Playing the Whistle While Driving Your Car

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Greg The Pianotuner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Playing the Whistle While Driving Your Car

Post by Greg The Pianotuner »

If the airbag in your car ever inflated while you were driving and playing the whistle...

I don't think I'll ever do it again.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Good idea. Glad it occurred to you in time.
riverman

Post by riverman »

...but you'd die happy! :lol:
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Whistling while driving? That's insane! Can't wait till arrive home? :lol:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I quit playing while driving (no airbag, but I did try it once or twice :o). Now I play during long red lights and construction/wreck delays (I hate the ones that continually creep along), but I keep an eye on the rear view mirror. I also play while getting gas or waiting on orders from a fast food joint.

It is funny, but you get faster service in a walk in resturant :boggle:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Does somebody have a link to that video of a guy in Spain (as I recall) playing a recorder in his car getting rear-ended?
But yes, I do this quite a bit though not as much as I used to.
I actually have a high D, a low D, and a Scottish practice chanter in my car.
I used to do the six-hour drive to our largest Scottish festival playing the practice chanter nearly the entire way.
The real master of this sort of thing was a Scottish piper I used to know who would both get dressed in his kilts and warm up his entire set of bagpipes while driving to the funeral or wedding he was going to perform at, at around 90mph. He never got pulled over by the CHP, never had an accident. All in his 1968 Mustang- no airbags to worry about!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Do not play the whistle while you are driving. Do not play the whistle even at red lights. Both of those things are or sound illegal to me and are a safety hazard. If you must play the whistle, pull over, put the car in park, maybe even turn the motor off, then whistle to your hearts content.

Said like the true geezer that I am.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Ctrl Alt Del

Post by Ctrl Alt Del »

I'm in the pull over to the side of the road category. It's a good excuse to have a bit of a rest during the drive. In Australia it's called "stop, revive, survive".
I find that I need rebooting every now and then!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

pancelticpiper wrote:Does somebody have a link to that video of a guy in Spain (as I recall) playing a recorder in his car getting rear-ended?
But yes, I do this quite a bit though not as much as I used to.
I actually have a high D, a low D, and a Scottish practice chanter in my car.
I used to do the six-hour drive to our largest Scottish festival playing the practice chanter nearly the entire way.
The real master of this sort of thing was a Scottish piper I used to know who would both get dressed in his kilts and warm up his entire set of bagpipes while driving to the funeral or wedding he was going to perform at, at around 90mph. He never got pulled over by the CHP, never had an accident. All in his 1968 Mustang- no airbags to worry about!
Putting aside the risk to yourself, it puts others at risk. Like, children in other cars. Don't do this. Seriously. Stop.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

riverman wrote:...but you'd die happy! :lol:
Wrong activity.... :o
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Denny

Post by Denny »

IDAwHOa wrote:
riverman wrote:...but you'd die happy! :lol:
Wrong activity.... :o
gives one pause, it does....
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Funny, the first time I played while driving the first thing I thought of was that airbag going off. So, I purposely played with the whistle at an angle. I figured that would end up better than having the whistle shoved through my head.

Of course I've since decided that it's best to leave whistlin' time to parked time - but once in a while I play a few seconds at a red light.

The worst one I've seen was a guy playing a guitar while driving. He was in a small car and the headstock and part of the neck were actually sticking out of the window. And I'm sure it was pretty crowded between his belly and the steering wheel.

Jason
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i do it all the time in rush hour, and on my way to college when the roads are always backed up.
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

It's kind of a strange conundrum....

on the one hand, if the airbag ever did deploy, i'd be royally screwed if i had a whistle in my mouth.

On the other hand, in 33 years of life and driving and being driven almost every day, i've never had an airbag deploy. I have been in a few accidents, but never one such as to cause my airbag to deploy.

Something in my mind tells me "nah, no risk, your airbag has never even deployed, why not whistle at this stop light?" On the other hand.....

I wonder if it's a bit safer playing a flute at a stop light...
"Well, rhythm, i think, if it's rhythmatic, that's the whole thing. Technique and everything comes second, i think, to the rhythm." --Mary Bergin