Virtual Session? Virtual Lessons?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bowjest
antispam: No

Post by bowjest »

Shall we make it 10am US/Canadian time?

That's fine for me.

What do the rest of you think? Probably the most important person here is Daiv as I've only been playing a few weeks, so I'm looking for input in the face of possibly making an ass of myself. :D
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

bowjest wrote:Shall we make it 10am US/Canadian time?

That's fine for me.

What do the rest of you think? Probably the most important person here is Daiv as I've only been playing a few weeks, so I'm looking for input in the face of possibly making an ass of myself. :D
10:00am EST is good for me.

I'll install and setup a skype account and make sure I pass on the contact info.

Yes, Daiv will be the key guy because I'm also a beginner...but I can teach someone how to blow a bad note very consistently so you would just need to do the opposite and then you'll be all set :lol: .
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

I'll be here after all. The trip to the beach is Sunday.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

mahanpots wrote:I'll be here after all. The trip to the beach is Sunday.

Michael
Michael, It's really great that you can attend as well. I've been listening to your clips and they really sound excellent.

I know it will be a great help to me.
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

It'll be interesting to see how it works. I've got DSL, but the slowest version of DSL.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

I'm using a cable modem. Peformance has been good for other web sharing applications I've used in the past but I've not used any VOIP software before so we'll see.

I've just installed Skype and am almost ready...except I forgot I need a microphone so I'll pick that up tomorrow sometime.
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Guys,

That's great. I'm really looking forward to it.

Shall we send mails or pm's from now on with our Skype details?

See you guys (well, at least hear you guys) on Saturday.
karl

Post by karl »

bowjest wrote:Mahanpots,

Can I get a show of hands on who would like to take part in an initial meeting/session and where you're located (so we can try to think of a time of day that includes all or as many as possible)?
I would be inerested. Like MichaelR I'm a newbie so will probably listen more than anything.
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

The more the better!

Not sure what restriction there is on conferencing (if any), but hey, we'll soon find out.

If anyone has a problem being added to the conference, though, or if we get a message about a maximum number of participants, just stay logged into here and I'll post a message and maybe we can do two sessions.

Sound good?
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Guys,

I've done a cursory look around and it does look like Skype limits a conference to 4 participants plus the host. That seems ok with the people we have so far:

karl
mahanpots
MichaelR
daiv

Add in me and that's 4 + host.

I'll send you all a pm with my Skype ID. If you each send me a pm with yours I think we'll be covered.
daiv

Post by daiv »

i dont know if that works for me.

everyone will be sleeping. i live in the dorms at school; my roommate and i will be up but most people will not.

i was supposed to bring my computer this weekend, but that never happened. so i'd have to get someone else to let me use theirs.

i'll look into it. i'm going to see if someone might let me bring their laptop into our private dining room downstairs.

believe you me: i'm just as bummed about this as you guys! i got an online lesson on thursday, and i'm scrambling to find someone to let me use their laptop for that, too!

i'll keep you guys posted.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I've used a free service called ustream.tv to do broadcasts for my tradlessons site. Its a one-to-many model with one video stream and audio stream being broadcast to multiple viewers, there is also a text-based chat window where everyone can chat.

Check it out at:
http://www.ustream.tv

you can even create your own custom broadcast channels for scheduled events, for example mine is:

http://www.ustream.tv/tradlessons

I've not been impressed with the quality of flute or whistle via Skype even on a fast broadband connection, the audio codecs they use are optimized for voice and high frequencies turn into jibberish.

ustream.tv and other conferencing sites like that are using the Flash 9 audio codec, which in my experience does pretty well with flute and whistle frequencies.

I'd be happy to setup a demo broadcast later this week if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Michael
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Daiv,

I understand. We can always reschedule if this weekend is a problem, so "no blood, no foul".

Eskin,

I'd be very interested in seeing a demo of what you use. Sounds really interesting!

Please tell us more if you have time.

Will
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

eskin wrote:I'd be happy to setup a demo broadcast later this week if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks for the offer Michael.

I'd be interested as well.
karl

Post by karl »

eskin wrote: I'd be happy to setup a demo broadcast later this week if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Michael
I'd be interested in that as well Michael.

Karl