

Hi! I am playing tin whistle for 2 years but now I would like to try also low whistle...My price range is somewhere between £60 and £100. For now I can not deside between Alba and Susato low d whistle - can you help me? Is there maybe better solution? Is Susato easier for playing? Thank you for answers and information!
Inthewind

Alba

Post by Inthewind »

I haven't gotten the chance to play one yet, but I'm really impressed with the sound of the Alba as well as the look of the thing.

There's a good review on YouTube at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USMN1smpBxw

The same guy has another video playing Cooley's Reel on it.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

The Albas I have played were very nice. Fit and finish were first rate; tone holes were nicely chamfered and well centered; and the hole spacing makes them very playable. But most important is the sound they produce; they have that haunting cosmic drain pipe sound.

Stacey has really done her homework; her standard low D reminds me a bit of the classic Overton sound while maintaining her signature sound. Her "Vibe" low D I find even more expressive.

I think the Alba is really in a different class. They are hand made and individually voiced; plus they are a lot of bang for the buck. Good luck, Cyril.
Anam

Post by Anam »

What about Susato low d - has anyone tried this whistle? I am just little worried, because Susato is made of plastic...
john_t

Post by john_t »

I have a Alba Q1 'vibe' Low D. It has satisfied my need for low whistle. I couldn't recommend it enough. You can really lean into every note. My head occasionally yearns for different Low Ds but my heart is with the Alba. :)

I don't play my Dixon one piece plastic Low D whistle anymore and am considering selling it. So pm me if anyone out there likes an really easy blowing whistle.
Madpiper

Post by Madpiper »

Both are fine instruments Anam. However, they sound different, a Susato is known for its loudness and pureness. Plus side its great for sessions because of its loudness, and because its a type of polymer(plastic) it is super light. Also, its cheaper. Negative side is it can be shrill in the higher octaves, and its easier to break then an alba. Susato are manufactured.

Alba's have a more complex tone, it has a touch of the cosmic drainpipe effect like overtons, but has a somewhat flutey characterist to it as well. Its is definetly more the traditional sounding instrument of the two. Its alumium alloy, so its heaver, but definetly sturdier. It lends itself well to expressive playing. Aethetically, its one of the most appealing whistles on the market. As for the negatives, a few years ago there were a few, (brash upper registers, balance between the octaves) but Stacey has really cleaned up her work over the years, so there are not really any real issues anymore. However, the Alba is almost twice as much as a Low-D. (at least in $)

However, if sound was not an issue, and I were to base a decision on build and playability alone, then I would choose Alba over Susato. Alba's are handcrafted of sturdier material, are better voiced. Well, to put it simply, much more effort and care goes into each one then a manufactured Susato. If you ever chose to buy another low-d in the future, you will only buy a different low-d specifically for a different sound, not as an upgrade from Alba. Basically, bang for buck, Alba's got much more.

I am sure others have more positives or negatives to say about both instruments, but these are my views. :D
It would have been greater than his greatest dreams, had he allowed himself any at all. -MP-
taity

Post by taity »

if i had the cash i would grab an alba and i will get one this year at some point good luck wth your choice
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
Anam

Post by Anam »

I am playing in hard-rock band, so I would use whistle for gigs and for studio recording...I like "flutelike" tone so the best for me would be mix up of Susato laudness and Alba sound :lol:
foumarc

Post by foumarc »

hello
Please do you know the name of this beautifull song?

http://colalefou.free.fr/Water%20(Pirat ... aibes).mp3

thanks for your help!
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have two Susato low D's (don't ask) and a Susato low C. They play very well but aren't particularly loud. Also their 2nd register is not shrill at all. I think people experience these things (loudness and shrillness) on the high Susatos and think that the low ones are the same. In my opinion the Susatos get better as they get lower. My low C (bent neck, keyless) is a fantastic player, very expressive. The low D's are good. I also have a low E flat and a low E natural that play very well. Above that, I don't care that much for Susatos.
About loudness, my Burke low D is much louder than my Susato low D's which is one of the reasons I prefer the Burke for sessions. Both the Susato and Burke have the ability to "honk" on bottom D, a critical thing for the way I play (kind of an old-time honking flute manner).
For keys above low E I play Burkes. I just got a Burke F that's just an amazing whistle. I also love my Burke low G and A.
I really want to try an Alba. Their Quena-like or Shakuhachi-like notched blade is intriguing.
Anam

Post by Anam »

Pancelticpiper obviously you have some experiences with whistles - I think I will wait until you try Alba and then let me know what to buy :D
Anam

Post by Anam »

What is the differnce between Alba tenor low d standard and Alba low d Q1...I know that standard and Q1 is design, but what about low tenor and low?
foumarc

Post by foumarc »

thanks for your help or even your answer "no, I don't know this tune..."

:-?
lalit

Post by lalit »

foumarc wrote:thanks for your help or even your answer "no, I don't know this tune..."

:-?
No, I don't know this tune... But it sounds like it could be an original composition based on Pirates of the Caribbean theme music. I'm guessing that partially based on some of the words in the link you provided.

By the way, did you notice the title of this thread: "Which low d whistle?" Demanding tune help here was a bit of a threadjack. :-?

Edited to add that giving tune help here has contributed to the threadjack, and my apologies to Anam!
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

It's only recently that I started to really apply myself to whistling, so, take my opinions with a grain of salt....

In terms of low and low-ish whistles, I have a Susato G, a Howard low D, and as of yesterday, an Alba Q1 Vibe low D. There's no contest -- I like the Alba the best.

The Howard cost less than the Alba, but it clogs so easily. (And the Howard was a pretty recent purchase, so, I THINK it has the newer head.) I haven't tried the JetDry clogging fix, as I just don't like the idea of putting that stuff that close to my mouth. The Howard has an interesting sound, but I just wasn't happy with it as my main low whistle, so I got an Alba.

The Alba isn't quite as easy for me to play as the Howard. Things that I can play on the Howard give me trouble on the Alba as I run out of breath. I think I'll be able to fix that with practice. I just like the Alba the best. And it hasn't clogged yet!