This place needs a recipe forum!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

yes!
67%
yes !
33%

Total votes: 18

s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

there. I've said it and I'm not a bit sorry.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Here's the way to make taffy.

When you render sorghum, keep rendering some of it until it reaches the hardball stage.

Once it cools enough to handle it, butter your hands, and pull the candy till it lightens up.
Reasonable person
Walden
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Biscuits

In a large bowl, add flour, and “wallow out” a hole in the flour. Then in the hole you put salt (1 tsp) and baking powder (1 Tblspn).

Add shortning and work in until it looks like course crumbs. Then add milk 1 and ¼ cup whole milk. Then “smash and knead” and work into biscuit dough until it gets to the right consistency.

Heat an iron skillet with shortning or vegetable oil in the bottom. Separate dough into biscuits with a “patting” motion, dip buiscuit into hot skillet, and then turn over so the side you just got oily is up.

Cook at 375 till brown on top.

For cinnamon rolls, you roll out the dough on a floured waxed paper.

Add dollops of margarine, cover the margarine pats with sugar, and then sprinkle cinnamon on top. Add ribbons of syrup (any kind).

Roll ‘em up, cut ‘em off, bake at 375 till brown.

Note: these are my mom's recipes for her wonderful biscuits and cinnamon rolls. She gave me a hand-written copy, which I have posted pretty much verbatim here.

It is very good eating...I wish she were around now, I'd make her some and we'd eat them up together.

--James
Last edited by peeplj on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I was just thinking the same thing!!!!!

Omelette

2 eggs
1-2 tablespoons cold water

Optional: Crumbled cheese, onions, ham, bacon, what-have-you for inside

Break eggs into bowl. Add water. Whisk briskly with fork, using a circular sort of folding-over motion. Pour into a hot, preferably buttered, omelet pan (well, anything, really, but it's easier to fold in an omelette pan) on modest heat. Sprinkle the filling over one-half of the omelette. When things have solidified up and are doing nicely, slide a spatula under one side of the omelette (the side that doesn't have stuff on it), tilt the pan a bit, and fold it over. Continue cooking until it's done. Slide it out of the pan onto plate.

Note: I usually do not use nonstick cookware, but make an exception for omelette pans. :wink:
Cotelette d'Agneau
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I'm not sure which one to pick...do you think you can make another option? Perhaps YeS!!!! or something?

;)

I agree about having a recipe forum. Cooking is one of my hobbies...considering I do so much of it.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I voted "yes!" (but the first one) :D
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

i voted "all of the above". :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

No, it doesn't. Get thee to the internet, s1m0n.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm with Nano. I'm all forumed out here. Of course, I'd pay about as much attention to it as I do to the pipes and flutes, but how about, if you have something unfathomably wonderful that you must share, just make a thread in the pub?
larrym.

Post by larrym. »

Omelette

2 eggs
1-2 tablespoons cold water

Optional: Crumbled cheese, onions, ham, bacon, what-have-you for inside

Break eggs into bowl. Add water. Whisk briskly with fork, using a circular sort of folding-over motion. Pour into a hot, preferably buttered, omelet pan (well, anything, really, but it's easier to fold in an omelette pan) on modest heat. Sprinkle the filling over one-half of the omelette. When things have solidified up and are doing nicely, slide a spatula under one side of the omelette (the side that doesn't have stuff on it), tilt the pan a bit, and fold it over. Continue cooking until it's done. Slide it out of the pan onto plate.

If you'll add approx. 1 teaspoon of buttermilk pancake batter mix you'll have an omelette ala IHOP! ----

Larry

"For God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Have you Merkins got bloody big eggs or something? And what's with the water in omelettes!! :o

Omelette: You need a medium-sized frying pan, not your biggest. Before you start, your chips done in olive oil in the oven (fries, Merkins) should be all but ready to serve, as the omelette takes but a minute and a half. Have a nice warm plate ready, too.

For each omelette break THREE eggs (THREE!!! :evil:) into a bowl. An omelette cannot be made out of two or four eggs. Add salt and freshly-ground black pepper. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ADD ANY OTHER LIQUID! Put frying pan on to the highest heat your stove can muster and add a generous knob of butter to it. No other fat will do. If you don't want to use butter don't even try to cook omelettes. This is not the place for olive oil. Beat eggs with fork. You don't need to be too particular. When the butter is bubbling furiously and on the point of turning brown, pour in the egg mixture. Swirl it around to cover the base of the pan. Count to 30, then use a fish slice to draw in the edges of the omelette to the centre and allow the liquid centre to pour out to the edges. When there is just a smidgeon of liquid left you can add anything you like to the omelette (cheese, cooked mushrooms, nothing, etc.). Fold the omelette in half and leave for about another 45 seconds. During this 45 seconds put your chips on to your warmed plate. Push the omelette out of the pan on to your plate. Devour, preferably in your by-now very smelly and overheated kitchen. An omelette carted off into the refined surroundings of a pristine room elsewhere in the house just doesn't pack the same punch. You should be sweating a lot when you sit down to eat your omelette. Not your partner though, perhaps. Do it my way and they'll love you to bits despite the sweating. Guaranteed.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

And I bought two medium pans that I keep just for omelettes, so that I can do two at a time. Skill or what.

SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

White wine goes well with omelette and chips, as does dry cider or, preferably, a good hoppy beer such as Doom Bar. Definitely not anything thin and gassy. So maybe you Merkins should stick to the white wine option. :D

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote:Have you Merkins got bloody big eggs or something? And what's with the water in omelettes!! :o

Perhaps yours are just small and watery? :lol:

Correction to Omelette Recipe:
Yurpeens, use 3 eggs.
Merkins, use 2 eggs.
Texans, use 1 egg.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Recipe forum? No.

Recipe threads in the pub? Of course!

And...I need a recipe for cheese/sausage balls.