What would you do?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
irishpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

What would you do?

Post by irishpiper »

This scenario is strictly made up of course but I wanted to hear your opinions on this:

You HAD to sell (Because of Marriage, Illness, take your pick) an excellent set of pipes, all tuned up and ready to play (“D” set or Flat set…take your pick) from a very good but deceased maker (Take your pick). When you are in the process of selling the set, an experienced player wants to buy them but he cannot give you your asking cost and offers you 500 dollars (Or comparable currency) less than the asking price. At the same time a very rich collector is willing to give you not only your asking price; but 1000 dollars (Or comparable currency) MORE for your set, and tells you that your pipes would make a wonderful conversation piece, and will be mounted over the fire place in his home. My question to all of you is what would you do? Would you:

A) Sell them to the experienced player for 500 less but have a piece of mind knowing that the instrument will be played every day like it was intended.

OR

B) Sell the pipes to the rich collector making 1000 on the deal but know that the
the pipes will never be played.
josh perkins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by josh perkins »

I'm a little fuzzy on the distinction between marriage and illness.
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

josh perkins wrote:I'm a little fuzzy on the distinction between marriage and illness.
*Clarification* Your getting married, or suffering from an illness...anything that would cause you to sell the pipes

Sorry for the confusion
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

irishpiper wrote:
josh perkins wrote:I'm a little fuzzy on the distinction between marriage and illness.
*Clarification* Your getting married, or suffering from an illness...

Nope. I still don't get the distinction either. :twisted:

If the cause for sale is not financial then I would have no hesitation taking the $500 loss so that the instrument would get played often and well.

But if the sale was to avoid financial hardship where the extra $1000 would benefit more than just your bank balance... there is the rub.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

A no-brainer... I'd take the $500 loss.

Nothing infuriates me more than seeing an instrument go unused. :x

Or behind glass. :x :x :x

Imagine if all the Taylor sets were in museums.
or if every Guaneri or Strad violin were locked up in a climate-controlled glass safe. never to speak again.
Even in the hands of a rich fool, the instrument would be happier than in a protected, secure, isolated preservation...eewww..I'm shuddering at the thought. its inhumane. :devil:
L42B

Post by L42B »

Hi irishpiper

Well in the event that this a complete 'hypothetical' I would take option A. I feel that any instrument is made to be played. Even if you were to make $500.00 less on the sale. What's the point in making $500.00 more if the set will be locked away and deterorate because it wouldn't be maintained. Also option A would be considered even more so if I knew the instrument would be recorded on an album or performed by a talented musician. (Well known or not so well known.)

I know of one well-known Australia piper who owns a Wooff full set in Bb (with all the trimmings). However he said to me that if he where to sell it, he'd be carefull who he sold it too. It wouldn't be sold to just anybody. Something like that needs to be played and well maintaned he told me.

Cheers L42B :)
"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America." President Barack H. Obama, from his Inaugural Speech as the 44th President of the United States of America.
Tou-Che

pipes

Post by Tou-Che »

How do you think the pipemaker intended them to be used when he was making them?
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

There's a beautiful song that's in sympathy with this thread:

"What would you do.....if you were asked to give up your dreams for freedom?"

Rob
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!
I don't get some of the assumptions of the scenario.

First, if this was an "excellent set of pipes, all tuned up and ready to play, from a very good maker", I'm sure there would be more than one "experienced player" who would like to buy them.
Then just let the market set the price.

Second, if an experienced and talanted player wants to buy this uniqe set he would also see it's value. If he really wants them but doesn't have the money to pay for it, a loan for 500$ shouldn't scare him, if this was a real deal.

Third, if the only two interested are the collector and one piper, I would doubt the the pipes are as excellent as the seller belives.

Fourth, if the price the collector wants to pay is more than any piper think the set is worth it is another thing. Then it's just up to you to decide how much you need the extra cash.

Another option would be to offer to sell them back to the maker, or any good maker that is continuing the tradition if the orginal maker is dead. He (or she) should see the true value of the set and make sure it will be in good shape for future pipers.

Did I win anything? :D

/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

MarcusR wrote:Did I win anything?
a wet blanket
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Let me just point out that the difference in money received in the example of the original poster is $1,500.

My blanket should be pretty darn moist.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Tell the experienced player to go ooot and play a few more gigs to get the dosh and stop taking me for an eejit. :love:
Slán Agat
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

GUILLAMO! Bienvenuto amico!

here 's yet another idea for the dilemma:

Run up your mastercard on a south asian set, doll it up to look JUST like the good set.

Sell the 'collector' the south asisn set (he not gonna play it anyway, probly wont even know the difference between the two)

and then sell the good set to the musician at his price.
:o :o :o
Win-win situation! :party:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

If it is a good set, by a maker who is no longer among the corporeal (or living), then I feel that it ought not be sold to sit on a mantel place or hang on the wall.

I am going through a really tough stretch of fate these days, and as much as I need the $$$, I wouldn't dream of selling any of my pipes/chanters if I weren't 100% certain that they would be played and well cared for.

The collector can wait, the player can save up the $$$. In the meantime, there is most likely a player out there who can afford the set and will play and properly care for it.

Next question please...
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

burn the set in some sort of pagan ritual, & tell everyone on the forum(take video) & pi$$ everyone off in the process...