Learning a second instrument

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sbfluter

Learning a second instrument

Post by sbfluter »

So I've been struggling with the flute and whistle for 3/4 of a year now, making slow progress. It's not easy to do, that's for sure, but I've learned a lot of tunes and feel somewhat musical again. (I had not done any music for about 25 years after a childhood filled with music.) Plus I enjoy it immensely.

I don't know what came over me, but I decided I would buy this silly little thing called a Strumstick. Basically a mountain dulcimer fretboard with a travel-sized guitar-like shape, with 3 strings tuned to DAD. I noodled with it every now and then, and then one day, experimenting with it all of a sudden it's like something in my brain clicked and all this Irish music started coming out of it. It's not like I'm any better than on the flute, and with the huge distances between the frets, I'm not fast, but it was quite a trip.

Now I'm all obsessed with it and decided to get a real mountain dulcimer. I want to eventually bring a mountain dulcimer to sessions if they'll allow it.

It's weird but in some way I feel like I'm more expressive on this silly stringed thing, more capable of variations, ear-learning is a snap with it and even the modes are starting to make sense to me as I experiment with tuning the drone strings to different notes.

Anyway, I find this to be quite astonishing. Have you had an experience like that, where it all clicked and started making sense, or where you picked up a second instrument on a lark and found your voice?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

I took to the tin whistle like a duck to water and bought it on a whim. I found my voice on the whistle. Before that it was only a short stint with guitar lessons in public school, with some bad memories.

At times, I feel a deep spiritual connection thru music. It comes both from finding and improvising new melody lines, or performing in public. The traditional music doesn't do much for me, and for the most part I stay away from it.

I know I have touched many people with my music, along with finding a sense of peace for myself. Lately, I haven't been playing much, after many, many years of playing virtually every day. Perhaps your post is message for me to get back to it.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Coming from fiddle, banjos are a breeze but not without the frustration of dealing with the intonation limitations presented by frets.

My next 5 string banjo will be fretless
but to replace my tenor, I dunno.
Do they make fretless "17 fret" scale tenors?
Caroluna
antispam: No

Re: Learning a second instrument

Post by Caroluna »

Anyway, I find this to be quite astonishing. Have you had an experience like that, where it all clicked and started making sense, or where you picked up a second instrument on a lark and found your voice?
Yup!!
A couple of years ago I was doing synthesizers, sequencers, MIDI.
Then I went to a local Renn Fest and for some reason I bought a bamboo stick with 6 holes in it.... :lol:

I still think it's odd to go from so high-tech to so low-tech.

For some reason I'm much more emotionally connected w/ the flute than I ever was with the keyboards.
It's weird but in some way I feel like I'm more expressive on this silly stringed thing, more capable of variations, ear-learning is a snap with it and even the modes are starting to make sense to me as I experiment with tuning the drone strings to different notes.
That's very cool-- I hope you keep checking in with progress reports!
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

My current '2nd instrument' is harp.

It fulfills a completely different need. On the flute I like playing tunes, lotsa tunes, tunes tunes tunes.

On the harp, it's much more fun to just play... . whatever. I can noodle forever, barely musically, and it's still fun. That doesn;t work as well on the flute.

In contrast, actually learning a tune on the harp, using both hands, is really, really tough for me. (No piano background as a kid is part of it.)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
missy

Post by missy »

Diane - if you need recommendations on a MD - see our website (or talk with harpmaker :wink: ).

If you haven't found http://www.everythingdulcimer.com yet, you might want to take a look at it. You'll notice a "few" familiar screen names there.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Been playing guitar and whistle for years, but that overtone flute... I'm in love (again).
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've been like that with the harp. It's like it's the instrument I was born to play. Not that I'm brilliant at it...I'm not...but making music with it seems to flow so naturally (even when I'm struggling with technique!)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

missy wrote:Diane - if you need recommendations on a MD - see our website (or talk with harpmaker :wink: ).

If you haven't found http://www.everythingdulcimer.com yet, you might want to take a look at it. You'll notice a "few" familiar screen names there.
I just ordered one of harpmaker's beginner models. Yep, that was me. I'm also sbhikes over there on ED.

I'm really looking forward to the real duclimer. I hope I can do it as well as the strumstick, or better.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
missy

Post by missy »

sbfluter wrote:
I just ordered one of harpmaker's beginner models. Yep, that was me. I'm also sbhikes over there on ED.
that's great - welcome to the family!!!

Oh- and if you haven't been advised of it - there is also another disease besides Whoa. DAd, better known as dulcimer aquisition disease!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

mandolin, but I prefer flutes/whistles.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Every additional instrument I learn is even more worth it. I wonder when I'll stop.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

I started playing harp about a year ago (and have already upgraded from a 26 string to a 34 string -- must be a case of HAD) -- I wouldn't say that I particularly "clicked" as far as ability, but I am more drawn to it than to my whistles or recorders (enough so that I'm actually taking lessons!).
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

WhistlingArmadillo wrote:I started playing harp about a year ago (and have already upgraded from a 26 string to a 34 string -- must be a case of HAD) -- I wouldn't say that I particularly "clicked" as far as ability, but I am more drawn to it than to my whistles or recorders (enough so that I'm actually taking lessons!).
Actually, I believe the technical name is "SAD" (string acquisition disorder). It also describes your spouse and kids when you announce that the vacation budget is going for another new harp this year. :twisted:

I haven't felt the need for a bigger harp yet, even after playing for two years. We're a team, my Ravenna and I.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Cork

Post by Cork »

I like learning "second" languages, and in the course of such adventures I have learned about a zither-like instrument, known as a kantele, variations of which can be found all over Europe.

It's a fret-less instrument, and come in a range of sizes, beginning with smaller, 5-string models, and then getting progressively larger, all the way up to "Grand", 36-string models. The right hand fingers are used to pluck the strings, and the left hand fingers "stop" the strings at various harmonic intervals.

They also have an interesting range of musical applications. Dance music and other popular tunes are quite possible, but perhaps one of the more interesting styles leads more into trance-like qualities, where musical patterns are repeated, often at a slower tempo, while also being layered, one pattern on top of another, approaching hypnotic.