A Whistle Challenge for Peter Laban

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Wanderer wrote:...
I was surprised I didn't like the burke more, but after hearing what all was done to it that would change it's character, I'm less surprised. ...

I think it's safe to say that even obfuscating the sound as MT did, you can tell at least something from a whistle recording.

Thanks for the exercise, MT :)
Ditto, ditto, and ditto! :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Wow I would never have imagined that the Susato and the Burke would have that old-time sound (the sound of a top-notch Generation). So both had O-rings on them? I guess I'll have to try that!
But I'm not all that surprised that my least favourite was an Overton.
It would have been nice to hear the Susato and Burke unmodified as well, and to have a top-notch Generation thrown in. I suspect that a good Generation could hold its own against any and all "designer" whistles in a listening test.
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

My word...6 pages of posts; really hard to get a handle. Well, there are two things I'm sure of after reading most of the posts:

1 - I'm in the same pidgin hole as Denny.

2- I'm in complete agreement with Eskin regarding good Irish whiskey.

Best to all,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Am I the only one who thinks this thread makes Peter Laban's point for him?

Rob
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Rob Sharer wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this thread makes Peter Laban's point for him?

Rob
Rob - I only know that I think one is more likely to pick out different players than whistles, and whether or not something is Peter's point is perhaps not the point; somehow this thread got personal, rather than point driven. Although I can't speak for Eskin, I think both of our recent related threads were in pure fun (And yes, I do vote for MTGURU for best sustained humor throughout a thread).

That said, many different types comprise this Board (I want points for proper use of comprise) - beginners, lurkers, community leaders, experienced ITM players, good and bad and all levels of amateur players, other musicians, makers, etc. I've been here just about from the beginning and generally enjoy all points of view and attempts at humor and analysis.

I agree with Peter that of utmost importance substantively, and the raison d'etre for the Board originally, is the music and the playing of the music. Dale is the last word on this, but my guess is this place was designed to give voice and comfort to a small but growing group who enjoy and play what was once here (USA) a really esoteric pursuit - playing ITM on penny whistle. That has grown into a more wide reaching community.

I enjoy Peter's and others' posts regarding the music and providing samples of fine playing and links to fine and often not easy to find playing. At the same time, I appreciate new players, collectors of instruments, and various expressions of point of view.

Peter is just as entitled to his points of view, steeped in experience in the very thing that first gave rise to this Board, as anyone else, as are all of us within the boundaries of some civility.

Peter is a valued and valuable resource who away from the Board has provided me thoughtful and unsolicited help in areas related to whistles, ITM, and Ireland itself. He appears at times irascible, as most of us do.

My point (which I am belaboring in my ususal thread-killing role) is let's keep this analytical, humorous (even barbed), inclusive and accommodating without getting pointedly personal (wipes away alliterative Daffy Duck dribble).

Now, what was my point....? Oh yeah, everybody stop coming off snide!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hi PhilO,

Yes, my posts were just in fun. This board gets way too full of itself sometimes...

M
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

I nominate this for Unintentionally Not-Funny Thread of the Year 2008.

Rob
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hmmm..... points, POINTS, what good are points in a game that will never end? :)
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

Do ya think anyone will remember or care about this weighty point in a month; or being generous, two months?
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

CranberryDog wrote:Do ya think anyone will remember or care about this weighty point in a month; or being generous, two months?
Remember what?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Alright Aanvil - I'm going to forward two recordings of the same tune - each played by one of my cats...see if you can tell whether it's the white one or the black one playing...

Philo
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

Rob Sharer wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this thread makes Peter Laban's point for him?

Rob
That's two of us then.
Plastiman

Cheapo whistles

Post by Plastiman »

As a rank beginner in a town where I know of no other whistle players, I found this debate entertaining if somewhat incomprehensible. Surely the whistle one plays is the whistle one chooses and therefore as a personal decision it's no one's business but one's own. (Sorry, didn't mean to sound pompous). I have two Generations, one of which I cut up to experiment with because I couldn't make it sound very nice, while the other is a nice sounding little beast, perhaps a tad breathy for my ear on the upper octave. I also have a Feadog which is as rough as guts.
I'm making my own whistles in aluminium now anyway, some of which I've actually sold after people hear me playing them, so tend to use the Gen for comparison when voicing mine. (I'm primarily the guitarist/vocalist, but have to say that the guitar has taken a bit of a back seat since messing with whistles). I did manage to pick the Generation, but have never heard any of the others played. I did like the Burke, the Overton and the Matsusaka, nice octave balance and tonal complexity, especially the Overton.
It's all personal choice anyway, play you like and like what you play. The same arguments happen with guitars too, so in that respect whistlers are not unique,
Cheers,
Ian
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

PhilO wrote:Alright Aanvil - I'm going to forward two recordings of the same tune - each played by one of my cats...see if you can tell whether it's the white one or the black one playing...

Philo

Cat That Ate The Candle, Cat In The Fiddle Case or Cat's Meow... please.

My cats like those... currently.

No telling what the will like tomorrow... they being cats and all... you understand.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

[/quote]Cat That Ate The Candle, Cat In The Fiddle Case or Cat's Meow... please.

My cats like those... currently.

No telling what the will like tomorrow... they being cats and all... you understand.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Philo