Doolin Whistle.. Reviews please!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tony Fletcher UK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tony Fletcher UK »

Hi,
Anyone tried one of theses? what are they like????
Thankyou:-
Tony Fletcher UK
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

They are pretty quiet and breathy. I like mine quite a bit and play it alot. I got it from Shana Quay along with my Cillian OBriain(sp) improved whistle as a free with purchase deal. I like it better than the improved whistle. To each their own.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I would not describe the Doolins I have tried as breathy. Look at archives of the newsletter. There's an article by Dale about a Doolin that I sent to him. There is also information about it in the C&F inexpensive whistles page. It's a very nice Generation-style whistle, and the production is much more reliable than Generations.

Jessie
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I guess I got a lemon. Lots of folks like theirs, but mine was unplayable. I did the sticky tack thing, etc, but I couldn't get anything more than the sound of air blowing through it. From what the others are saying, maybe I just got a bad one.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I like my Doolin one piece-it's a nice,traditional sounding whistle,pretty mellow sounding.I also have the two piece,which i hardly ever play for some reason or other-too many whistles?( NO!delete that last phrase!)I must compare them sometime.Mind you,i have done the standard 'bluetack thing on the one piece.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

I have a Doolin - free with a purchase from
Shanna Quay.

Having tried it - it is a quiet whistle.
However it keeps the whistles in the dark whistle drawer company!

Not a whistle I can recommend - sorry!
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I really like my Doolin 2pc; beautiful tone, with just the right amount of chiff. Really sings up high. Only thing is that the breath req. is too low for my liking. Other than that, it's a great whistle.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I think of my 2 piece as a car/purse whistle, but not for making music at home or in session. Its perfectly good for practice in a situation where, if it was destroyed, I'd shrug and move on.

The joint between the top and bottom has loosened over the past couple of months, making some of the notes less reliable. Maybe a twist of teflon would help there.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

I've been using a Doolin for a month or two now, so I'll do my best to help you out.
As you are aware, the design follows the basic Generation style of construction. The fipple has a flattened section on the underside which stops the whistle rolling off the table....sorry, I couldn't resist mentioning that!!!
The tubing has a rather "unfinished" texture which I find appealing, and it won't slip around like a nickel plated whistle sometimes does.
When played, the whistle reqires very gentle input of breath, or the sound can break up: this explains why it plays quite quietly. As others have mentioned, the tone is quite soft, more full bodied than my Hoover, but less sweet; less focussed than my modified Cillain O'Brian, but more gentle on the ear. It is a very easy player provided you can avoid overblowing.
I have a drawer full of inexpensive whistles which I have found uninspiring, but this one has a certain charm and character which draws me to play it again and again.
It may not have the power to cut through a loud session, but is great to use elsewhere, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to you, in spite of the apparent risk of getting a poor example: hardly a problem exclusive to the Doolin!!

Good luck from a fellow UK whistler, and BTW, the other whistles I mentioned for comparison are both wonderful to use...the choice is yours.

Best wishes, Adrian
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

While it plays very well and has a great tone, my Doolin has considerably less back pressure than other whistles of that type (Generation, Oak, Feadog, etc.).
CDon

Post by CDon »

On 2002-11-25 08:08, tyghress wrote:
The joint between the top and bottom has loosened over the past couple of months, making some of the notes less reliable. Maybe a twist of teflon would help there.
I once had a telescoping Laughing Whistle that had one joint that was too tight. I contacted Noah Herbison on how to adjust the fit of the joints, and these were his instructions:

"It's pretty easy to loosen or tighten the joints. To loosen them, just take the bottom section off. You will notice that the end that fits into the middle section is flared slightly. Just roll this against a hard surface like a countertop, while applying gentle pressure. Try this a few times until it is just right. If it is too loose, stick something into the end, push gently, and twist all the way around. I use a pair of closed needle nosed pliers, but other hard things would work."

You might try both expanding the 'inside' tubing end and constricting the 'outside' tubing end of the two sections using these techniques. May tighten things back up.

Edited cause I left a word out, and it didn't make sense. May not anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CDon on 2002-11-25 23:58 ]</font>
klezmusic

Post by klezmusic »

Never heard anybody play a Doolin Whistle. Doolin Banjo, now that's another matter entirely. Heard wayyyyy too many of those.
Wendina

--
B sharp, C?
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Here's a sound clip of my Doolin. Pardon the buzz I get at one point. (I just wanted to show what it sounds like when you overblow a Doolin. Yeah, right! LOL!)
http://pw2.netcom.com/~ridseard/bruach3.mp3
AnnaDMartinez
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

My last Doolin ended up painted green and in Sandy Skogland installation called "Green" in the Apex Gallery at the School of Mines and Technology in Rapid City! I hope it sounded much better with all that green spray paint! It liked it the least of all my whistles. It was a good way for it to go!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Nice clip,Ridseard.One listen is worth a thousand words(or something like that!).