Change in Dale's Title

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:We have spoils to divide.
Jessica has had time to rest after talking to Jim.
Go for it!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Was there a newsletter? Am I too late?
Cotelette d'Agneau
Denny

Post by Denny »

not as late as the newsletter. :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote: We have spoils to divide.
I'm taking the ability to write in dry witticisms which convey a certain frustrated righteousness packaged as tossed off simplicity.
Denny

Post by Denny »

seems much more practical than one of the interns....and ya don't have to feed it!
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

emmline wrote:
I'm taking the ability to write in dry witticisms which convey a certain frustrated righteousness packaged as tossed off simplicity.
Dang, I wanted that one.
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

emmline wrote:
Busted.
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

On todays episode of Mythbusters we will examine if Dale actually writes newsletters.

Confirmed, Plausible or Busted?
missy

Post by missy »

ElPollo wrote:On todays episode of Mythbusters we will examine if Dale actually writes newsletters.

Ohhh - cool - I get to blow something up!!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

ElPollo wrote:On todays episode of Mythbusters we will examine if Dale actually writes newsletters.

The last issue was more than a year ago. When it comes to that newsletter, I've had a sort of writer's block for a year and I don't expect, frankly, to come out of it. I regret that because I think a lot of people enjoyed those newsletters and I had fun doing them. I think the block is due to a number of factors. I did them for 10 years and they all had a similar character. They had to contain SOME amount of actual information about whistles and it had to have some humorous content based, largely, on a single comic premise: That whistle and C&F were somehow a much bigger deal than they really are. But, that's a gag I can only maintain for so long. About 10 years, as it turned out. Also, as I learned more about whistles, I learned more about my own limitations as an "expert." I never really was one. I stopped taking whistles for review because it became clearer and clearer to me that there are a lot of people who are in a much position to evaluate whistles than I am. I tried to never be dishonest about my modest credentials. C&F started when I was a complete beginner. I'm still a beginner.

And then the other thing that happened is that the success of these forums sort of eliminated some of the actual usefulness of the newsletter. That's not a complaint. I'm delighted that people have enjoyed the board. But, it's just true that a newsletter I would write isn't the place to go anymore (if it ever was) for tinwhistle information.

Finally, some of the creative energy that used to go into the newsletter goes elsewhere now.

I will always be so grateful for the role I played in all of this. It's still my favorite place to hang out on the web and I have so many people I know through C&F that are dear friends, a few I've actually met in the flesh and blood. I remain Undisputed only because no one has come forward to claim the title. I keep thinking that someone will be rightfully declared the New Undisputed. I also keep thinking that someone will come up with a new and better site that will cause this one to fade into the sunset, but it doesn't seem to have happened yet.
missy

Post by missy »

THE CRYSTAL PEOPLE HAVE FINALLY GOT TO DALE!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

well, Dale honey, we's just teasin' about the newsletter. :wink:

As long as you keep writing and providing links,
we'll read whatever!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Denny wrote:well, Dale honey, we's just teasin' about the newsletter. :wink:

As long as you keep writing and providing links,
we'll read whatever!
No, no. Not at all bothered by the newsletter quips. Just decided to be a bit transparent, there.
ketida

Post by ketida »

missy wrote:

The newsletter was actually how I first found THIS place!
Me, too. And for a long time, the newsletter was entertaining enough that I wasn't even tempted to read the forum, even though I had joined. It wasn't until the newsletters started slowing down (and coincidentally my interest in whistles heated up) that I even started logging onto the forums regularly. Now it's a daily (if not oftener) ritual.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dale wrote:[C&F's] still my favorite place to hang out on the web...
Hey, you, too?
Dale wrote:I remain Undisputed only because no one has come forward to claim the title. I keep thinking that someone will be rightfully declared the New Undisputed.
How could it come to pass? The institution is fast; besides, another Undisputed would implode from all the irony.
Dale wrote:I also keep thinking that someone will come up with a new and better site that will cause this one to fade into the sunset, but it doesn't seem to have happened yet.
How could that, too, come to pass? 'Nuff said, methinks.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician