Loren is Mean, Loren Is Sour Grapes, Blah, Blah, Blah

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Kevin you have a Wylde too?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Aanvil wrote:Kevin you have a Wylde too?
That is if I give it back to him! :twisted: It used to be a computer...
You will have to come by and check it out.
It is marked:

Wylde
from
Rudall & Rose
25 Villiers st.
Strand
London
:party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Started out as firewood, but Jon will give it new life.

Kevin Krell
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Started out as firewood

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

M
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

kkrell wrote:
Started out as firewood, but Jon will give it new life.

Kevin Krell
In a round about way they all start out as potential firewood. :D

Well if anyone can get it working its Jon. I have one of his Wylde and he has mine right now.

I'll have to go check it out while its still in Jon's ICU and see how close it is to mine.

Of all the ones if have seen up close so far they tend to be sterling players.

Poorman's Rudalls ;)
Aanvil

I am not an expert
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I have edited the title of this thread to more accurately reflect the majority of the thread's content. Honestly I can't imagine why the mods allow the constant self promotion that goes on here, when one posting a month about one's goods and services is all that's allowed.

I'm still looking for a Murray Flute, but I'll just have to go start another thread about that I suppose.

Loren
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

No intentional Highjacking intended.

Threads have the tendency to stray.

Sorry about that.

Now... you could have just bumped it with a restatement of your intent rather just being a bum.

I'm using the Queen's English colloquialism of the word bum by the way.

So sad.
Aanvil

I am not an expert
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Loren wrote:I have edited the title of this thread to more accurately reflect the majority of the thread's content. Honestly I can't imagine why the mods allow the constant self promotion that goes on here, when one posting a month about one's goods and services is all that's allowed.

I'm still looking for a Murray Flute, but I'll just have to go start another thread about that I suppose.

Loren
Here's the policy:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=10315

I have to agree that Loren has a point, here. As to the mods letting it slide, I can only plead some sort of weird blind spot that made me regard Jon's photos and such as merely postings of one's latest craftsmanly projects. But in that Jon C . does have a business going, such posts arguably fall under promotion even if his intent was not consciously that.

So, yes, Jon, I think it would be best, and fair to all, if you posted such things only once a month; having multiple projects, you can always cover all you've got going for that period in one initial topic. But if the case would be of showing before-and-after photos in the use of lavender oil in treating flutewood blech, say, or if you mentioned in a discussion of seating pewter plugs, "Here's what I had to do in this particular situation..." and maybe showed a pic to illustrate the point, to me that wouldn't fall under promotion so long as it was instructional or solution-based only, and kept germane to the discussion. Context counts.

If makers and sellers have any questions ever when it comes to commercial or potentially commercial situations, please be sure to contact a mod about it. We'll work something out if the policy seems unclear on some things - which, to me, it doesn't, so far.

Thanks for your cooperation.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Loren wrote:
Another shameless Jon C. commercial self promotion thread
I have edited the title of this thread to more accurately reflect the majority of the thread's content. Honestly I can't imagine why the mods allow the constant self promotion that goes on here, when one posting a month about one's goods and services is all that's allowed.

Loren
Sounds like a rotten bunch of sour grapes to me.
~~~~
Barry
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Whatever one may think about the charitability of Loren's choice of words in renaming the thread's title, he's still right about the commercial thing.

Me, I would have preferred a PM about it. But there you have it. Let's make the best of it, and move on.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
daiv

Post by daiv »

Jon C. wrote: That has to be the loudest Boxwood Rudall I have ever played. Maybe a little lavender oil will kill the mold? I like the blue streaks, kind of a camo look.
I am re-working the sockets, as they are a little loose, and some of the keys needa little shoring up, but it is a great flute.
grapefruit seed oil would kill the mold, and is odorless. tea tree oil would kill the mold too, but is definitely not odorless. the latter would probably be easier to get a hold of than the former.
daiv

Post by daiv »

Nanohedron wrote:Whatever one may think about the charitability of Loren's choice of words in renaming the thread's title, he's still right about the commercial thing.

Me, I would have preferred a PM about it. But there you have it. Let's make the best of it, and move on.
i disagree that he is correct. i have pm'ed you about it.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

What will I do for Eye-Candy if Jon stops posting pictures of his projects and acquisitions? :swear:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Sillydill wrote:What will I do for Eye-Candy if Jon stops posting pictures of his projects and acquisitions? :swear:
Dude. We still get the eye candy. I didn't ask him to stop.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The problem is that Jon's projects and acquisitions are predominantly instruments that he is either fixing for pay or fixing up for sale. Likewise with Jem, for example.

The rules here are pretty clear: Advertising one's work, in words and/or photos, is acceptable once a month only. An ongoing monthly "My latest ebay flute" falls outside the rules. Posting pictures of paid restoration projects and discussing other paid restoration projects in addition to one's monthly allowable commercial post is also breaking the rules. Doing so in the middle of another board members thread, is both against the rules and down right rude.

There is no reason that Jon can't start his own website and post all the photos and descriptions of his work that he wants there, as other makers have done. No one is suggesting that he shouldn't be allowed his monthly commercial post, all that's being asked is that everyone be held to the same standard - a standard that was set some time ago and has generally been adhered to by the other makers who frequent this and the other C&F boards.

Loren