I Am Legend

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Dale wrote:Overall, I liked the movie.

Why was Will Smith immune? Was it just sheer coincidence?

Also, my daughter and I didn't understood that it was explicit that Smith's character was among those responsible for the plague, I thought it was implicit.

I thought that the CG zombies and animals were not entirely convincing, but were made up for by how completely convincing the empty-NYC was depicted.

Also, I thought that scene when he went into the dark building to find his dog was really, really scary.
Yes, I think I was mistaken in saying Smith was responsible
for the plague. Here's wiki.

After the outbreak of a lethal virus, military virologist Lt. Colonel Robert Neville (Will Smith) is left as the last healthy human in New York City and possibly the world.

Opening in 2012, a series of flashbacks and recorded news programmes reveal that in 2009 a genetically re-engineered measles virus, originally created as a cure for cancer, mutated into a lethal strain which rapidly infected humans and animals. By the end of the year, over 90% of the planet's human population had been killed. Over 9% were infected, but did not die. These survivors degenerated into a primal state of aggression and began to react painfully to UV radiation, forcing them to hide in buildings and other dark places during the day. Less than 1% remained completely immune to the virus, but were hunted and killed by the infected, until Robert Neville is left as what he believes to be the last healthy human in the world.

Three years after the outbreak, Neville's daily routine includes experimentation to find a cure for the virus and trips through a Manhattan devoid of humanity to hunt for food and supplies. He also waits each day for a response to his continuous recorded radio broadcasts, which instruct any uninfected survivors to meet him at midday at the South Street Seaport. ... Neville's isolation is broken only by the companionship of his dog Samantha ("Sam"), interaction with mannequins that he has set up as patrons of a video store, and recordings of old news and entertainment broadcasts.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Tyler wrote:
Redwolf wrote:I'd like to see Legend, but I probably won't bother with "The Golden Compass." I did read all the books, and found them well-written and engaging, but the ending of the third book was, to my mind, so heartbreakingly depressing and empty that, unlike with most books and series I've read and enjoyed, I've never felt a desire to re-read them. Consequently, I have no real desire to become involved with the film version.

Now, what I'm hoping to see come out soon is the next installment in the Chronicles of Narnia series. They've got to work fast if they don't want those kids to get too long in the tooth -- they've got one more film to do with Peter and Susan, and two with Edmund and Lucy!

Redwolf
You see the trailer for Prince Caspian yet?
It's killer!!!
No, I haven't! That's exciting! When is it coming out, do you know?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Yay! Just found it at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqzYukVDqy4

I'm very excited.

BTW, I'm happy that Disney is following the order in which the books were originally published, rather the order in which they're now packaged. Even though "The Magician's Nephew" comes first sequentially, I really think "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe," "Prince Caspian" and "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" are essential for establishing the "universe" of Narnia.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
falkbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by falkbeer »

jim stone wrote:Yes, I think it follows the book less well than
the Heston version did.

The scenes of NYC three years after the plague
are very good, very affecting. Also the terrible
loneliness of the Will Smith character,
who holds himself responsible for
the plague and is still determined
to find a cure.

Also the methodical arrangements he has made
to survive, both physically and emotionally.

I wasn't sure Smith carried the movie so well--but obviously
most reviewers agree with James that he did
a fine job.
Please Jim, no more spoilers! I haven´t seen this film yet! Is it worth seeing?
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

There's an interesting article in Atlantic Monthly about what Hollywood did to the film version of The Golden Compass, and how it resulted in a movie that both resembles the book but also fails the book deeply. It's not an uncommon story; Hollywood tries to please everybody, and is scared to potentially offend anybody, and so you end up with watered down blockbusters that leave you going, "Eh..." (I read and liked the books, and just saw the movie this weekend; it felt soulless and unaffecting to me.)

The movie version of "I Am Legend" bears little resemblance to the book. I could tell early on that would be the case, so I tried to block out any expectations based on book/movie comparisons, and was able to enjoy the flick as a zombie (or "not-zombie") movie. The best bits, as noted, are the loneliness of the empty New York and the scary scene Dale notes, when Will Smith is looking for his dog in a dark building. A fun film on its own merits, then, but not so good as an adaptation of the book. (The ending got a bit too mystical mumbo-jumboish for my taste, but that's Hollywood for you.)

Anyone see the vampire film "30 Days of Night"? Was it any good? The premise -- vampires moving in on a town in northern Alaska, where the sun doesn't rise for weeks at a time -- seemed pretty promising.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

There's something in that movie that bothers me but I can't say what it was because it could be a spoiler.

I guess it will just bother me for eternity.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Redwolf wrote:Yay! Just found it at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqzYukVDqy4

I'm very excited.

BTW, I'm happy that Disney is following the order in which the books were originally published, rather the order in which they're now packaged. Even though "The Magician's Nephew" comes first sequentially, I really think "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe," "Prince Caspian" and "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" are essential for establishing the "universe" of Narnia.

Redwolf
Yeah, the continuity has to be estabished before getting into The Magician's Nephew.
I gave my nephew a copy of the CoN in the large compendium volume they publish now, and he mentioned to me that had he not already read TLWW he'd probably not have been very interested in the backstory that Magicians Nephew offered.
All in all, I think the approach Disney's taking is the right one.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

buddhu wrote:That's my problem.

It may be fine as what it is, but the book was (from what you and others have said) a lot more. I certainly found the book a really powerful work.

I don't see anything in the essentials of the book that couldn't make the transition in the hands of a good screenwriter. As Jim said, there was real social commentary there.

But then zombies and cannibals sell at the moment. Vampires haven't really been fashionable on the big screen for a while now. Who need content when you have the fashionable motifs that the market wants.

Even zombies lost all irony and metaphorical power once they flew Romero's nest.

Still, I keep forgetting. Cinema isn't art, it's business.
Yeah, certainly, zombies (or more correctly not-zombies) are the monster du jour lately, and vamps seem to have lost the fathoms of elegant appeal they used to have, i.e. when everybody and their dog was a Rice fan way back in the early 90s (yawn :wink: ).
I think more than just zombies, it's the altering of ourselves in a negative fashion because of mistakes we've made that seems to appeal to folks nowadays (hence the not-zombie theme). I think we see subconsciously as a society the broad potential of the possible dark side to our technologically advanced world, and that unknown scares the livin' sh*t outta us right now, the scare du jour if you will.
Like jim (i believe it was jim, correct me if I'm wrong) mentioned earlier, zombies have lost much of their political and some social significance, but have retained (or gained), I believe, power to comment on the human condition in our current state of existence.

Oh this is such fun, innit, buddhu? I could go on and on and on about horror movies... :D

BTW for anyone interested, best-horror-movies.com has posted their Top 10 Horror Movies of '07 which includes the Top 5 Disappointments of '07...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

Can't wait to see this movie..

I enjoy any movie that has the opportunity to scare me.

On another note, I just finished The Golden Compass book last night. I am quite intrigued with the storyline...started The Subtle Knife this morning after my shower...

Prince Caspian will be released early this spring along side The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe Blu-ray release...can't wait!!!

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

jkwest wrote:Can't wait to see this movie..

I enjoy any movie that has the opportunity to scare me.

On another note, I just finished The Golden Compass book last night. I am quite intrigued with the storyline...started The Subtle Knife this morning after my shower...

Prince Caspian will be released early this spring along side The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe Blu-ray release...can't wait!!!
There's definately some good "jumps" in Legend. I don't imagine you'll be disapointed :wink:
Took my wife to see it last night...i have bruises and fingermarks on my arm! :lol:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

The pursuit of a full and wholesome lifestyle precludes my watching movies like this.

In other words, I like to sleep nights.
Cotelette d'Agneau
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

herbivore12 wrote:There's an interesting article in Atlantic Monthly about what Hollywood did to the film version of The Golden Compass, and how it resulted in a movie that both resembles the book but also fails the book deeply. It's not an uncommon story; Hollywood tries to please everybody, and is scared to potentially offend anybody, and so you end up with watered down blockbusters that leave you going, "Eh..." (I read and liked the books, and just saw the movie this weekend; it felt soulless and unaffecting to me.)

The movie version of "I Am Legend" bears little resemblance to the book. I could tell early on that would be the case, so I tried to block out any expectations based on book/movie comparisons, and was able to enjoy the flick as a zombie (or "not-zombie") movie. The best bits, as noted, are the loneliness of the empty New York and the scary scene Dale notes, when Will Smith is looking for his dog in a dark building. A fun film on its own merits, then, but not so good as an adaptation of the book. (The ending got a bit too mystical mumbo-jumboish for my taste, but that's Hollywood for you.)

Anyone see the vampire film "30 Days of Night"? Was it any good? The premise -- vampires moving in on a town in northern Alaska, where the sun doesn't rise for weeks at a time -- seemed pretty promising.
That kind of mirrors what I think re. Golden Compass and Legend. Whether they work well as what they are is one thing. The trouble is, as I loved both books, I will always find myself lamenting the missed opportunity to do a good, faithful adaptation (where such a translation is possible).

I detest the limitations put on most commercial movies, and the condescending second-guessing that goes on regarding what the audience can or can't cope with/understand etc. If a good telling of Golden Compass would take 2 1/2 or 3 hrs, then do it.

As for Legend, is there a valid reason for turning the vampires into um... "not zombies"? That change seems, to me, to destroy the effective symbolism of the story. I don't see how it could survive, and Jim's description leads me to believe that it didn't. As that seemed to be the central point of the story, what (other than a gloomy/scary situation) was left of inspiration from Matheson's book?

What was the artistic/practical reason for the change in the nature of the adversaries?

Damn. I really want to see this now, just to reassure myself that the makers didn't just take a story with depth and go "Ooh, neat horror idea. Wouldn't it be scarier if the guy had zombies to fight? The marks'll lap that up..."

But then, yeah they will. Just look at the "horror" shelves in video stores. Oy, depressing.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Tyler wrote:
Dale wrote:Overall, I liked the movie.

Why was Will Smith immune? Was it just sheer coincidence?

Also, my daughter and I didn't understood that it was explicit that Smith's character was among those responsible for the plague, I thought it was implicit.

I thought that the CG zombies and animals were not entirely convincing, but were made up for by how completely convincing the empty-NYC was depicted.

Also, I thought that scene when he went into the dark building to find his dog was really, really scary.
Went and saw it yesterday.
Could have done without the CGI also, but overall it was a fun flick.
flydood wrote: I liked it OK on it's own merit, not comparing it to the book.

I remember when I saw Kubrick's version of The Shining. I was pissed! Years later I watched it again and decided it was pretty good if you didn't compare it to the book.

One of my favorite novels is James Jones' "The Thin Red Line". Both versions of the film are total suckage in comparison.

I liked both Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Bladerunner.
Ditto these sentiments.

For the record...this is NOT a zombie film; I Am Legend is a not-zombie film.
I.E., the actual definition of a zombie is a corpse that has been reanimated; it is requisite that the subject be deceased.
This has been a subject of much debate in zombie film fandom, as there have been many films (and books) lately that have dealt with the idea of people becoming zombie like creatures without actually dying and being reanimated (28 days later, i am legend, Cell by stephen king, etc.). Despite these creatures not having passed on before "zombification" yet show nearly all other characteristics of cinema zombies, it was decided by zombie film experts to give these ideas home in the zombie genre but not give them the actual status of "zombie." That's why they're referred to as "not-zombies."
:D
Zombioids?

But, really, even their zombiodness is sort of the 28-day variety. Fast-moving zombies.

Whenever a genre of fiction (books, movies, etc.) persists over a long time, I always wonder why and always figure it resonates with something in the collective psyche. Who knows how many thousands and thousands of Frankenstein stories we've had--something we create ends up threatening to destroy us--or actually does. I Am Legend is another one of those. But what do you think is up with all the zombie movies?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Tyler wrote: I think more than just zombies, it's the altering of ourselves in a negative fashion because of mistakes we've made that seems to appeal to folks nowadays (hence the not-zombie theme). I think we see subconsciously as a society the broad potential of the possible dark side to our technologically advanced world, and that unknown scares the livin' sh*t outta us right now, the scare du jour if you will.

Ok. Just saw this.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Tyler wrote: I think more than just zombies, it's the altering of ourselves in a negative fashion because of mistakes we've made that seems to appeal to folks nowadays (hence the not-zombie theme). I think we see subconsciously as a society the broad potential of the possible dark side to our technologically advanced world, and that unknown scares the livin' sh*t outta us right now, the scare du jour if you will.
It seems that the older zombie movies were allegory of communism and fed off of the fear caused by the “Red Scare”. Becoming faceless members of an unthinking heard or destroyed in the process seemed to be the mode of the classic Zombie flick. This would make “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” a classic zombie type flick, but “28 Days Later” a Neo-Zombie flick.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."