Generation Bb

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scoutcow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scoutcow »

I believe it's like this:
That's what I can make out of the post, that it's on the lip.

Klopt het zo, dat je het op het schuine deel hebt wat onder de windway zit?
Tucson Whistler
antispam: No

Post by Tucson Whistler »

All this praise made me curious, so I went out today and got one. The only one they had was a blue top nickel. i had to do some filing to remove some mold (not the growing kind) edges, but I don't have anything to fill the cavity yet. At this pint, I completely understand why everyone seems to like it so much. It's nice and mellow without being airy and the size is still easy on the hands. What a fun whistle.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Yup, and when you start practicing (by yourself) with your Bb first for a good while, then you go to pick up the D, the D is just too shrill!! I did this the other day, and dropped the D instantly for a mellower key, at least a C. I've got smallish hands, so playing the Bb gets to my lower hand after a long while and I have to switch to something smaller... However, it does make playing the D a breeze after you've played the Bb for a good while before.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

What is filling the cavity below the airway supposed to do? I tried it on my D (with which I was perfectly happy anyway) a while back just for a lark - used blutack, tried different amounts, couldn't tell any darn difference, so took it out.

It sounds to me as though Arnie is trying to describe putting a little sheet of metal as a surface to the labium ramp (blade)? Of course, I could be misunderstanding...... and if one can find a good head, what's the point? None of these tweaks is necessary save to try to improve a duff, or at least main-production-standard Gen. Good ones, once acquired, don't need it. (Cleaning up any mold joint-line flange residue is a good idea, though.)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I don't know what filling the cavity does, but everyone says to do it, so I thought OK. I like all the advice you've given before, so I guess that's one step I'll skip. I like the way it sounds now. I was surprised at how much stuff was on the fipple. It must have been made from an old mold.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Bloomfield wrote:I love my Generation Bb, one of my favorite whistles.
Ditto. In the early days, I dunked one into overly hot water in an effort to get the head off and it warped the heck out of the head. Radically changed the instrument but I've kept it and I like it too.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Tucson Whistler wrote:I don't know what filling the cavity does, but everyone says to do it, so I thought OK.
After all of these years, I still can't quite decide if it's worthwhile.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

In my opinion yes its worth it, but not necessarily all whistles,
feadogs definitely yes, gen's as you wish, sweetone / meg no, waltons - some yes some no
its all relative to the needs of the whistle, the good thing about poster putty, no harm done if you change your mind.

i think a clean up of the head first with a cardboard strip, then moderately hot water, putty, then if still not satisfyed try fooling with the fipple with a sharp blade, or sand paper very lightly.
but when ya just cannot do anything else, the bloomfield guitar pick transplant is worth the effort.
no matter its fun to fool around, and the results can be both a learning experience and a overall benefit
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
domino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Flute,
Traditional music of Ireland and Scotland
Friend of County Clare
Lover of the West Wind and all who sail in her

Post by domino »

Just got a Freeman teaked Bb Generation from Bigwhistle this morning. been playing it non stop since, what a lovely sounding whistle. I'm a fluter not a whistler but this is beautiful. Thanks Bigwhistle , thanks Mr. Freeman.
Enclose

Post by Enclose »

My Freeman's Bb arrived yesterday and I'm very pleased with the sound. I'm having a bit of trouble with the lowest hole though. It's hard to reach and close properly. I learned how to play on an Eb so going from that to a Bb is a considerable size change. Anyone else had that problem when first getting it?
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Enclose wrote:My Freeman's Bb arrived yesterday and I'm very pleased with the sound. I'm having a bit of trouble with the lowest hole though. It's hard to reach and close properly. I learned how to play on an Eb so going from that to a Bb is a considerable size change. Anyone else had that problem when first getting it?
Yes, me, but I could solve it in a few days!
Anybody can play a Bb whistle, don't worry, in two or three days you'll be playing it just like your D or Eb whistle :wink:

Regards, and congrats for the acquisition!!
Martin
arnie

Post by arnie »

scoutcow wrote:I believe it's like this:
That's what I can make out of the post, that it's on the lip.

Klopt het zo, dat je het op het schuine deel hebt wat onder de windway zit?
Zo klopt het, dat is wat ik bedoel.
This is what I mean. The piece of copper I have for it is so thin you can cut it with scissors.
arnie

Post by arnie »

jemtheflute wrote:What is filling the cavity below the airway supposed to do? I tried it on my D (with which I was perfectly happy anyway) a while back just for a lark - used blutack, tried different amounts, couldn't tell any darn difference, so took it out.

It sounds to me as though Arnie is trying to describe putting a little sheet of metal as a surface to the labium ramp (blade)? Of course, I could be misunderstanding...... and if one can find a good head, what's the point? None of these tweaks is necessary save to try to improve a duff, or at least main-production-standard Gen. Good ones, once acquired, don't need it. (Cleaning up any mold joint-line flange residue is a good idea, though.)
And also under the windway; it stabilizes the tone. It doesn't seem to work with all the whistles, for my gens it works so far. For a good gen you have to have luck. The tweak is something done more often and with succes. You may not believe it, but for lots of people it works.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I play my brass Generation Bb totally stock. It's my favorite whistle. Used to be my least favorite until I reached a small level of competence, so if you're a newbie like me and this whistle doesn't work for you, give it a few months and you'll love it too.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Ctrl Alt Del

Post by Ctrl Alt Del »

My new Generation Bb - straight garden variety (nickel) arrived on Monday. It's the first non D whistle I have. I really like it. Due to all the great recommendations in this and other threads I though I'd try it. Great.

The other great thing was that when I took it out of the packing and played it, my wife said "Oh, that's nice" (and genuinely meant it). This is probably a whistle that I can use to practice at night without straining the family tooooo much.
I find that I need rebooting every now and then!