Sound Muffling for apartment practicing

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mightymo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mightymo »

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I think I will try to build one of those silencers. :)
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Of course, a flat chanter doesn't carry as much as a D chanter does, so that is actually the best solution.

I settled on a C as I heard a great C session at the last class I attended in Elkins, WV, but I sort of wish I had gone for B as I haven't had much success in talking folks into tuning down a step to play with me. I might as well have gone for the "best pitch" for the UPs.

Once you go flat, you will never go back!
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

itisi wrote:
Pyroh wrote:Where do you live? Doesn´t your house have some sort of attic, or a cellar? Maybe you could practise there - plus, if you do sound isolation on the walls of your cellar, it will look much less ugly than in your room :-)
The thread is called "Sound Muffling for APARTMENT practicing"

Now ask him again if he has an attic or a cellar...
Itisi, I´m not a complete idiot who can´t even read, you know. Maybe you´re from different world region, but here, in central europe, even big houses with many apartments (20+) have an attic, and a cellar ;-)
Mightymo

Post by Mightymo »

Yeah, a set of flat pipes would be the bomb. I kind of screwed up. I should have bought a full set in B and then just bought a D chanter for sessions. Oh well...Maybe some day. Haha
daiv

Post by daiv »

Boody wrote:I am about to move into college dorms and am worried that my neighbors/roommate might not be very understanding about my practicing. The room is pretty small so I don't think any external methods are going to work. Well, my pipes aren't here yet, so I am not sure how loud they are, but hopefully it will work out.
if your college has a music program, there should be practice rooms. at community college, i used to spend hours every day practicing to my hearts content. as i will be probably moving into dorms at a state school, i am also concerned about that problem (and also havent gotten my pipes yet). luckily, if i move in, the residence hall program i would join has a private library in the basement, which nobody ever uses.
TheSilverSpear
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by TheSilverSpear »

When I was living in university accommodation, both as an undergrad and a postgrad, I found that I could not practice in the residence halls at all. However, most universities have music rooms you can access as a student, so it's possible to practice. Sometimes it requires a ten minute hike up a hill with pipes, which is a pain, but there isn't much you can do about it. It is often university policy to prohibit the playing of loud, obnoxious instruments (but not recorded techno music, for some reason). At the moment I live in a flat in Edinburgh, which is city living as much as anything in New York (where I've also lived at one point) and made sure that I found tolerant flatmates whilst flathunting. It can be done. As far as neighbors go, I think the walls of my building are thick enough that they're not bothered.
Boody

Post by Boody »

I have moved in, and luckily right in my dorm hall there are two practice rooms right downstairs :D
I can now play all I want without the entire floor knocking down my door. :)
Whistle Clips (Old, I really need to update these)
Mightymo

Post by Mightymo »

Unfortunately I graduated from college a couple years ago, used to practice in the practice rooms all the time. All the pianists would come walking by and stare into the room...quite the laugh...

In addition to the silencer idea, I recently came across this awesome room design. I think the design is practical; however, the sound proofing foam on the site is not. Looking into some other manufacturers, will keep you guys posted:

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/ ... l_room.htm
Mightymo

Post by Mightymo »

Boody wrote:I have moved in, and luckily right in my dorm hall there are two practice rooms right downstairs :D
I can now play all I want without the entire floor knocking down my door. :)
Congrats Boody on the practice rooms. That rocks! :)
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Adam Modares wrote:
In addition to the silencer idea, I recently came across this awesome room design. I think the design is practical; however, the sound proofing foam on the site is not. Looking into some other manufacturers, will keep you guys posted:

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/ ... l_room.htm
Interesting. You will need a supplemental supply of oxygen however.

There are better hinges available too. You can get these long hinge strips that are used in trade show displays. We can talk.

t
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

You can also just use 2" cheap foam. Won't be as good as sound dampening foam, but you're not looking for utter silence, you just want to quiet things down as you whale on that off-the-knee second octave f over and over again.