copies of pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Wannabe-Piper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

rorybbellows wrote:
Wannabe-Piper wrote:
tradbanjoman wrote:
ronan brown once said peter is the best maker that ever lived.
Really?When did he say this?
Just after he celebrated his free Hunter chanter by drinking twenty pints of guinness .

RORY

:D

No,seriosuly,does anyone know when he said this?
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

As far as I know Ronan Browne worked with peter for a while .I don't know if he was his apprentice or on what basis they worked together making pipes .Ronan made some pipes of his own at this stage .Maybe it was around this time that he made that remark.
Davy Stephenson or Jim Carroll should know more.

RORY
tradbanjoman

Post by tradbanjoman »

it was long after he spent time with peter.
it was a conversation between rownan and davy.
rownan owns loads of peters chanters and rates them as the best there is.
http://www.carrolluilleannpipes.
have gouge will play
Ian Lawther
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ian Lawther »

I don't know how much redesigning Peter has done but my pipes are a set by Pat McNulty and Peter Hunter when Peter was learning from Pat. My understanding is that Pat's chanters leaned heavily on Leo Rowsome's design. Logically that would make it Peter's starting point as well......but the set was made over 30 years ago so a lot of changes / refinement in design are likely to have taken place since then.

Ian
mukade

Post by mukade »

My first chanter was a Peter Hunter D in lignum.

It was the best chanter I ever owned.

Mukade
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

I don't know how much redesigning Peter has done but my pipes are a set by Pat McNulty and Peter Hunter when Peter was learning from Pat. My understanding is that Pat's chanters leaned heavily on Leo Rowsome's design. Logically that would make it Peter's starting point as well......but the set was made over 30 years ago so a lot of changes / refinement in design are likely to have taken place since then.
I would like to point out that this is a different Hunter, one who worked (I think) in Glasgow. It's not the first time this confusion has arisen, I remember it with a "Hunter" double chanter which was the work of the other Hunter and not of Peter who wasn't making pipes until 1982 anyway. Peter's pipes are based on a number of different classic makers, some designs tweaked so much that the original model can't be remembered.

The flip side of the Browne comment (which he has also made to me, I hope he doesn't mind me saying publicly) is that, when pressed, Peter named Ronan as his favourite living piper . . . . .

We aim to begin marking our pipes soon, we are currently engaged in training the woodpecker to do the date in binary.
Ian Lawther
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ian Lawther »

Thanks for the clarification Sam...I was unaware of another Hunter and had assumed........

Ian