It's been a week since "I Resolve To..."

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caroluna
antispam: No

It's been a week since "I Resolve To..."

Post by Caroluna »

Last week we had a thread called "I Resolve To....."
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=56211
Wow, good idea for a thread! Now, will we keep coming back to this thread to give updates on our progress?
I will, and I hope others will too....I started on the 29th so it's been a week for me already.

1.Start a discussion / support group for homeschooling moms
I got the phpBB group set up-- Thank you Dale for the recommendation! ...and thanks to others for panicky late-night technical assistance :boggle: you know who you are, Denny :wink: This week, a few of us will be learning our way around before we open it up to homeschoolers in our group. Kevin and I spent an hour last night with him posting new topics and me deleting them. That was entirely too much fun :D

2.Create / teach another class. No work yet.
3.Be able to play flute in our church's Christmas orchestra next year ...Keyed Copley will arrive in a few months No work yet.

4.Keep a diet / exercise / health journal-- write down what I eat. Wear a pedometer, count steps. 8 days out of 8 so far. Woo-hoo!

5.Get back to some of the books that formed me spiritually, and read a bit every day, even if it's just a paragraph.
Only 3 days out of 8. I keep intending to do this before bed, but wind up online instead. :o

6. Take up bellydancing!
One DVD arrived and I've tried it out twice. For some reason it's much easier to do hip circles counterclockwise rather than clockwise, what's up with that? :P Also.....I ordered some zills 8)
Denny

Re: It's been a week since "I Resolve To..."

Post by Denny »

Caroluna wrote:you know who you are, Denny
contrary to anyone's misconceptions, no I don't.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Caroluna wrote:6. Take up bellydancing!
For some reason it's much easier to do hip circles counterclockwise rather than clockwise, what's up with that?
:snerk: why it's ta give ya somethin' to work on, innit!
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I haven't gotten irritated with my mother-in-law yet! (Of course, I haven't seen or spoken with her since Christmas!) :lol:
Charlene
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: It's been a week since "I Resolve To..."

Post by izzarina »

Caroluna wrote:6. Take up bellydancing!
One DVD arrived and I've tried it out twice. For some reason it's much easier to do hip circles counterclockwise rather than clockwise, what's up with that? :P Also.....I ordered some zills 8)
Oooooo!!!! They look really, really cool!!! I want some!! How are the DVD's going anyway, other than the whole clockwise/counterclockwise thing? I'm green with envy, that's for sure. Especially since Mr Izz said he doesn't think it's something I need to do :P What does he know anyway? Puh!! I may just purchase the DVDs and then he won't have a choice. HA! ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

ah-ha. The cyberconscience calleth....

Does anyone really, truly want to know that I've been practicing regular oral hygene? :D :D :D
1: check.
2: well, gotta have a chance to start that up, now that '12th night' is over, HOPEFULLY mundane routine will triumph once again in the face of familial visitation, numerous invitations and 'special' things to do. 8) 8) 8)
3: Ok I admit failure for week 1. But I have 6 months to catch up. :oops:
4a. yeah, that's going pretty well just now... :party:
5. Her BD is the 16th. 'Every 2 weeks' begins at that time. (She wants a boom box.) :lol:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Oh, that's right...we're supposed to be telling how we're doing. Ummm...I don't remember what I resolved to do now :oops: If it was to be horribly snarky as often as possible, I have that one down pat already...YAY ME! :party:

And I still want some of those zills...add that to my resolutions.

:D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I changed all my resolutions since that other topic. All but one, I guess. I still want to make some kind of career change or at least head in that direction. Other than that, I want to reduce my consumption of material things and go backpacking more.

So far so good, but the year hasn't really gotten started yet. I haven't gone backpacking, for example.

Unless a couple of nights at the Millennium Broadway hotel in Times Square counts. (Probably not, and it probably doesn't count much for reducing consumption either. However, the wind chill was 0 degrees outside and that, to this California girl who thinks 55 degrees is cold, qualifies as a Significant Outdoor Experience.)
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

CHasR wrote:ah-ha. The cyberconscience calleth....

Does anyone really, truly want to know that I've been practicing regular oral hygene?
Yes, we want the tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth.
:D :D :D

Those teeth look pretty dazzling to me!! :thumbsup:
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Izzy you know that you now must get the zills and the dvd. Mr Izz threw down the gauntlet.

As to my progress...
1. Yep, got the oboe last Thursday. It's a cheap, poor ole beat-up thing, but it plays and I figure I can learn the mechanical adjustments, the basics and if it goes well then I'll move up in instrument. If it goes poorly I'm not out much.

2. Yep, I've started re-learning playing. Not too bad since the basic notes under the fingers are identical to whistle. It's just that there are a LOT of other keys cluttering up things. Another similarity is the importance of breath control. Big difference- back pressure multiplied by about 1,000. Whoa momma! ...... but it's do-able and I haven't passed out.

3- The orchestra hasn't started back up after the Christmas concert but I will be back on tympani. The oboe does not progress that fast.

4- Wrote my pipe band resignation 1/2/08 so it's a done deal. Now I've just got to take back their gear.

5- that's coming along- instead of spending this past week off working like a mad woman to get stuff done- I lazed around and basically did very little. It was tough-how sad is that? I'm too hyperactive, but I did it and I'm back to work tomorrow.

6-That's going to take more than a week.

7-I'm trying.

Someone else will have to be the judge of the last one.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline

Post by emmline »

Oh, I see. Well, luckily I have most of a year ahead of me.
I am now playing Rock Band at medium, for what it's worth. Even the "nightmare" songs. I consider it a good brain exercise.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

cowtime wrote: As to my progress...
1. Yep, got the oboe last Thursday.
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

I resolved to "Move and Be."

Here...let me check...

Yep. Still on a roll of absolute perfection.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Caroluna wrote:
cowtime wrote: As to my progress...
1. Yep, got the oboe last Thursday.
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
AH! ( I could tell you all about that thing, Played for 10 years in a n orchestra....)
Making reeds yet? Now's a good time to start! ... at the very least right now you ought to have a double -hollow ground knife, india combo stone , belly plaque, mandrel + chopping block. (tip: Flat plaques are lousy)
next thing you know you'll be waxing tie-on -thread, screwing cup-hooks into furniture, soaking blanks, comparing French & Philadelphia cuts...
then you'll buy a shaper tip + straight cane and well, it's ALL downhill from there... :wink:
PS: Ditch Rubank: get the Barrett + Brod book. Bon Chance.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Though I didn't post in the resolutions thread I did set some goals for the year.

Quit smoking *again*
Learn piano
Play more whistle
Do more exercise, maybe lose a stone
Play a gig with a new band or solo

So far I haven't smoked since Saturday. But then I don't really smoke unless I'm drinking so that's no big deal.

Going to phone the university gym tomorrow and arrange an induction session.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Congratulations, Cowtime! See you on YouTube! Stardom awaits!
But as for my resolutions:
1. Learn "Nessun Dorma" on the euphonium. Having a devil of a time finding the non-dummied down sheet music.
2. Climb Wind River Peak again.
3. Find resolution and peace with some spiritual struggles that have been, quite frankly, kicking my tail for the past year.
4. Start working on another CD.
5. Overall, try to be more like Sam Houston.
Progress:
1. Downloaded the music and an accompaniment track. Fun, fun, fun...
2. Lots and lots of cross-country skiing; getting the running shoes ready for the spring thaw...
3. Feels good to finally be kicking back!
4. This one is on the back burner until I get number 3 under control.
5. The only one I'm struggling on.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.