(rant) grocery baggers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Okay youse guys: if you ever find yourself in the UK just be prepared for there being nobody but you to put your stuff in bags. This is in the fine tradition of British Service (there is none).

I liked Walden's post about Baggers can't be Juicers, but my daughter thinks he should be punished. :wink:

Last time I was at the local Supermarket for milk I grabbed a bag and ran. It was pouring with rain. The bag broke and the plastic bottles bounced. When I got them back to the office there was a leak in each one (where they bounced). We had to decant the milk into the previous bottles.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Okay youse guys: if you ever find yourself in the UK just be prepared for there being nobody but you to put your stuff in bags. This is in the fine tradition of British Service (there is none).
Yes IB, I discovered this at a Waitrose in South Kensington, London, while visiting my sister-in-law.
There's me, blithely standing there like a numbskull while the cashier rings everything up. She's done, I pay, and there are the people behind me just giving me this look. You know the one.
I caught on with a five second delay and shoved my stuff in a bag with no concern for smashed cookies. (ahem. biscuits.)
emmline

Post by emmline »

susnfx wrote:I loathe those do-it-yourself lanes...you do their job but get no discount for doing it. I have used them on occasion when there was nobody there and the other lines were long, but I get so angry at the talking machine I can hardly be trusted not to do it bodily harm.
Oh yes. They can be aggravating. Especially if you bring a weird teenager who, just for kicks, sticks his hand under the lasers just as your Kix cereal is going under the bridge. Freaks the machine out, it does, and it screeches into reverse and sends your Kix right back to you, and voids the item.

But I still have this compulsion to master the system. I'm weird that way, so I keep at it. I like to try to get my stuff through really fast, so that the voice doesn't have time to say "...savings: 53¢" Then, at the end, it has to spit all that stuff out, and as you walk off, it may still be saying "savings: 34¢, savings: 12¢, savings: $1.25," as the next person is standing there waiting for it to let him/her start.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Most modern grocery checkout lanes are not designed for using paper bags. There is usually a revolving plastic bag holder that allows the checkout person to bag the groceries immediately after they have been scanned. I was at my store this week, and the woman in front of me asked for paper bags. The store had them, but the checkout person had to go get them. It was a time-consuming process because there was no good place to sit the paper bag in order to fill it. The customer ended up having to fill the bags herself, sitting the bag in her shopping cart. Why, I ask, do I have to choose these lines to wait in?
Around here the platforms they fill the plastic bags on are the right size for paper, too.

I've seen Giant and Stop and Shop both mentioned -- They're owned by the same (Dutch) company now. I've been wanting to try my Giant savings card at Stop and Shop, where I go a few times a year, but haven't been in the right mood yet.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I don't know about your local recycling, but here we can recycle plastic grocery bags in our curbside recycle bin.

One of our local chains defaults to paper bags, but I won't use them because those pathetic handles fall off halfway up my very steep driveway (almost inevitably the handle on the bag with the eggs or the bottle of wine in it!). I bought a bunch of those bags the chains are all selling now, but they fell apart after the second or third use (and couldn't be recycled!). I have cloth bags that I use when I remember them, but otherwise I ask for plastic and just recycle it (those which I don't use for cleaning the cat box or cleaning up after the dog, that is).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

People who work in grocery stores are underpaid and often times not the most educated people in the world. Try to remain kind in all your dealings with them. It'll help you both.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Cranberry wrote:People who work in grocery stores are underpaid and often times not the most educated people in the world. Try to remain kind in all your dealings with them. It'll help you both.
One of my first jobs was produce clerk in a supermarket. I've smartened up since then.

Later I was a night clerk in a convenience store. The store shamelessly exploited the elderly folks in senior housing across the street. It also attracted some of the dumbest customers o ne can imagine. I'm reminder of the comment that criminals should have to pass a test to be criminals and the the ones who ripped off convenience stores flun ked the test.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

dwinterfield wrote:
Cranberry wrote:People who work in grocery stores are underpaid and often times not the most educated people in the world. Try to remain kind in all your dealings with them. It'll help you both.
One of my first jobs was produce clerk in a supermarket. I've smartened up since then.

