movies that make you cry

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

sbfluter wrote:I guess I'm weird but The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill makes me cry.
Terrific film.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I for one, am happy to see that I am not the only one who will admit to crying over Iron Giant ~ a VASTLY underrated film, in my opinion.

Ghost.

Rent.

Rocky 1 when he kisses Adrian for the first time.

And didn't anyone else find The Last of the Mohicans sad at the end?!?!?!?!?!

There are too many others to mention.

And usually, I'll tear up over any scene where a baby is born.... I'm very sentimental at that, too....

I guess Hollywood knows how to push my buttons. 8)

M
larrym.

Post by larrym. »

I know I'll probably catch grief for this one but "Field of Dreams" brought an overflow of tear when Kevin Costner's Dad showed up. Can't recall my Dad ever playing catch with me so that's the simple reason.

Larry Madden
"For God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

larrym. wrote:I know I'll probably catch grief for this one but "Field of Dreams" brought an overflow of tear when Kevin Costner's Dad showed up. Can't recall my Dad ever playing catch with me so that's the simple reason.

Larry Madden
Field of Dreams and Brian's Song (the original) will get any man to flood the room.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: movies that make you cry

Post by anniemcu »

Cranberry wrote:
anniemcu wrote:
Cranberry wrote:For a few years I didn't watch movies. Lately, though, I've been watching a few. Friday night I watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time at my neighbor's house. It made me cry.

Which movies have made you cry, and what are they about? Would you watch them again?
You know, I didn't like Brokeback Mountain. I felt like it was just used to bring homosexuality, with extreme emphasis on the sexual part, to the screen in a more blatant manner. The movie itself just wasn't that good. The story relied way too much on assumption and the shallowness of the relationships didn't jive with the weight given them - The love implied between the two guys was never supported by any of the story, only the lust and insanity. That may be the fact of a lot of relationships, hetero or homosexual, but I think it could have been done a whole lot better.
Had you read the story? I had read the story before but never seen the movie. The story shows a lot more of the characters' personalities, I think. They were just kids when their relationship begins (they were 19) but I think the movie kind of glossed over that and concentrated on the later part, after Jack gets killed. It makes sense, I guess, because it's more difficult to make an actor look younger than older.

edit: I see Redwolf beat me to mentioning the story. Sorry. :)
That was my point. It didn't do the relationships justice and so became only a vehicle for putting sex on the screen, and this time, homosexual sex. I think it failed because of that. It could have illustrated the genuine love in an enduring, though troubled relationship, the difficulties of leading a 'normal life' when feeling socially isolated, the depth of commitment, the irony of loving one and living with another... so much that could have helped people understand the reality of love in homosexual relationships, but instead tossed the meat of the story out in favor of the meat of screen sex. Honestly, I think it may have done more damage than good for the actual understanding of love for someone of the same sex, and promoted the stereotype that homosexuality is only about deviant sex. Perhaps worthy of a tear for that.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

anniemcu wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
anniemcu wrote: You know, I didn't like Brokeback Mountain. I felt like it was just used to bring homosexuality, with extreme emphasis on the sexual part, to the screen in a more blatant manner. The movie itself just wasn't that good. The story relied way too much on assumption and the shallowness of the relationships didn't jive with the weight given them - The love implied between the two guys was never supported by any of the story, only the lust and insanity. That may be the fact of a lot of relationships, hetero or homosexual, but I think it could have been done a whole lot better.
Had you read the story? I had read the story before but never seen the movie. The story shows a lot more of the characters' personalities, I think. They were just kids when their relationship begins (they were 19) but I think the movie kind of glossed over that and concentrated on the later part, after Jack gets killed. It makes sense, I guess, because it's more difficult to make an actor look younger than older.

edit: I see Redwolf beat me to mentioning the story. Sorry. :)
That was my point. It didn't do the relationships justice and so became only a vehicle for putting sex on the screen, and this time, homosexual sex. I think it failed because of that. It could have illustrated the genuine love in an enduring, though troubled relationship, the difficulties of leading a 'normal life' when feeling socially isolated, the depth of commitment, the irony of loving one and living with another... so much that could have helped people understand the reality of love in homosexual relationships, but instead tossed the meat of the story out in favor of the meat of screen sex. Honestly, I think it may have done more damage than good for the actual understanding of love for someone of the same sex, and promoted the stereotype that homosexuality is only about deviant sex. Perhaps worthy of a tear for that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you've ever been in such a relationship. I have, and I wonder if it's not something that affects how you feel about the movie.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Eraserhead. :cry:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Cranberry wrote:For a few years I didn't watch movies. Lately, though, I've been watching a few. Friday night I watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time at my neighbor's house. It made me cry.

Which movies have made you cry, and what are they about? Would you watch them again?
Babe! Every time. I haven´t been able to eat bacon ever since I saw it!
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

falkbeer wrote:

Babe! Every time. I haven´t been able to eat bacon ever since I saw it!
Funny, that same movie gave me an unquenchable thirst for bacon... and shoulder, in the smoker of course :P

250 degrees for four hours? That'll do, pig!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Cranberry wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you've ever been in such a relationship. I have, and I wonder if it's not something that affects how you feel about the movie.
Oh, trust me, I've been in tumultuous relationships. :o I'm sure that the fact that this movie finally deals openly with same-sex love/sex roles makes it good for you. I see it being valued for that, but it could have been so much better a movie and still have done that. It broke ground... necessary ground, but *IMHO* it didn't do it well.
anniemcu
---
---
---
Jack

Post by Jack »

anniemcu wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you've ever been in such a relationship. I have, and I wonder if it's not something that affects how you feel about the movie.
Oh, trust me, I've been in tumultuous relationships. :o I'm sure that the fact that this movie finally deals openly with same-sex love/sex roles makes it good for you. I see it being valued for that, but it could have been so much better a movie and still have done that. It broke ground... necessary ground, but *IMHO* it didn't do it well.
I understand what you're saying, but it seems the prevailing opinion is opposite because if I remember correctly (I could be wrong) the movie did really well commercially in a lot of countries, including the US.

Regarding Babe, I watched that as a kid. Part of the reason I'm vegetarian: pigs are so cute, in real life, too. :)
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Cranberry wrote:
anniemcu wrote:
I understand what you're saying, but it seems the prevailing opinion is opposite because if I remember correctly (I could be wrong) the movie did really well commercially in a lot of countries, including the US.

Regarding Babe, I watched that as a kid. Part of the reason I'm vegetarian: pigs are so cute, in real life, too. :)
It did do very well here, but I think that had more to do with the subject matter than with the quality of the story telling. That middle section just dragged on and on. Commercial success doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of the film...many people who went to see it (or who bought the DVD) did so out of support for the topic or, perhaps in some cases, simple curiousity rather than because they'd heard it was an outstanding film.

It wasn't bad, by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think it would have done nearly so well commercially had the key characters not been gay. I enjoyed the first part of the film and cried at the end, but I feel I could have run to Starbucks during the middle section and really not have missed much.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Cranberry wrote: ... I understand what you're saying, but it seems the prevailing opinion is opposite because if I remember correctly (I could be wrong) the movie did really well commercially in a lot of countries, including the US.
Lots of movies I don't care for make a lot of money at the box office. :lol: Like i said, i think it is being valued for its envelope-slicing rather than the excellence of its portrayal of the original story, or the excellence of the movie . I thought the actors did a good job with their parts, but their parts and the whole didn't add up to a good movie *in my opinion*. Still, if it gets people thinking and talking more openly and looking for greater understanding, it will have accomplished something. I'm just afraid it really will only titillate the sexual voyeur and not make them think any more deeply with the brain at the other end of their spines, and that's a sad waste of what was a great opportunity and even a good story that deserved to be told, but lost too much in the movie.
anniemcu
---
---
---
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Cranberry wrote:Regarding Babe, I watched that as a kid. Part of the reason I'm vegetarian: pigs are so cute, in real life, too. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you've ever barbequed and eaten such a baby pig. I have, and I wonder if it's not something that affects how you feel about the movie.

But I digress. I can't think of a movie that made me cry, but it flat tore me up when Gordon Jump died and they had to get a new Maytag repairman. I still get a little choked up when I do the laundry.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jack

Post by Jack »

gonzo914 wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Regarding Babe, I watched that as a kid. Part of the reason I'm vegetarian: pigs are so cute, in real life, too. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you've ever barbequed and eaten such a baby pig. I have, and I wonder if it's not something that affects how you feel about the movie.
You're wrong, so I will correct you. I have indeed done so.