Go away, Bozo.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

chrisoff wrote:
buddhu wrote: Anyone remember the movie Killer Klowns from Outer Space?
Yes! I came into this thread just to post about it... damn you.
Oops. Soz, mate.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Clowns are to the jester tradition as Wonder is to bread.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

I encounter a lot of clowns everyday. :D
The'yre usually busy either tailgating me or cutting me off, or making a right hand turn from the left hand lane in front of me, behind the wheel of something like this.[/url]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dale wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:...which is why I've always preferred mimes. :thumbsup:
Yeah. That's another one. Nobody likes mimes. Nobody. I always had to fight the fantasy of, you know, making one talk.
Like stabbing one. You can't gesticulate "Ow, you sonofab*tch". I fight the fantasy, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Terry Prachett's Diskworld books had a few things to say about clowns.

Wyrd Sisters was one: Men at Arms was another.

Basically, Mr P agrees with you.

I dislike clowns, and furthermore feel there is a racial element to a clown's makeup.
The red hair, the pale face, the red nose, the small eyes and the big smile. European subcategory of Irish/Scottish/Cornish/Breton, or "Celtic" for short. People are being taught to laugh at a particular racial group. Not so nice. And Mr Whiteface is, of course, the AngloSaxon "Normal" who is not funny. He is the straight man.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Heyokas are cool, though.

Last edited by Nanohedron on Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Terry Prachett's Diskworld books had a few things to say about clowns.

I dislike clowns, and furthermore feel there is a racial element to a clown's makeup.
The red hair, the pale face, the red nose, the small eyes and the big smile. European subcategory of Irish/Scottish/Cornish/Breton, or "Celtic" for short. People are being taught to laugh at a particular racial group. Not so nice. And Mr Whiteface is, of course, the AngloSaxon "Normal" who is not funny. He is the straight man.
I suppose one can read racism in just about anything.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Arguably, though, the shoe does fit. Why red hair - and the rest - as the traditional standard, after all??

Although that big red smear around the mouth has always been weird and inexplicable to me. What does it signify? Nothing I can tell.

We just have to face it, everyone: circus-type clowns are not intrinsically funny based on appearance. We're just taught that.

Sometimes their acts are funny.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard IB! But maybe it's just that I'm not used to being part of an ethnic category (other than female) that is being stereotyped. As person of Celtic heritage I don't especially feel mocked by clowns.
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

Well, I always liked the way a whole bunch of circus clowns could climb into a Crosley.

Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Terry Prachett's Diskworld books had a few things to say about clowns.

I suppose one can read racism in just about anything.

Depends the color of the clown's makeup?

Either way... curly wig, exaggerated lips, bulky suit & tie, white gloves...
Reasonable person
Walden
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

But isnt the classic clown costume a derivation of the Italian "Comedia Dell'Arte?"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

CHasR wrote:But isnt the classic clown costume a derivation of the Italian "Comedia Dell'Arte?"
The vestments, perhaps. Here's Trivelino, a variant of Arlecchino (or Harlequin):

By the way:

Ronald's gotta lose the 'do. It is so 80s. He should sport a mullet. Now that would be funny.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Dale wrote:
cowtime wrote:I never liked or disliked them- except this one- and I did like to watch Emmit Kelly Jr. on tv when I was a kid. My grandmother had a doll like this one- it use to have the hat too- and now I have it in my bedroom.

I loathed all clowns except Emmit Kelly, Jr., who I was able to tolerate.
I liked Emmett Kelly, too. But there were two of them--father and son. The son, Emmett Kelly, Jr., copied his dad's act, estranging the two.

He wasn't the irritating sort of clown. According to Wikipedia, "Weary Willie" was modeled on a Depression-era tramp, which would have been a familiar figure to people at that time. His acts entertained me because they tried to do the impossible or improbable. Wikipedia mentions two of them -- sweeping up a circle of light from a circus spotlight with a big broom and trying to crack a peanut with a sledgehammer. (The origin of Sledgeomatic?)

There is a website linked down at the bottom, Clown Ministry, that has a nice bio of Emmett Kelly. I didn't link it here to save you the popups. Grrr. Maybe you can block them.

It also explains the three types of clowns. (Ooooh! Annoying!)
Cotelette d'Agneau