Later I was a night clerk in a convenience store. The store shamelessly exploited the elderly folks in senior housing across the street. It also attracted some of the dumbest customers o ne can imagine. I'm reminder of the comment that criminals should have to pass a test to be criminals and the the ones who ripped off convenience stores flun ked the test.
We had an attempted robbery of a convenience store here in Indianapolis this last week. The robber reached for his gun and accidently shot himself in the testicle and groin. Ouch!!! He later was arrested at a nearby hospital.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:But I still have this compulsion to master the system. I'm weird that way, so I keep at it. I like to try to get my stuff through really fast, so that the voice doesn't have time to say "...savings: 53¢" Then, at the end, it has to spit all that stuff out, and as you walk off, it may still be saying "savings: 34¢, savings: 12¢, savings: $1.25," as the next person is standing there waiting for it to let him/her start.
Mr Izz likes to use the self check out to learn Spanish. He's convinced that if he hit's the Spanish button rather than having it just tell you how much you've saved in English, that somehow that will teach him how to speak Spanish fluently. If anything, he'll be able to tell someone to check the bottom of their grocery cart before checking out the next time he's in Barcelona :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

chas wrote: I've been wanting to try my Giant savings card at Stop and Shop, where I go a few times a year, but haven't been in the right mood yet.
You can do that here...with I think my P&C card and my Price Chopper card. It's loads of fun to go through the line and give them the card for the other store, and assure them that it really will work. It's even funnier to see their faces when it does :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I bring one cloth bag and if they have a bagger I tell them it MUST all fit in the one bag. They sometimes look at me crazy but they do it. Sometimes they are even amazed it all fits. (It helps that I shop with the little plastic hand-basket rather than the rolling cart -- then I'm pretty sure it'll fit in the one bag, but once in a while it's really close.)

Plastic is evil. All our food is wrapped in multiple layers of it. There were layers lain on the fields when it was grown, layers wrapped around it before it went to be processed, more layers wrapped around it to send it to market, more layers when you purchased it, more layers when you stored the leftovers, more layers when you threw it away. And it's all still out there somewhere because it never biodegrades. It's horrifying when you think of all the plastic. :boggle:
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
chas

Post by chas »

I have never been unkind to a grocery-store checker; as far as I can remember I've never been unkind to anyone in a service position unless that person has been nasty to me first. My post is more about the policies of the specific grocery store and potentially the training or lack thereof they give to their employees.

Oh, and the store in question is a union shop, I know at least one person who works there and she's very well paid.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I keep a harmonica in my pocket. One of the places that I'll play is waiting in line at the grocery store. The cashiers and the bag people treat me very nicely. One of the baggers plays the ocarina.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

sbfluter wrote:... more layers when you stored the leftovers, more layers when you threw it away. And it's all still out there somewhere because it never biodegrades. It's horrifying when you think of all the plastic. :boggle:
The greenhouse company I order from is starting to offer plastic pots that are biodegradable. Wasn't there something about biodegradable plastic being used in the food industry but there turned out to be some problems with it? It sounds like a good idea though.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Caroluna wrote:
sbfluter wrote:... more layers when you stored the leftovers, more layers when you threw it away. And it's all still out there somewhere because it never biodegrades. It's horrifying when you think of all the plastic. :boggle:
The greenhouse company I order from is starting to offer plastic pots that are biodegradable. Wasn't there something about biodegradable plastic being used in the food industry but there turned out to be some problems with it? It sounds like a good idea though.
I actually recently bought some doggie cleanup bags that are biodegradable.

Sorry sbfluter, but I'm not about to use paper bags to clean up after the dog!

It's actually debatable whether paper or plastic bags are more environmentally unfriendly. Degradablity is only one of the many issues. Definitely cloth bags are best, if you can remember them...the real cloth bags, not the ones made of recycled plastic they sell for 99 cents just about everywhere anymore (which fall apart after a few uses, and CAN'T be put in the recycle bin). String bags are even better...you'd be amazed at what you can fit in a string bag! Remembering them is, unfortunately, the biggest problem.

On a side note, I was shocked when we went to England to find that I was the only member of our group who thought to bring a cloth shopping bag! Aside from the environmental issues, have you ever tried to carry several bottles of wine a mile or more in a standard plastic grocery bag? Ouch! The handles turn to dental floss in less than a block! Everybody got in the habit of sending me for groceries because, between my cloth shopping bag and the small knapsack I use as a carry-on when traveling, I could carry everything from Tesco to the flat without pain! :lol: I only wish I'd brought a few more, but I figured everybody'd have at least one, since at least two of the guidebooks I read before going recommended them!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!