I Love My Bic

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mukade
antispam: No

I Love My Bic

Post by mukade »

This is probably the greatest product review you will ever read.

Read Mr. M. Williams' review of a Bic writing implement.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bic-Crystal-bal ... B000JTOYLS

He has some other fine reviews on his profile.

Mukade
emmline

Post by emmline »

There were some other choice reviews on that page as well.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have had one of these in the past. I went through a phase of trying out as many pens that I could get my hands on. they were relatively cheap, and even professional writers used them even though there are more expensive pens like Montblanc and Waterman. The problem is finding a good Bic. I would buy a ten pack, and eight would write well, one would be flawless, and one would be frozen up, when you tried to write with it would just scratch the paper (a feeling that to me is equivalent to fingers on a chalk board).

Then I found Pilot's Better fine tipped pens. They had all of the qualities that you want out of a good Bic (IE, transparent body to view the ink level, solid plastic body, smooth writing) without having to search for the "Good" bic. The fine point has the added benefit of working with less pressure when filling out carbon paper forms.

I'm not saying that if you buy one that you will become a better writer and have better handwriting, only practice can give you that, but it can be frustrating to be in the middle of a poem or a sentence and have the pen not perform. The split second it takes to shake it out breaks your concentration any you lose the next phrase.

Now I am pretty much monogamous with the Pilot pen. My Pen Acquisition Disorder (PAD) completely cured. The only other pen that I keep around is the US Government Skilcraft pens that used for four years because they were issued to me, and I use those just for sentimental reasons.

Those reviews were very funny.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

emmline wrote:There were some other choice reviews on that page as well.
....and I was thinkin' we had too much time on our hands :lol:

liked the last one!
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-rev ... iew">Henry Raddick's</a> reviews are my favorite on amazon. I wish he was still doing them.

Regarding the book: You Can Teach Your Dog to Eliminate on Command

'Smith and Stybbard have written a gem in this book. It's certainly helped me to take control of my dog's idiosyncratic toilet habits. My pug Grendel now dances to my tune, be it on walks, in the garden or merely impressing friends and family. A word of caution - take care when choosing your "command words" and "smart phrases" to avoid words your dog is likely to hear on the television. It took 4 episodes of Ali McBeal before I realised that my "full evacuation" command was in the theme song.'

Back on track, for everyday use I like the Pilot G2 with Gel Ink pens.

http://www.amazon.com/Roller-Ball-Pack- ... 416&sr=8-1
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful:
I hate Pens "I hate Pens" (NJ USA) - See all my reviews wrote: This BIC Crystal ballpoint pen worked for a couple of days for me. I was able to boot it up by removing the cap and write some letters. The lack of features aggravated me a bit. As other users pointed out there is no spell check, or drivers bundled with the package. But I was able to make due. It wrote in very wonderful blue ink. I did notice that the more I used the pen the slower it got. I kept rebooting it by placing the cap and taking it off. This did little to help me. I am assuming the registry is getting too big, but due to the lack of instructions I cannot access the registry. I wrote "regedit" thousands of times on a paper, but the Registry Editor never started. I left the pen laying on the table for hours, but the screen saver NEVER once came on. (I like the scrolling markee but alas it never started.) i tried to interface it with an old dictionary, but I could not find even one USB or serial port. Then after only three days of use, the ink came out of the pen and spilled all over the paper. Tech support could not help me with the Blue Screen of Death. I am fed up with this pen and will never use it again.

I HATE IT.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

...As other users pointed out there is no spell check...But I was able to make due.
I suppose so. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Who would order a Bic pen online? Just go to the store and get them by the dozen :boggle: :boggle:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Nanohedron wrote:
...As other users pointed out there is no spell check...But I was able to make due.
I suppose so. :wink:
That is why we all could benefit from the services of an editor. Other people's mistakes stand out like a sore thumb. I can look over my mistakes several times and not see them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya....some of us make 'em on porpoise! :P
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

This one is inspired:
By P. Smith

The problem with multi function devices is that the sum of the parts is equal to that of the whole. Any other ratio would be ludicrous. This means that trying to use your BIC Crystal for 5 things is only 20% as effective as having 5 items that do one thing each.

For instance, when deploying my BIC Crystal as a spoon, it manages to stir my cup of tea, but is absolutley rubbish at fishing out the digestive biscuit from the bottom of the cup.

Similarly the blade function is more effective on soft cheeses than hard.

The fork works more like a chopstick.

Don't even try the bottle opener.

As for the pen, I can't comment because I use a freebie I picked up at Barclays.

Edited to say that I'm surprised he didn't mention the ear spoon.
Last edited by Lambchop on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

LOL ... this is very funny stuff.

In a more serious vein, you might enjoy "The Pencil" by Henry Petroski. More than you ever wanted to know about the history and technology of this other amazing tool by an insightful scholar of engineering and industrial design.

I also found his "The Evolution of of Useful Things" great fun. And one day I'll get around to reading his new follow-up smash hit, "The Toothpick". Seriously.

Books by Petroski on Amazon are here.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

MTGuru wrote:...Henry Petroski. ..."
I thought I recognized that name- my kids gave me "To Engineer Is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design" for a Christmas present last year. Actually good reading. Insightful for engineers, especially these days when mistakes are not tolerated.