Very local word usage...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Very local word usage...

Post by brewerpaul »

I love finding local word usages and thought that people here might want to share some.

When I first moved to Troy NY from downstate, I found that people used the word "bold" in the same way that I was used to using "bad" or "naughty", usually to children who are acting up:
"Tommy, stop pulling the cat's tail. You're being bold!" When I pointed out to people that this was unfamiliar to me, they looked at me like I had two heads. This appears to be VERY local usage-- I haven't heard people in nearby Albany or Schenectady use bold in this way.

An older usage was told to me by a Troy native, although I haven't heard it in modern use. People in South Troy apparently would say of a person with an overly inflated opinion of himself that "he thinks who he is". Doesn't make any linguistic sense at all, but I find it surprisingly descriptive for some reason. My wife and I are doing our utmost to revive this expression :D

Got any others?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I spent a summer in western North Carolina in the mountains and when people would refer to their kids in the third person they would use 'hee'its' regardless of gender. Like 'hee'its five' or 'hee'its starting school next year.' So if you couldn't tell the gender by looking they gave you no help. I don't know how widespread that useage is.

Also, they would use the term 'right smart' to mean a significant number, like 'He lives right smart up the road."
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Very local word usage...

Post by izzarina »

brewerpaul wrote:When I first moved to Troy NY from downstate, I found that people used the word "bold" in the same way that I was used to using "bad" or "naughty", usually to children who are acting up:
"Tommy, stop pulling the cat's tail. You're being bold!"
I believe they use it this way in Ireland as well...I wonder if there is a concentration of Irish immigrants in that area?

Up here in the North Country of NY, when I moved from the Plattsburgh area to the other side of the Northern Tier, I noticed they used the word "ignorant" strangely. If you were being rude or obnoxious, you would be met with something like "Stop being ignorant!!" Me, with my exceedingly sarcastic nature, couldn't figure out for the longest time why people kept telling me to stop being uninformed and uneducated (and me being the sarcastic person that I am would ask them why they were accusing me of being uneducated...I was always met with a blank stare :P ) It took a bit of time to understand they were telling me that I was being obnoxious. And despite living here for the amount of time that I did (before moving all over creation, and then coming back), I never got used to the word being used in that way. I had forgotten about it's usage in that way until we came back here a little over a year ago and I heard someone say it...it still struck me as odd.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
missy

Post by missy »

In Cincinnati, if someone doesn't hear or understand what you have just said, they may ask "Please?". Supposedly it comes from the strong German heritage in the area.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My sister used to do a recitation about the "bold, unbiddable child".

In fact, here it is on the net: Bold yin

It seems to be Irish, or at least, Irish-ish.

The use of the word "ignorant" to mean "badly-mannered" also sounds Irish to my ears. It's probably just archaic English, but the usage is only preserved in places in Ireland. And, clearly, some places in the U.S. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but very few old bold sailors.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

There's this segment in Boondock Saints I just love.
Illustrates the diversity of one of my favorite words...
I've made it one of my endeavors to use this word according to the rules laid out in the film.
pretty bold behavior :wink:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

When I lived in Pittsburgh, PA, a group of people were "yinz" as in "Where yinz goin'?" Then I moved to Northeast North Carolina, were it's "y'all". "Y'all" makes more sense to me. Here, in NC, they also talk of "funeralizing" a deceased loved one. I'd never heard that before.
Merry Blacksmith on a Feadog.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
rh

Post by rh »

jlunt wrote:When I lived in Pittsburgh, PA, a group of people were "yinz" as in "Where yinz goin'?" Then I moved to Northeast North Carolina, were it's "y'all". "Y'all" makes more sense to me.
I think "yinz" is short for "you'uns", which IIRC comes from "you ones".
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

One of my favorite Appalachian colloquialisms is "Katy, bar the door",
used in place of "Watch out!":

"Once the storm overflows the bank, it'll be Katy bar the door!"
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

missy wrote:In Cincinnati, if someone doesn't hear or understand what you have just said, they may ask "Please?". Supposedly it comes from the strong German heritage in the area.
My wife--from Reading--does that.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

jlunt wrote:When I lived in Pittsburgh, PA, a group of people were "yinz" as in "Where yinz goin'?" Then I moved to Northeast North Carolina, were it's "y'all". "Y'all" makes more sense to me. Here, in NC, they also talk of "funeralizing" a deceased loved one. I'd never heard that before.
I grew up just below Pittsburg, you mispelled younse and younses. When I moved to southern West Virginia, I broke myself from saying those words because folks would laugh way too much. I couldn't bear to say y'all, so I say folks alot. When I go home, my family laughs way too much at that. One of my brothers swears we have no accent and talk just like the newscasters on TV.

Ooops, I forget the possessive forms of younse's and younses'. Try saying that naturally you foreigners.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
missy

Post by missy »

FJohnSharp wrote:
missy wrote:In Cincinnati, if someone doesn't hear or understand what you have just said, they may ask "Please?". Supposedly it comes from the strong German heritage in the area.
My wife--from Reading--does that.
and that's pronounced Red ing - like the color, not Read ing as in what you do with a book!! :D

(tell you wife I'm a MND grad!)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

missy wrote:and that's pronounced Red ing - like the color, not Read ing as in what you do with a book!! :D

(tell you wife I'm a MND grad!)
Try telling Mr Izz that one...he's totally convinced that it's REEDing, rather than REDing. In fact, it's his favorite railroad on Monopoly. But then he's weird :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

There's an Irish song with the lines:
Good morrow, fox. Good morrow, sir. Pray what is that you're eatin'?
Fine fat goose I stole from you, now won't you come and taste it?

Oh, no, indeed, bold fox, I said, how dare you boldly taunt me?
I vow and swear that you'll dearly pay for that fine goose you're eatin'.
'Bold' seems to have both meanings.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird