Macbook question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Macbook question

Post by FJohnSharp »

Re the photo and video software that comes on it, are they full versions or trial versions? Are they pretty good programs or would someone wanting to do a lot of video editing probably want to get something better?

Thanks in advance
emmline

Post by emmline »

iPhoto serves my needs quite well, but it's not Photoshop, so if you're going to do anything fancier than red-eye reduction and cropping you might need more.

As for iMovie...well, I don't use it. It has a good reputation though. I will have to defer to someone with expertise in that area.
Boody
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Boody »

I just bought a new macbook. iMovie is a full version, and aperture (which I think is the photo editor) is trial. There is iPhoto, but I think that is just for organizing pictures.

I made a video on iMovie for a homework assignment, and I thought it went pretty good, but I don't know how professional you need.
I wish I could tell you more, but I don't really know much about picture and video software. On the whole though, my macbook pro is an awesome computer and I would recommend it.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Boody wrote: On the whole though, my macbook pro is an awesome computer and I would recommend it.
And you can use photobooth to make cool avatars.

<---That is a "comic book" one. I don't like it very much. I'm getting rid of it soon.
Now it's gone.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I'd love to get Aperture, but, alas, my computer is two slow. My understanding is Aperture is Apple's equivalent to Adobe Elements. Aperture is really handy when you start shooting/working with RAW files.
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Imovie does a great job and is easy to learn to use. One thing to consider is the size of the hard drive. The movies take up lots of space, so if you have imovie in mind, it's best to get the book with the superdrive to burn DVDs and a hard drive that's bigger than the base model. This way, you can burn movies onto DVD to store off your machine.

Jef
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Doesn't the MacBook come with Graphic Converter? My ~5-year-old Powerbook did. Again, it's not Photoshop, but it does have redeye reduction and a few other basic photo editing tools. It's really good for getting the green out of pics taken in fluorescent lighting. If it doesn't come with the computer, it's only about $25, and well worth it.

I've also heard good things about iMovie. A friend of mine showed a disc he'd made that had his commencement and (very informal) wedding on it. Good scene segues, he put background music in it and everything. It was quite well-done, and he said the software was really easy to learn. I've just used it to transfer tapes to DVD, along with editing out scenes. I've no complaints.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

You might take a look at dvinfo.net. It has a section on Mac post production and stuff. More than I would ever need but lots of pros hang out there.

Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi