MESSENGER Approaches Mercury

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

MESSENGER Approaches Mercury

Post by Denny »

Enclose

Post by Enclose »

I can make that with photoshop... Don't think it's a real picture
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I like how they specified that it's the second in HUMAN history. Makes me wonder what they know that we don't...
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Can't you see the 1x4x9 black monolith in the background?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

I can't do a goofy graphic w/ this-- it's so perfect the way it is!

So here's some trivia from Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(mythology)
wiki wrote: Syncretism. When they described the gods of Celtic and Germanic tribes, rather than considering them separate deities, the Romans interpreted them as local manifestations or aspects of their own gods, a cultural trait called the interpretatio Romana. Mercury in particular was reported as becoming extremely popular among the nations the Roman Empire conquered; Julius Caesar wrote of Mercury being the most popular god in Britain and Gaul, regarded as the inventor of all the arts. This is probably because in the Roman syncretism, Mercury was equated with the Celtic god Lugus, and in this aspect was commonly accompanied by the Celtic goddess Rosmerta. Although Lugus may originally have been a deity of light or the sun (though this is disputed), similar to the Roman Apollo, his importance as a god of trade and commerce made him more comparable to Mercury, and Apollo was instead equated with the Celtic deity Belenus.[1]

In Celtic areas, Mercury was sometimes portrayed with three heads or faces, and at Tongeren, Belgium, a statuette of Mercury with three phalli was found, with the extra two protruding from his head and replacing his nose; this was probably because the number 3 was considered magical, making such statues good luck and fertility charms. The Romans also made widespread use of small statues of Mercury, probably drawing from the ancient Greek tradition of hermae markers.
So of course I had to check out these Hermai marker things....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herma

there's a picture of the statue I can't post here
Wiki wrote:
In ancient Greece, before his role as protector of merchants and travelers, Hermes was a phallic god, associated with fertility, luck, roads and borders. His name comes from the word herma (plural hermai) referring to a square or rectangular pillar of stone, terracotta, or bronze; a bust of Hermes' head, usually with a beard, sat on the top of the pillar, and male genitals adorned the base. The hermai were used as boundary markers on roads and borders. In Athens, they were placed outside houses for good luck. [The male genitals would be rubbed or anointed with olive oil to obtain luck].
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Enclose wrote:I can make that with photoshop... Don't think it's a real picture
I can make you with photoshop.
I don't think you're a real poster.
:P :wink:

Dale, I think we got ourselves another spammer, here!!! :twisted:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Enclose

Post by Enclose »

Err?

I'm just saying what I think about it. It looks fake to me
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Enclose wrote:Err?

Just click on the original picture. Takes you to the website. It's real alright. Better than Caroluna's new catnip pics. I am sure she will get around to doing something with it, though. :)
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

If you insist :wink:

Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Caroluna wrote:If you insist :wink:

Hmmm...that rendition makes me want to outgrabe with mome raths
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Yes. 'Twas......brillig, wasn't it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Nanohedron wrote:Yes. 'Twas......brillig, wasn't it.
Aye, 'twas.

No, if you'll excuse me...I've got to go feed the bandersnatch....

(hey, weren't we talking about bandersnatch in one o' jim stone's threads?? :P )
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I didn't even notice 'twas brilling!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Enclose

Post by Enclose »

Ronbo wrote:
Enclose wrote:Err?

Just click on the original picture. Takes you to the website. It's real alright. Better than Caroluna's new catnip pics. I am sure she will get around to doing something with it, though. :)
I just think it looks odd. The starless "sky", the lighting, the smooth feathered transition to darkness, and from most sources I found mercury is yellowish but I guess this is just a desaturated picture.

Anyhow, I've done some wikipedi'ing and I shall have to retract my statement :D It's real
Denny

Post by Denny »

Enclose wrote:Anyhow, I've done some wikipedi'ing and I shall have to retract my statement :D It's real
oh, good! we were getting worried.... :o