traveled with flute lately?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

traveled with flute lately?

Post by eilam »

has anyone here been harassed for taking a keyless flute (with slide)
on the plane lately?
not an international flight.
thanks, e.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I had a little bit of trouble with a whistle, so after the first bit of trouble I would take it out of my purse and put it in my shoe.

I put my flute in a cardboard tube in a sturdy suitcase and checked it on.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I've only ever had someone take my flute out of my carry-on twice. Once was a flight from Belgium to the US in maybe 2003, and they took out everything in the carry on. The second was last year. I told the TSA guy that I was really glad to see that he'd done it, as a wooden flute looks not unlike a stick of dynamite in an x-ray scanner. I think he was glad to come across someone who was pleasant and cooperative, he had a good chuckle and sent me on my way.

I've flown at least two dozen times since 2001, and these are the only two times anyone's looked at my flute, so I wouldn't sweat it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

You shouldn't have a problem. I put my flute in my carry-on and have never been questioned about it. In the past year I've taken my flute to Tokyo, Germany, Ireland, and several domestic (USA) locations.

I have this fantasy that someday a TSA guy will harass me about my flute and insist that I play it, to prove it's a real instrument. Then I crank out this blazing set of reels. Ideally this would happen when I'm on my way to Ireland.

:)
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I took a Hammy practice flute to Haiti recently.

They were very suspicious. Made me play a jig at the metal detector.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Unlikely you'll have trouble inside the usa
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I had an issue with a security person at a Theme Park!
My company outing last summer was at a Six Flags, and they have a pavillion/picnic area for large groups. I had a backpack filled with blankets, snacks, drinks, and, of course, my fife, which is in a small case which resembles a handgun soft case.

If you're carrying any bag, purse, etc. you go in a special line to the screener. I opened my bag for the screener, and the girl was rifling through my bag, and found my fife, and said with alarm, "What's That?!". I replied, "It's a fife." (what else was I gonna say, "An IED"?) "Open it," she demands. So I do. She still looked scared and confused, not letting me touch it now, so I proceeded to educate her as to what fife is, i.e. a "musical instrument", "it's like a flute", "high and squealy". "Want me to take it out and play it?". More alarm ... Called the supervisor over. At this point, a backlog in the screening line has developed, and the curious onlookers are getting worried. Finally, I tell the supervisor what it is, and he waves me through.

I'm tired of this nation of paranoiacs, where I feel like a criminal in every line I'm in - even though I'm not doing anything wrong.

Never had a prob at the airport though, and that surprises me.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

fyffer wrote:
I'm hoping that's because the TSA is more highly trained than the security at Six Flags!

You are very right about feeling like a criminal, though. I think the USA is the worst for that (and Philidelphia airport the worst I've experienced). Security in many of the foreign countries I've traveled to has been much more pleasant. Very professional and thorough, but not rude.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Il Friscaletto wrote:
fyffer wrote:
I'm hoping that's because the TSA is more highly trained than the security at Six Flags!

You are very right about feeling like a criminal, though. I think the USA is the worst for that (and Philidelphia airport the worst I've experienced). Security in many of the foreign countries I've traveled to has been much more pleasant. Very professional and thorough, but not rude.
Ditto the Philly Airport comment. That was the last TSA screening I've been through, and was one of the deciding factors for making me choose to drive to Florida last month (1500 miles) instead of flying. Rudest security ever. And to top it off, due to construction, we had to re-screen in Philly, which you normally wouldn't have to do when catching a connecting flight.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
malanstevenson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Hi Eilam,

Not to worry - I've traveled with flutes, whistles and pipes (last time in Oct.), many times, and they've only looked in the pipe case once.

So, be sure and bring ALL your lovely flutes so we can try them out while you're here.

See you soon,
Mark
"History...is a record of unjustified suffering, irreparable loss, tragedy without catharsis."
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Elliam, if you have to go through Las Vegas they made us go out and back through security again to get from one terminal to the other. We almost missed our connecting flight. That's when I decided to take my musical instruments out and put them in my shoe. I didn't want to be late.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

flying from boston to chicago last year with multiple flutes and whistles (all in one bag) they didn't go through it, but went straight for my extra headjoint and swabbed it and then put the swab thing in some sort of machine to test it before they let me go... I found it rather odd, but whatever. the nonsensical qualities of airlines and airport security never cease to amaze me.

good luck
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: ya'd think a Boehm headjoint would make a better pipe :lol:
withak

Post by withak »

I've carried on a plastic M&E (with a tuning slide) and security (Oakland and Midway) didn't blink an eye.
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

I was flying out last year and when they saw the flute they had me play it to prove it wasn't dangerous.
After I played it they thought it really was dangerous and they wouldn't let me on the plane.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.