Sound samples over the phone ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Sound samples over the phone ?

Post by rorybbellows »

Would you think, if you had a good connection ,that you would get a realistic tone quality to send a sound sample of pipes down the phone.
Its common to see requests for sound samples by someone buying second hand pipes ,could this be the answer ?

RORY
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

:lol:
PJ
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

it makes you sound like Ennis - honestly!
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Telephone systems are designed for 300-3k hz response, so the sound would be so limited that you can't really have much quality to the sound.

IMHO, it sounds like a no-go to me.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've heard of people learning tunes over the phone.
PJ
simonknight
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Sound samples over the phone ?

Post by simonknight »

rorybbellows wrote:Would you think, if you had a good connection ,that you would get a realistic tone quality to send a sound sample of pipes down the phone.
Its common to see requests for sound samples by someone buying second hand pipes ,could this be the answer ?

RORY
You could try that internet thing everybody's talking about.
Simon
PJ

Re: Sound samples over the phone ?

Post by PJ »

simonknight wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:Would you think, if you had a good connection ,that you would get a realistic tone quality to send a sound sample of pipes down the phone.

RORY
You could try that internet thing everybody's talking about.
I hear they have the Internet on computers now.

PJ
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

I'm using the steam powered version.
Simon
Tim H

Post by Tim H »

When I bought my Colin Goldie low d whistle a few months ago he had a batch of 5 available and he played all 5 down the phone for both me and my wife to listen to. Although I couldn't get a perfect rendition I came to a decision based on what I heard (both Becca and I liked the same one) and when the whistle arrived it was as I had remembered it over the phone. It is a great whistle and I am glad to have had the oppertunity to hear it before I bought it.
Tim
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

Seth Gallagher played his B and C pipes down the phone to me--I wouldn't say it gave a real rendition of tone or many important elements of playability, but it gave a rough idea of tuning and showed that at least the maker was able to get the pipes fired up and playing very nice tunes without any noticeable setup/maintenance prep time. It was helpful as a first step but wouldn't be a good sole basis for a purchase decision. I'm sure it's just as helpful or unhelpful as net-based sound samples.

J
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

simonknight wrote:I'm using the steam powered version.
I expect its your brain your refering too.

Not everyone has access to digital recording equipment to send samples over the internet ,and my thoughts were, that the phone ,although far from ideal is better than nothing.

RORY
PJ

Post by PJ »

rorybbellows wrote:Not everyone has access to digital recording equipment to send samples over the internet ,and my thoughts were, that the phone ,although far from ideal is better than nothing.
If your computer doesn't have a built-in mic, you can buy one for very cheap (mine cost $25). As for recording software, Audacity is free, easy to use and of sufficient quality for messing around on the internet.

Of course, if you're prepared to spend money, you could set up a small but respectable home studio for less than $500 (provided you already have a computer).
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

PJ wrote:Of course, if you're prepared to spend money, you could set up a small but respectable home studio for less than $500 (provided you already have a computer).
Seems like alot of money to spend just to sell a chanter

RORY
PJ

Post by PJ »

rorybbellows wrote:Seems like alot of money to spend just to sell a chanter
Then there's the $25 mic/Audacity option. Anyway, you can do more than just sell a chanter. You can record and upload clips so we can all hear how good a piper you are!!! :wink:
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Well thanks for answering a question nobody asked.

RORY