C Natural Thumb Hole...Ok or not?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OBrien
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

On a thin-walled whistle, taping a C-nat thumbhole should return the whistle to its predrilled state. But covering a hole with a finger, whether the whistle has thick or thin walls, is different. If you imagine looking at a fingerhole from the inside of a whistle, you will see a little mountain of finger protruding into the whistle. This will either interupt the airstream in a thin-walled whistle, or affect the chimney volume if the walls are thick. Either way, the tuning could be noticably affected. Taping a hole on a thick-walled whistle will add a new chimney to a whistle that was previously in tune without that chimney.

Therefore, my advice is not to drill a thumbhole into a whistle that you like.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

O'Brien wrote:On a thin-walled whistle, taping a C-nat thumbhole should return the whistle to its predrilled state. But covering a hole with a finger, whether the whistle has thick or thin walls, is different. If you imagine looking at a fingerhole from the inside of a whistle, you will see a little mountain of finger protruding into the whistle. This will either interupt the airstream in a thin-walled whistle, or affect the chimney volume if the walls are thick. Either way, the tuning could be noticably affected. Taping a hole on a thick-walled whistle will add a new chimney to a whistle that was previously in tune without that chimney.

Therefore, my advice is not to drill a thumbhole into a whistle that you like.
That makes sense. I was thinking thin walled, where it wouldn't do much, but I see how it would be different with the thick walled.

I got the impression the OP was in the process of ordering one, rather than of getting the drill fired up to DIY ... hmmm...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

My impression was that he had sent whistles back to Mike to have thumbholes drilled. And also that he really liked the whistles in their pre-drilled state.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

That's my impression, too, David.

I think pancelt sums it up: OK, but not necessary.

There are already 2 perfectly good ways of playing a C-nat. A thumb hole gives you 3 ways. An extended C foot (D+ whistle) would give you 4. I don't quite see the point, especially for a note that may be less commonly needed in ITM.

Muscle memory is a great tool. But get used to playing a tune using the C hole, and you may need a mental adjustment to play it on a whistle without one. Which is just about every other whistle in the world. This may be limiting, depending on how flexible you are.

Finding a good top thumb placement for the size and shape of your hand can make a difference in getting the right leverage for clean top hand rolls. The C hole limits your options.

I've played a Burke D with a C hole, and I like it. But I wouldn't necessarily buy one for the above reasons, even if it can be taped over, when the other is readily available. The C hole may limit your resale options, if that's an issue. Especially if it's an ad hoc modification, even if done by the maker himself.

Just my 2 cents.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
bud
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bud »

Tommy asked:
What is the name of that sentence that has all the letters of alphabet in it.
"The quick, brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs" is the sentence; I don't know what its name is.
Bud Savoie
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

Suck it up and just play it the way everyone else does. Um hasn't it worked for centuries as is? :D

Peace
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

O'Brien wrote:My impression was that he had sent whistles back to Mike to have thumbholes drilled. And also that he really liked the whistles in their pre-drilled state.
Drat those kids for feeding me and interrupting my read 3/4 of the way thru the post! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

bud wrote:Tommy asked:
What is the name of that sentence that has all the letters of alphabet in it.
"The quick, brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs" is the sentence; I don't know what its name is.
It is called a pangram.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes! I'd forgotten the term, too. Thanks!

"Blowzy red vixens fight for a quick jump." LOL!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangram
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I have a thumbhole on my flute which I really like. I have a whistle or two with them as well...quite like them. THere are some advantages...certainly not a necessity but handy for certain applications.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
TODDLEMM

Thanks for the Replies!!

Post by TODDLEMM »

Doc Jones and my whistle teacher, Frank Simpson, seem to agree...might as well get one, and keep your thumb on the bugger when not needed. Why not have all the tools in the box, to use or not. Thanks to all for the info!!

Your pal, whom you've never met,

Todd
Quit just before becoming the boss, or you will hate your job.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

O'Brien wrote:On a thin-walled whistle, taping a C-nat thumbhole should return the whistle to its predrilled state. But covering a hole with a finger, whether the whistle has thick or thin walls, is different. If you imagine looking at a fingerhole from the inside of a whistle, you will see a little mountain of finger protruding into the whistle. This will either interupt the airstream in a thin-walled whistle, or affect the chimney volume if the walls are thick. Either way, the tuning could be noticably affected. Taping a hole on a thick-walled whistle will add a new chimney to a whistle that was previously in tune without that chimney.
You certainly know more about making whistles than I do. However, I happen to have a Burke with a thumbhole that I keep covered with electrical tape. The tape has stretched into the hole about the same amount I would expect my thumb to penetrate with normal pressure. So flexible, stretchy tape might be a good way to try and keep the tuning.

A side benefit is that the thumbhole, even under tape, gives me a nice nonslip surface for holding the whistle. (Not that I would recommend ordering a thumbhole just for that.)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I have a thumbhole on myy Irish D flute (as well as an E and an Eb Tipple)which are excellent and on one of my whistles (a B key one) I got a thumbhole and I find it a nuisance. I find the thumbhole on the small whistle body fiddly and I wouldn'tt do it again. I have played whistle for over 35 years (not ITM specific) and prefer the cross fingered appraoch on it.

The thumbhole on the Irish flute I find great for A Dorian and particularly for sliding in and out for that particularly evocative effect that my taste tells me Dorian pieces like with its minor third. However with D Mixolydian I prefer to cross finger for the C as the the thumbhole C is a tad sweet for the pipey effect that my taste tells me Mixolydian's like.

So, IMO thumbhole is awkward on a small whistle and a nice option on the flute. I stress "option".
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Having an additional note (guess David and myself did not want to imply that one should not have a Cnat thumbhole or others. There is traditional music like Swedish when having i.e. an Fnat hole can be coming in very handy.

There is a risk behind changing an instrument you like, even though the changes are made by the maker and/or very subtle. Some people may not even feel the difference, for others the characteristic changes so dramatically to the point that the instrument may loose the favorite instrument status. This applies not only to additional holes but to other changes, too. Some changes/tweaks can make your instrument better especially when made by someone who knows what they are doing, some changes can have the opposite results.

Brigitte

Different example, you have 5 plain accoustic guitars, you need one with a pickup though. I presume you do not give your favorite guitar and also maybe not your second favorite one for this upgrade, maybe non of the ones you have but get a cheaper one which has a pickup already in it.
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

Yes, Brigitte- that's my point. I have nothing against thumbholes. I just think there is a big risk in adding one to a whistle you like. Why not order a whistle with one, so that it is part of the original design and not an afterthought?