Californians...ready for the big storm?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Californians...ready for the big storm?

Post by Redwolf »

I don't know how much press this is getting elsewhere, but they're saying this storm that's coming is a real monster (you should have seen the line today of people waiting at Ace to buy batteries, lanterns, etc!).

We should be fine here, unless our neighbor's 200-foot Doug Fir decides to pick this year to come crashing down...we're not in a flood plain or on an unstable slope. Hope the rest of you all have those hatches battened down!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I be thinking about you, Redwolf. I hope that you and your loved ones stay safe as the storm passes.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Hang in there, Red!

Er, Katy, Bar the Door!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Hang in there, Red!

Er, Katy, Bar the Door!
Cross threader!!!! :lol:

I'll be thinking about you, Red, and everyone over your way. I hope all goes well, and it doesn't end up being as bad as predicted.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

We need the rain. We don't need the wind.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
missy

Re: Californians...ready for the big storm?

Post by missy »

Redwolf wrote:(you should have seen the line today of people waiting at Ace to buy batteries, lanterns, etc!).
gee around here, people buy bread and milk (Tom buys beer).

Good thoughts, Red and Weeks.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

missy wrote:
Redwolf wrote:(you should have seen the line today of people waiting at Ace to buy batteries, lanterns, etc!).
gee around here, people buy bread and milk (Tom buys beer).

Good thoughts, Red and Weeks.
I remember that from North Carolina. At the first hint of the word "snow," every supermarket in the state would suddenly empty of milk and bread. It always puzzled me..."you're going to lose power, perhaps for days, and you're stocking up on PERISHABLES????' :lol: It was almost funny...when we learned that Hurricane Fran was going to come over the top of us, I was able to buy all kinds of useful goodies...a nice Coleman stove, lanterns and mantles, etc., candles, batteries, ice, water, canned soup and chili, oatmeal, and other non-perishable foodstuffs...even (get this!) powdered milk! But if I'd have needed a pint of fresh milk to save my life, I would have died! There was no milk, eggs or bread to be had anywhere. That may be why we weathered a week without electricity (or a gas-guzzling generator) a lot better than some of our neighbors.

Weeks is right...we do need the water, though we'd be better off getting it over a period of days, and without the wind. I'm just glad right now that we don't have one of those houses with a picturesque location on the banks of the San Lorenzo...those folks are going to be sandbagging by tomorrow night, at the latest.

Redwolf
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Redwolf wrote:...we're not in a flood plain or on an unstable slope.
Hmmm...I was under the impression that all of California was one or the other. :D

Hang in there. Or get on your skateboard, hoist a bedsheet, and you'll be at Wilson Manor in time for breakfast.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

I got a call from our town's automated emergency system (that was installed after the flooding we had two winters ago) telling us to prepare for possible floods again, and I already got my free sandbags, too.

The last report said we can expect up to 8 inches of rain in the next 24 hours in my area of Marin County. Two winters ago, 8 inches of rain fell in 24 hours here, and my house filled with about four feet of muddy brown water. That sucked. (Story of that event here.)

We're hoping that, since the ground is relatively dry from lack of rain, that more of the water will be absorbed into the soil and less will end up feeding the river, so that it won't overflow its banks. But I'm working from home tomorrow, just in case I have to frantically try to lift all my furniture up off the ground and save what I bought to replace everything I lost last time. I don't really look forward to replacing 80-90% of my stuff for the second time in two years . . . Oy!

Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

herbivore12 wrote:I got a call from our town's automated emergency system (that was installed after the flooding we had two winters ago) telling us to prepare for possible floods again, and I already got my free sandbags, too.

The last report said we can expect up to 8 inches of rain in the next 24 hours in my area of Marin County. Two winters ago, 8 inches of rain fell in 24 hours here, and my house filled with about four feet of muddy brown water. That sucked. (Story of that event here.)

We're hoping that, since the ground is relatively dry from lack of rain, that more of the water will be absorbed into the soil and less will end up feeding the river, so that it won't overflow its banks. But I'm working from home tomorrow, just in case I have to frantically try to lift all my furniture up off the ground and save what I bought to replace everything I lost last time. I don't really look forward to replacing 80-90% of my stuff for the second time in two years . . . Oy!

Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.
Oh, I remember the flooding in Marin County that winter! Knock wood and cross fingers that it won't be that bad this year!

They're already telling us to expect flooding on the San Lorenzo.

I think most people here are going to be working from home tomorrow too. In fact, when my husband left work, his manager said "see you Monday!"

Redwolf
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Hope it doesn't cause much trouble, and that everyone gets through it well.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

Good luck to you foks up north. Down here people who live below the hillsides just ravaged by fire are nervous, and rightly so. In my case, we live in a man made harbor and the seawalls will take seven foot plus tides (and have done so in the 30 some years we have lived in our charming abode) so if the winds and the runoff aren't too great we should be o.k. Tides will be less than 5 feet for the next few days.

We have floating docks out front (yes, I know, all docks should float :) but these rise and fall with the tide) and new ones were just installed last year. Might be a good test for them.

A few years ago we had an earthquake in the middle of the night and in the surge one of the docklines on my trawler tore the cleat out of the dock. I had to race down the gangway in my sleeping apparel to perform a clumsy rescue mission. Good thing no one had a camera handy. :o

Anyway, all's well . . . ., etc etc etc and I hope it will be this time for everyone,
Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

What I keep wondering is how many surfers are going to rush down to the bay tomorrow to catch the 20-foot swells.

Redwolf
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

This is about as close as we get to something like a hurricane. Not as warm, but plenty of rain blowing horizontally as well as vertically. I'm sitting in a "cell" that is supposedly getting 2" per hour. I heard that 6" fell overnight in Marin. It's a miracle that the power is still on. It's supposed to let up some by noon.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

Hasn't gotten down here yet but it is dark. When I started swimming this morning at 6:45 there were blue skies with broken clouds. When I finished an hour later it had clouded up. As I look out the window the wind has started. As Ms Bobbitt said, it won't be long now.

Glad to hear the power is still on for you up north,
Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi