Can Anyone Describe the Tone of the Abell D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TODDLEMM
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Can Anyone Describe the Tone of the Abell D

Post by TODDLEMM »

Hi:

I'm new to the Forum, and would appreciate some advice. I prefer a sweet, pure, non-breathy tone I find in narrow bore whistles (I normally play a Burke DAN). I have an Abell D on order.

Could anyone describe the Abell tone? I normally play at home to entertain myself, family and friends, and wonder if the tone and volume of the Abell whistles would suit me. Thanks for any advice you may offer.

Cheers, Todd
Quit just before becoming the boss, or you will hate your job.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

If you search YouTube there's a clip with James Galway playing an Abell D. He performs the theme to LOTR.

Here's a review: http://www.tinwhistler.com/index.aspx
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

This guy is playing an Abell D, too:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9uLDuiAzajU
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've had a blackwood d for about 5yrs or so. It as a breathy tone and some people have described it as "sort of flutey." It's fairly loud, too. I've been told his older whistles were more pure in tone. I've got a ton of tunes posted with it on the Clips and Snips site. What newer ones sound like now, I have no idea.

The purity/breathiness issue only matters in a quiet environment, like playing by yourself at home. Get in a noisy pub session and there is no way you or anyone else can hear any breathiness at all. Actually, playing duet with another instrument will likely block out that sound.

Getting beyond tone, the whistle is really easy to play. No unexpected squawks or unintended octave jumps.

Fred Rose in England makes wood whistles that are as pure as you're going to get, right up there with the O'Riordan's. I sold one years ago because it was too pure for my ears.

I listened to the 2 you tube selections: "Lamb of God" and the J Galway one of Lord of the Rings. The same whistle sounded vastly different in tone because of the recordings. The Galway one sounded more like what I expected (this has nothing at all to do with playing skills).

Beside the point, but, in my opinion, having some breathiness in the tone is a nice thing. If you learn to work your breath control with ornamentation, you can get some nice effects. I hope you enjoy your Abell.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm not sure if this is what Tony just said or not, however my take is this:

Abell whistles sound nothing like most narrow bore metal whistles. I say this having owned several of both.

"Pure" Sounding? Nah, mine isn't, but then mine is even older than Tony's, if I'm not mistaken. Some of the newer Abells I've tried have been more pure sounding, but they still didn't sound at all, to my ear, like a Burke (or any other) narrow bore whistle.

YMMV.

Loren
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

abells

Post by Mr.Nate »

Toney,s recordings played with his Abell all sound really good. I might be tempted to buy one. But then I have heard that they vary from pure to chiffy! I think I am over the whistle aquisition thing for right now so I may never get to play one.

One the other hand there is a lady at the session who plays one. I don't like the way it sounds but it may be her style of playing. I have always wanted to play her Abell to see how it sounded from my end but I just couldn't get up enough nerve to ask her if I could spit on her whistle.

After owning or trying wood whistles like a Rose, Weasel, or Busman. I am most impressed with the Busman for overall tone and playablility, but I am sure they vary too.

Mostly I gravitate more for the narrow bore metal whistles like a Sindt, Hoover white cap, or a Humphry.

The Irish Flute Store has a good return policy and would be a good place to find your soulmate whistle as Doc would call it....the man with only one mouth.

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

I wouldn't call it "pure" as well. At least the one I had was quite chiffy, but not the kind of chiff you get from a metallic whistle like a Burke. Of course many people like a chiffy tone and may say the appeal of its simplicity is one of the characteristcs of ITM.

I like that kind of "simple" chiff but I sold my Abell because I didn't like its kind of timbre that to me sounded more like an "air leak". It's like you had a pure tone with an added constant "interference" in the background as a separate entity. All these kinds of tone perceptions are all subjective and difficult to define, anyway I didn't like it but as others said, it may be different from the audience perspective. From the player POV, I didn't feel comfortable playing it and that constant "noise" in the background was quite irritating to me (and I do like chiff!)
Last edited by Romulo on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TODDLEMM

Thanks To All Who've Replied

Post by TODDLEMM »

I really appreciate all the informative replies. I wanted to get a feel for how you seasoned whistle players felt about the instrument. I'm a former sax, clar, flute player, new to (and quite taken with) the whistle, and you've all been most helpful.

I think I'll go ahead with the purchase...looks like even if it's not for me, I wouldn't loose too much dough if I test drove it for a couple of weeks and had to resell it in new condition, so why not give it a try.

I took your advice and listened to the fellow playing Lamb of God on YouTube, and was sincerely touched and impressed by the performance. Thanks again to all for the valued advice.

And thanks also for recommending Doc Jones...I've purchased instruments from him previously and will again...a real gentleman, indeed.

Cheers,

Todd
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The descriptions of the Abells tone are right, not pure, but
chiffy, and I think you will like it anyway.
Really a lovely whistle.

It takes a while to know what it will do--it seems to open up.
At first the sound can seem alright but not great, and then
it becomes better.

Good you're giving it a try.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The tone of which Abell D? Word is that they may vary a bit; Chris generally will ask you what characteristics you prize before making the whistle. I've had two delrin D's - one I traded for a magnificent old Copeland nickel; but I liked the Abell delrin so much, I eventually replaced it - didn't note any difference between the two delrins. I also have a blackwood Bflat/A set which, key notwithstanding, is less bright and has more air. I like the Abells.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I had a Thin Weasel that had a somewhat reedy tone to it. Does an Abell have that characteristic?

Several have described a chiffy tone. How do you define chiff in this case? Thanks, Cyril.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Oy, this stuff can't really be described, it simply has to be experienced.

Loren
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Hi Loren,

We speak a language so that we may describe.

Chiff should not be inscrutable.

It's hardly 26 blind men trying to describe an elephant by touch.

Cheers
Cyril
TODDLEMM

Looks Like Time to Re-Focus

Post by TODDLEMM »

Geez, you guys sure like to debate....so here's a good one for you...

Could somebody please explain the term "chiffy"...I've been a classical and jazz musician for 30+ years, and I really, honestly want to understand this.

Is it breathy, is it dirty, is it raunchy, is it cheap sounding, is it growly, is it rough, is it the antithesis of pure and sweet, is it pure but edgy, is it nice but air-leaky sounding, or is it merely the sound an old, off the rack Generation whistle?

Thanks, friends. Go for it! I'm ready for anything you can throw at me! Take off those gloves!!

Todd
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Yes.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde