A Deterrent To Home Invasions

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

A Deterrent To Home Invasions

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My wife works at an intercity police department, and the officers that she works with are trying to convince her that she needs to own a handgun to prudently react to the possibility of a home invasion. Unfortunately, such events seem to be on the rise in our city.

I would like to get feedback as to whether the officers' recommendation is a good one, or not. Other than keeping the doors and windows locked, what other kinds of deterrents are useful, other than having a handgun in the house? What about having a fake gun (looks like a real gun but won't shoot)? That might act as a deterrent, and no one could get injured or killed in the process. My wife says that the officers would laugh if she told them that she had a gun that wouldn't shoot.
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I suggest the Home Defense version of the Trunk Monkey
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
emmline

Post by emmline »

BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Doug

I thought a pump action shotgun would be more usefull than a handgun.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

You beat me to it Em. My thoughts exactly. GET A DOG!!! Ideally one with a big bark- doesn't have to really be big- ( Skyes sound bigger than 30 lb dogs, plus they have big teeth and jaws to go along with the bark :wink: and the sense to know if it's someone that need's bitin'.)
Plus, dogs are fun.:)

I've heard and read many times that former criminals say that the sound of a dog in the house tells them to find another house to break into.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

BigDavy wrote:Hi Doug

David
It sure would.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

BigDavy wrote:Hi Doug

David

That would be my choice.

Fake guns are a problem because they'll have a real one and shoot you.

Real handguns are a problem because you can't hit anything with them if you're excited, unless it's an accident, in which case you'll kill a loved one.

It's hard to miss with a shotgun, plus it makes that nice kachunk noise which may be enough of a deterrent that you don't have to use it.

They're also useful on varmints.
Cotelette d'Agneau
ketida

Post by ketida »

Even easier, get a motion-activated barking dog recording device. Dogs ARE very good deterrents to criminals, but they (dogs) do require a lot of upkeep.

I love 'em, mind you, but not everyone has the time or space required for a REAL watchdog. Just the sound of vicious barking might be enough to scare away many intruders.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

I don't want to get on a soapbox here, but I have a little background with guns. Let me make a few simple points.

1) You need serious training with a strong focus on safety. I think guns are like shop tools: very effective and safe when you follow a few basic rules ALL THE TIME. After you get the training, you need to commit to certain amount of practice to remain safe and effective. (I guess I don't have tell people on this board about practice. :) )

2) You have to be willing to use lethal force to protect yourself and family. Under stress, it's hard to fake this and the bad guy probably will see through it. That's another reason why a pretend gun is not a good idea.

3) If you are unfortunate and need to use a gun to save yourself or a loved one, you often need to defend yourself a second time in court. Plus criminals can and do sue their victims. Consider it another part of your training.

Not to discourage anyone, but owning a gun is just the start. Oh, and know how to store firearms safely. Keep the shop door locked too when young ones are in the house.

I would spend money first on the basic deterrents like locks, alarms and lighting. The stuff about having a good dog holds true even with a gun. :)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
missy

Post by missy »

backing up what swizzlestick said:

If you are NOT absolutely sure you WILL use the gun with DEADLY intentions - do NOT get a gun! Period. Just you asking probably means you are not a good candidate for a gun for self protection.

As to making your home less attractive to intruders:

Get a dog. If you don't want a dog, get the "accompaniments" to a dog - a bowl, some toys, "borrow" some neighborhood dog poop, whatever and leave all of this around your yard.
Make your outside less attractive. (this is called the SARA model by Problem Oriented Policing groups) Have outside lighting at night. Keep your blinds closed on your ground floor. Don't have thick bushes or trees close to the doors or windows - have visibility from the street. If your back yard goes into woods or such, have a fence. Even something small - just so it breaks up the "getaway". Don't have easily transported electronics visible from windows.
Try to not be so "predictable" in your coming and goings. Most of our breakins happen during the day when people are at work.

Most of the breakins in our area are also "smash and grabs" and the person is in the house less than 90 seconds.

Always have your cell phone at your bedside, especially if your land phone lines are at the bottom of your house. Remember it takes approximately 5 minutes in a metropolitian area for a 911 response.

If you ARE in the house when someone breaks in, remember, it's just stuff. Stuff can always be replaced. Your life cannot.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I wouldn't have a gun in the house.

Remember, someone who "breaks in" in the nite with a weapon of their own (most likely) IS AWAKE! ALREADY! probably high on something, too.

YOU, on the other hand, are asleep, drowsy, disoriented, scared, indecisive, or all of the above.

My mother in law *who's DEAF* once shot a hole in the floor because she "thought" she heard a noise, she could just as easily have killed my brother in law, who was coming in late that nite from a DATE.
Just one of those "hilarious" family stories now.
Yeah, right.

M
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

How many guns would you have to have in the house to ensure one was where you needed it to be at the time you needed it?
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

Don't get a gun. Get a safe home.

1. Get a device that will turn on radio/lights at random times and turn it on when noones home. (Make sure radio doesn't turn on when all lights are out) : This is a signal to the thief that someone might be home. And on a street with 10 houses, he/she will go for the ones with no noise or lights in them.

2. ALWAYS close and lock all windows and doors when you leave the home. NEVER keep a backup key outside and near the house. (Make a few and make sure each family member who lives in the house has one, this way you have backups handy)

3. Try doing a round where you "think like a criminal". Test your defences. (This includes the locks on windows, the backdoor and any entrance to a basement/garage)

That's just the basics. You might want to consider a noisy alarm system. (If someone breaks in and a very loud alarm goes off.. well.. take a guess)
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Uninviting burglars

Properly trimmed rose bushes or other thorny bushes can be a good deterrent as can motion detecting detecting sprinkler systems.

Pick and choose which is right for your house and neighborhood.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Why in the world would you want to point a fake gun at someone
who might have a weapon? That's a great way to get shot.