Different Key??????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tony Fletcher UK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tony Fletcher UK »

Hi,
I am thinking of trying a whistle in a different key..
The reason for this is my D whistles seem so loud especially in the second octave.
My theory is:- try a different key, and the level of sound should not be as loud and piercing..???? Especially in the 2nd octave.
But which key?????
The whistles I have at the moment are Dixons one piece and a Feadog both in D. I am playing the Feadog more but i am not sure why!!!!
I have tried various muting ideas with not much success.
I end up sat on the stairs when I want to practice out of the way of family members.
This is going to start being a pain...
Hope you understand where i am coming from..?
I also thought about getting a Clarkes Original, i have heard they are reasonably quiet due to the wooden mouth piece.. Is this right...???
Thankyou for any comments and recomendations....
Tony Fletcher Sheffield England...
french

Post by french »

i tend to reduce keys as the evening progresses, using my in-born wife and neighbour antennae.

in bed, the biggest whistles are best (see whistles as weapons thread).

- tom
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

1) Try a low-low fippled thing :smile: Afraid it will have to be a--hush!--<FONT SIZE=1>recorder</FONT> in bass F or contrabass C but you can plug the extra holes and get away.

2) Now if your low D sounds shrill in 2nd octave, is it with tunes in D or in G ? If the latter, why not simpply try an alto G ?
jeffmiester

Post by jeffmiester »

On 2002-11-22 17:59, french wrote:
in bed, the biggest whistles are best (see whistles as weapons thread).
:lol: tom :lol:

Tony, the clarke is quieter, more breathy. I have whistles in 2 keys, C and D. The C is a little quieter, and more cheapie whistle brands have C's. Also I saw on the whistle shop's page that they have a "tweaked" clarke orig. and have a suggestion for making a mute for it. But my clarke d is as quiet as I think I'll ever need.
---The opinions and views expressed in this post are not necessarily the author's opinions. If you agree with them, they are mine. If you disagree, they are someone else's.---
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

paper clips make good mutes. It may
take more than one.
A low G whistle is worth having, too.
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Tony,
The Clarkes original d is about the quietest cheap whistle you'll get. It was what I recommended in one of your earlier posts as you seemed to want a quiet whistle. You'll find that for some tunes you'll prefer the breathy sound of the Clarke while for others you'll want a clearer sound so it won't be a waste to have another d whistle. By the way, did you get a tutor book and CD?

Cheers, Mac
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

There are whistles intentionally being made to be quieter. Having someone in the house who is never without a fipple thing or flute in his hands, I helped myself in getting a Laughing whistles for him a couple of years ago. This is a very quiet whistle and excellent for late evening playings, nice tone as well and collabsable which is a very neat thing. You need to adjust to the breath requirements as it does nearly need no air at all. Also a quiet whistle for playing late at night can be a Reyburn High D. I have heard good things about Mack Hoovers quiet models but never heard one live so cannot comment from own experiences but there are threads about his whistles you can search for. I like also Dave Parkhurst whistles and know he makes a quiet model which ChattyKatty has written a thread to just a few messages down the page.

If it is only for practising and you do not mind maybe loosing some tonal quality then what may help to cut down loudness of a whistle it to take one of this cigarette filters you can buy for rolling your own cigarettes and stick it all way down straight into one side of the vent hole. If the cigarette filter is too big for your whistle then cut it to size that it covers about half of the vent hole and blade. This should cut down loudness but certainly will change the tonal quality but for late night practicing this should not be a big problem. I do not know about the Feadog (not so big a vent hole) but the Dixon high Ds vent hole is big enough to be stuffed half in size by this filter. When you do not use it just take it out again and it is back to normal.

Just an idea from a "family" member who did at times suffer from loud evening playing :wink:
Brigitte

edited for wrong word I used

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Goldie on 2002-11-23 07:15 ]</font>
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Bless you Brigitte,your "filter" mute has given me a good idea which utilizes a pack of silicon ear plugs I use for swimming.Take a small ball of the stuff and roll into a snake about an inch long and an 1/8" thick and insert it in one side of the window and press it down behind the blade somewhere(the ridge or bump on a generation is ideal)and enjoy the sound of your whistle at a fraction of its normal volume.The silicon snake is re-usable,wont break apart,installs and removes in an instant and leaves no residue(unless you had it in your ear first).The muting is further enhanced when the ears of your spouse are also muted with this stuff!This is no joke..try it,it realy works great.:smile: Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mike.r on 2002-11-23 10:56 ]</font>
Michael Sullivan

Post by Michael Sullivan »

The Clarkes certainly don't have that peircing sound but can still be too high for a sensitive ear. And a C might not be enough of a step down either for tunes with high notes. Maybe try a Bb--it should never sound shrill.
NicksterNM

Post by NicksterNM »

I have found that with more practice on breath control the upper octave could be acheived at a lower volume than when I first started. In fact while the tone changes, and the whistle can be more clearly heard the decible level need not change.It is a good thing to practice.

The conventional wisdom is that you blow harder to reach the upper octave. Harder = A) more air and B) the air moves faster

I have an alternative way to think of it, one blows FASTER to reach the upper octave, but you do not have to blow harder. Think about blowing the same amount of air through slightly more closed/pursed lips. The air will come out faster, like when you put your finger over the end of a hose, you get the same amout of water but it shoots farther (REACHES another octave)

Well this is a bit like giving advice on a golf swing, there are many diferent ways of conceptualizing a single concept, and it is a matter of feel and what clicks with an individual.

If this does not work for you the Clarke will hush your tones quite nicely.

Nick
Tony Fletcher UK

Post by Tony Fletcher UK »

Thankyou all very much..
Some great ideas there, i will give them a bash.
We have ear plugs at work, i think i'll nick afew and experiment.
No luck finding an Original Clarkes today, Sheffield has now only afew music shops.
None in the city centre but there are afew in meadowhall centre... Its getting so busy now with getting closer to Christmas.
Did Shanna Quay in Ireland do a Tweaked Clarke Orig?? I know they do the Tweaked Feadog??? Maybe was another online store?? Probably the whistle shop??
I was trying to figure out how much whistles was from Shanna Quay, but Britsh pound to Euro alittle confusing!!!
Anyway thanks again, you are all very friendy and I value your advice and comments.
Tony Fletcher, Sheffield Eng.