Absolute Measure of Player Quality

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Absolute Measure of Player Quality

Post by PhilO »

Hats off to Eskin in his new-found, all consuming pursuit; but we all know that what is far more important is the player (see 99.9% of Peter's posts regarding Generation whistles). We need to first select a committee of esteemed judges (Laban, Bloomfield, Eskin, sorry too busy, etc.), as this process must encompass notable "feel" for the music and confirmation of who is actually playing, and must therefore be live. To lend further credence to the project we must pick a date and time when ALL (3500+?)of us are available, as well as a suitable venue (proper echo effects, etc.).

Each player must select his "best" or favorite tunes and include samples from each of several genres, including air, jig, reel, hornpipe, slide, polka, fling, march. No sheet music allowed.

I will be working at a dizzying pace on the criteria as well as the acceptable values along those criteria. For example, criteria will include demeanor, apparel, stance, adaptability to surroundings, sense of humor. and ease of effort. Extra credit will be awarded for audibility, flow, phrasing, stamina, appropriate use of ornamentation, and speed.

Values or assessments will be confined to a given chart of same. These may include, for example:

- Wow, that was impressive, but s/he needs to have a better time doing it..
- Blinding speed, but...
- We didn't understand a word, but good to dance to..
- Coming along..
- Nice individual style, although certainly not ITM..
- Has s/he begun yet..
- Has s/he finished yet..
- Interesting, but..
- Promotion to judges panel..
- You've been playing how many years..
- You've been playing how many days..

Please let me know what your thoughts are and when you'd be available for the grand event. Thanking you in advance.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Your rating of my playing would be:

.um....ah....interesting interpretation!

:lol:
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

You forgot the rating I'm currently at:

"I didn't even know a whistle could make THAT sound?"
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Surely using human judges is too subjective. Why not code a computer program which can objectively compare each player's performance with an ideal recording of the same tune?
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Thank you ElPollo; I'm just including deductions for unwanted (can there be wanted) squawks and squeaks, shrillness of tone, utter lifelessness of playing, lack of lilt, swing, pizzazz or any other acceptable form of verve, elan or esprit de corps...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Irish Idol ... now who will play Simon?
Denny

Post by Denny »

do ya get extra points for an amusing story? :-?
wvwhistler

Post by wvwhistler »

CranberryDog wrote:Irish Idol ... now who will play Simon?
I don't know, but if they don't make the cut :swear:
can we keep their whistle? :twisted:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
"All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehearsed." - Sean O'Casey
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

I think Louis Armstrong had the right idea. He said something along these lines: "If it makes you tap your feet, it's good music. If it don't, it ain't."
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Denny wrote:do ya get extra points for an amusing story? :-?
If Cathal McConnell can, why not us?

Oh, and I hereby officially nominate Colomon for election to the Board of Judges.

Philo
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I've been known to elicit the comment, "Well he does play mostly in tune," and "He keeps good time."
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

colomon wrote:Surely using human judges is too subjective. Why not code a computer program which can objectively compare each player's performance with an ideal recording of the same tune?
Most judging criteria are not objectively or credibly implemented. Therefore I second the motion to get the American Idol panel to do the job. At least C&F will get gobs of prime time coverage and the winner will get a recording contract and radioplay.
BoneQuint

Re: Absolute Measure of Player Quality

Post by BoneQuint »

And of course, anyone actually agreeing to submit to the judging gets a healthy deduction, since a true player is above competition and rankings. But one would get a large bonus score if one were dead.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Scrutiny?

We doe nee no steenkeeng scrutiny!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I'd like to propose a special judging category for dead musicians.

It's apparent in some ITM circles that the best, most esteemed and respected, and only truly traditional musicians are the dead ones. Having a pulse is considered not only highly suspect, but downright rude. Without a stack of 78s or wax cylinders to your name, you might as well go ahead and take up playing aleatoric Afro-Celto-Latino fusion hip-hop, for all the chance you have of ever sounding traditional.

Note that this category is not the same as the sentiment in other circles that the only good musician is a dead musician. That is something entirely different, and may involve firearms.

In order to allow for this category, some of the proposed criteria may have to be relaxed. Things like demeanor, adaptability, and sense of humor should be optional. As for stance, horizontal is perfectly acceptable. And for apparel, O'Connell's South Side Mortuary and Irish Gift Shoppe will gladly donate time, services, and spiffy reusable duds.

Of course, dead musicians are less likely to play at breakneck speeds, and are more apt to favor the leisurely pace and phrasing of, say, East Clare style. So this is unlikely to be an issue.

Dead contestants are certainly also eligible for promotion to the judges panel, with the caveat that they may be indistinguishable from other selected Chiff & Fipple participants.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.