PADDY WARD DELRIN FLUTE- NO LONGER AVAILABLE

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

PADDY WARD DELRIN FLUTE- NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Post by sponge »

Hi all

I am selling my lovelly Paddy Ward flute delrin and silver in ( D ) I made a more sturdy case for it as I travel a fair bit, it also has a soft cloth case with four sections not shown in the pics, its a great flute great sound and the build quality is second to none, I am having a Rudall flute made as we speak, with time constraints one flute is all I need, I put the flute on hold whilst waiting for confirmation of my new one, the Ward flute is a copy of a hawkes flute and I suppose I would say its sort of between a Rudall and a Pratten but it does not take a whole load of air to fill, and to me it does not require a demanding embouchure, the sweet spot when hit right is fabulous with a great bottom D.

PM me or e-mail via the e-mail link.

as the last one went on for $700 I am asking the same, I can ship most places in the world Pm me for costs of shipping to your location.

cheers sponge.
:D Image
Last edited by sponge on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

BUMPITY BUMP.

THE PADDY WARD DELRIN IS NOW BACK FOR SALE AS I HAVE CONFIRMATION OF MY NEW RUDALL FLUTES IMMINENT DELIVERY.

PM OR E-MAIL ME

CHEERS SPONGE :)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Please give us a report on the new flute...
your enthusiasm is contagious!
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

wow this delrin flute is expensive... :o
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Othannen wrote:wow this delrin flute is expensive... :o
No it's not. Trust me.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Doc Jones wrote:
Othannen wrote:wow this delrin flute is expensive... :o
No it's not. Trust me.

Doc
Aye, and that's what kills me. How do you afford a good flute without knocking off the local bank? A fella let me play one of those delrin jobbies recently at an open mic night. Mighty nice, but mighty expensive.

Best,

LJ
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

You get what you pay for...

I tried a Ward some months ago and it's worth every penny.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

littlejohngael wrote:Aye, and that's what kills me. How do you afford a good flute without knocking off the local bank? A fella let me play one of those delrin jobbies recently at an open mic night. Mighty nice, but mighty expensive.
£350-ish for a known good quality instrument is not expensive in anyone's money! Nor is that significantly more expensive than Delrin flutes from other makers, even the ones who pump out quite high volumes of them.
As I've said before when topics like this come up, you can buy a very decent brand new flute suitable for up to good intermediate level playing, Boehm or keyless simple system, for a similar price to such items as e.g. a kayak or a windsurfer or a pair of skis or a push bike - not the bottom of the range nasty cheapies, but not getting into pro-sport levels, just decent, serviceable items. In "hobby" equipment terms, it really isn't dear. What's the problem? (Apart from actually finding the money to follow one's hobbies, of course!) Add in that one is paying for the hard- and long-earnt craft skills of the maker (unlike most of the factory produced items I mentioned for comparison) and find out a bit about what is involved in actually making one of these things, and the price of what deceptively seems a rather simple product should appear quite reasonable - to a reasonable person. If you want a keyless flute for under £100/U$200, buy one of the Pakistani table-legs, then burn it; better yet, buy one of the German antiques off eBay, do it up and with a little luck get yourself a decent 8-keyer: but don't bleat about the fair market price of a good new flute, or as in this case, a perfect condition 2nd hand one! Happily these things do not significantly lose value (unless damaged), unlike most other goods.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

I think this is ultimately a matter of opinion and taste. Opinions vary.

My primary instrument is the double bass. If you want to talk about prices for instruments, let's talk about them! :)

My point being: an orchestra-quality bass can cost as much as you're willing to pay (think very, very large amounts of money).

On the other end of the scale, you can get rock-a-billy basses for a few hundred pounds (I mean real dog house basses that people then take apart and re-inforce with extra braces so they can stand on them when they play).

I'll never own the first sort and wouldn't have the second, but both markets exist.

My current double bass set me back about £2,000. That's pretty cheap for a good instrument (£4,000 for a decent instrument is more common). But I know that because I've been playing for over 20 years. I got lucky with this instrument.

I'm a beginner with Irish flute. I've been playing about 3 weeks. So for me, £350 for a simple system delrin flute is expensive. I say that because I'm just learning. I suppose I could buy a Tony Dixon 3-piece Delrin (I was quoted £180 by Tony himself and I've even played one - nice!), but I've decided to save up a bit of money and buy one from Carl Bell (see the Carl Bell flute thread. He has been highly recommended by several people, among them Steafan Hannigan).

Now, as a beginner, I have no idea how Carl's flutes compare to the one for sale in this thread. But considering the great feedback I've had so far on his instruments I feel very happy to buy from him. It will be a brand new instrument for less than the one being sold in this thread, so for me (and I re-iterate, that's just for me personally) it's the prefered way to go.

It just depends on the individual and what he or she can afford. I hope in a few years when I'm (hopefully) much better, I can buy a wood flute (or even better, a wood flute with keys).

We'll just have to see. But at this point in time, I'm going for what I can afford and I'm looking forward to the experience.
DJ Allan Series 1 Pratten in lemon wood
Tony Dixon 3-piece
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

the ward flute is probably worth the price--I've never played
one but you can see how beautifully made it is
and the reports are that it sounds uncommonly good.

But there are less expensive delrin flutes that are reported
to be great performers, e.g. the forbes.

Not to mention less expensive wooden flutes.

So it seems to me everybody is right.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

It definitely is expensive if you are an American. Doesn't mean it's not worth the price, though. It's weird watching your purchasing power slip away.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Yeah, boo-hoo for us. Gas costs $3/gallon. I plan to spend the weekend driving around before the price goes up even more!

Surely, it makes financial sense for Americans to be patronizing the American makers these days.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
domino
Tell us something.: Flute,
Traditional music of Ireland and Scotland
Friend of County Clare
Lover of the West Wind and all who sail in her

Post by domino »

Just over $12 / gallon here in Scotland now !!!!!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It may be the initial prices of british, UK and irish makers
are lower than those of their american counterparts
(and perhaps this goes for flutesmyths elsewhere too),
so that their flutes are still not such a bad deal.
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

jemtheflute wrote:
littlejohngael wrote:Aye, and that's what kills me. How do you afford a good flute without knocking off the local bank? A fella let me play one of those delrin jobbies recently at an open mic night. Mighty nice, but mighty expensive.
As I've said before when topics like this come up, you can buy a very decent brand new flute suitable for up to good intermediate level playing, Boehm or keyless simple system, for a similar price to such items as e.g. a kayak or a windsurfer or a pair of skis or a push bike - not the bottom of the range nasty cheapies, but not getting into pro-sport levels, just decent, serviceable items. In "hobby" equipment terms, it really isn't dear.

Both an excellent point and an excellent analogy. Thanks for the perspective. :thumbsup:
jemtheflute wrote:What's the problem? (Apart from actually finding the money to follow one's hobbies, of course!)
Truly, though, this is what I was trying to say. Indeed, the workman's worth his wages, and I have no doubt that the flute is actually worth the money. Ah ... but getting the money. Therein lies the crux of my dilemma. :wink:

Best,

LJ