Very cold this morning...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have often wondered who has the largest and smallest ranges of temperatures.

For example, Minneapolis has had a record high of 105 and a low of -35 (140 degree spread), where as Honolulu has had a high of 94 and a low of 53 (41 degree spread).
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Sunny and nice enough this morning to open windows to air the house... lasted about an hour... Our temp has dropped 40 degrees in the last three hours. Buh-er!

Snow is starting. Glad we cut more firewood this week!!

A 57 degree drop total in 12 hours.
Last edited by anniemcu on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Okay, I found this interesting.
USA Today
Ordinary summer heat makes much of the Southwest, including Death Valley, sizzle from June through August. But, Death Valley's unique geography turns this hot weather into extreme heat.

Winds off the higher surrounding land, known as the Great Basin, often blow hot, dry air thousands of feet down into the long, narrow valley, which is 282 feet below sea level.

As the air moves downhill it encounters increasing atmospheric pressure, which squeezes the air, warming it at a rate of 5.5° for every 1,000-foot drop in elevation. Some of the mountain ranges around Death Valley are 7,000 - 9,000 feet high, and the surrounding land between the ranges is 4,000 - 5,000 feet above sea level, which means the air can warm at least 20-25° by the time it reaches the bottom of the valley.

In addition, the steep walls of the valley heat up and radiate that heat back into the valley, causing the already hot air to grow even hotter. July's average high in Death Valley is 115°, but nearly every year the temperature reaches 125°, or higher.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rhulsey »

I've been working in central Kansas for the past few weeks. It was 2 degrees one morning last week, and with the ever present breeze, it was a bit on the chilly side.

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

I.D.10-t wrote:I have often wondered who has the largest and smallest ranges of temperatures.

For example, Minneapolis has had a record high of 105 and a low of -35 (140 degree spread), where as Honolulu has had a high of 94 and a low of 53 (41 degree spread).
In theory, the largest ranges should occur in "continental" (i.e., inland) climates that don't experience the temperature-buffering effect of the sea. High latitudes help drive the winter lows down, too, since the sun gives so little warmth when its angle is low and it's only up for a few hours. In midwinter at 65 degrees north latitude, the sun is mostly ornamental.

I believe that the all-time record high in Fairbanks, Alaska is +99 F and the record low is -66 F, giving us a 165 degree spread. In midwinter (i.e., NOW!) the daily record highs and lows have about a 100 degree spread: record highs are about +40 and record lows about -60.

Personally, I think that humans shouldn't have to endure a range of more than 100 degrees F. Fairbanks would have a nearly perfect climate if we could just cap the temps at +80 F on the high end and -20 F on the low end. (Yes, I'm serious. Really. :D)

I would rather deal with -20F than +110F. You can dress for cold, but when it's hot, there's a limit to how much you can UNdress for the heat, and then you're still overheated.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
fel bautista wrote:Probably no sympathy for us out in So Cal- it was ( I think) low 40Fs at 8 am when we went for our Sunday bike ride.
You're missing out. We love to bike in Minnesota, our bike trails are pristine along the river and there wasn't a cloud in the sky this weekend. Eyelashes collect moisture from your breath and freeze together when you blink, it is the feeling of living. For what is life without sensation? Heat, cold, wet, and dry that is life! The moving in and out of one climate controlled environment to another deprives us from that, it is like a living death, and living in California must be like constantly living indoors.

I pity you.

The light blanket of snow covers the dirt and detritus and makes the land look clean and new, we cannot see the rotting leaves and brown snow that you must see every day. I lived in a place that did not have snow, it almost drove me mad.
Oh, stick it. "Light blanket", my foot. I'm caretaker of my apartment building, and we're on a corner lot. I just discovered the pleasures of a snowblower this year. Screw my "carbon footprint".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Colin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Colin »

-34 degree wind chill when I arose this morning. Took an ice pick along in
case I had to chip the dog off the water hydrant at the corner of the block.
I'm ready for golf season ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Colin wrote:-34 degree wind chill when I arose this morning. Took an ice pick along in
case I had to chip the dog off the water hydrant at the corner of the block.
I'm ready for golf season ...
Yeah, that wind chill's a mofo. I bundled up majorly bigtime just for a two-block walk to the convenience store for milk and OJ last evening, and by the time I got home, my condition was dire. And I'd been contemplating going out for a pint. No way, José.
I.D.10-t wrote:...living in California must be like constantly living indoors.
Well, if anyone would know, it would be us, now wouldn't it. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Key_of_D »

I'd rather take the heat, cause it's sure nice to be able to feel your fingers when playing pipes! Plus, you won't see much women in their bakinnis when it's -60F outside! :D
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I prefer to be warm. I can't do anything except sit and shiver when it's cold.
Charlene
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

May I butt into this all-US thread? We have not had a frost (i.e. 32°F or lower) in Bude since December 18, and that is very unusual, even round here. In all that time day temperatures have made at least 10°C, 50°F almost every day and have hit 13°C+ several times. January, completely frost-free? What's going on! And last January was even warmer. My grass needs mowing! :boggle:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

SteveShaw wrote:May I butt into this all-US thread? We have not had a frost (i.e. 32°F or lower) in Bude since December 18, and that is very unusual, even round here. In all that time day temperatures have made at least 10°C, 50°F almost every day and have hit 13°C+ several times. January, completely frost-free? What's going on! And last January was even warmer. My grass needs mowing! :boggle:
If I could get to the airport, I'd be tempted to come visit! :lol:

I've put some snow pictures on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =622952654
Charlene
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I don't know, we get the sub-zero stuff in winter, and the tripple digits in late summer. I've heard similar about the Northern Plains states.
Seems like Michigan (where Mrs. Badger's folks hail from) is sort of the same way, but of course they have humidity to make it even better!

Ah well, spring, early summer, and fall are lovely. :)

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Just read page 3 of this thread, and my point was already made for me.

But this past sunday, for a few glorious hours, the temperature hovered in the low 40's, and the sound of dripping water was everywhere. It was a hopeful reminder that spring will come, eventually.

I am so ready for it. It is cruel and wrong that the seed and flower catalogs start to arrive during this, the coldest time of the year. These people are sick, sick, sick...

I remember, when I was a kid, my dad coming in from snow shoveling and saying,
"I'm going to tie this shovel to the top of the car,
then drive south until someone asks me what it is.
Then I'm going to stop and buy a house."

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Our governor just declared a "snow emergency" for most of Eastern Washington. http://www.nwcn.com/topstories/stories/ ... db3fb.html

Maybe my street will finally be plowed.
Charlene