High end D's

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Leahcim
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

High end D's

Post by Leahcim »

Though Burke is my first choice thus far in my search, I was wondering what else there is.
I looked at the High End guide on the C&F's main page, and I was wondering what is your favorite high end D whistle.
I'm really hoping I can get one for around 100 dollars, but I dont see too many of those out there.
Irish Marine

High D

Post by Irish Marine »

If you can afford it, get the Burke. It's the only high D you'll ever need. It's a fantastic sound and I feel it's extremely easy and comfortable to play. You'll really enjoy it.
Leahcim

Post by Leahcim »

Okay that being the case, aluminum or brass?
I honestly dont know what difference it makes in the sound.

PS: I meant to ask that the first time :P
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

The Burke is excellent as is a Sindt. If you're looking for something under $100, you might also want to consider Erle Bartlet's Black Diamond.

As to brass or aluminum Burke, the brass feels a bit more substantial (heavier) in the hand and may be a bit darker or warmer in tone (whatever that means). My preference is the brass.

Enjoy.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
eskin

Post by eskin »

If you want a sweet sounding, but not incredibly loud Burke, I suggest the composite narrow bore high D. For sessions and recordings I like the Burke Session Pro brass high D.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Having owned and played both for several years, I prefer the Sindt over the Burke myself. A little more on the traditional side tone-wise, whereas the Burke was almost too pure in tone. YMMV however.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I think that Burke is definitely fine whistle. To my taste, it´s too...common sounding. It sounds good, but I think that Overtons and Reyburns are much more interesting (and, at least for me, Overtons are much more pleasant to play actually).

Right, Overtons may be out of your budget, but as far as I know, Reyburns are cheaper. On the other hand - if you buy a Burke, you´ll hardly regret it, it´s a good whistle!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Can't you get a Humphrey for under $100? I've never played one but people say they like them.
Leahcim

Post by Leahcim »

I was looking at Humphrey's website. That might be a better option due to his lower prices.
But I cant find a review of his whistles anywhere, not that I'm doubting him, I just to see what the more experienced players think.

On the Burkes, what is the difference between his narrow bore and session whistes. I understand that the narrow bore has less back pressure and is quieter, but what about the session?
Irish Marine

Burke

Post by Irish Marine »

Leachim-To my knowledge, I've only heard good things about Reyburns and Sindts. I haven't played either. I've played the following high Ds: Chieftain, Burke Aluminum Session Bore w/Black tip (DASBT), Feadog Pro, Generation, tweaked Generation, Waltons Little Black, and Susato. They're all good players in their own right-after all, it's the player, not the instrument right?

I have the aluminum Burke and love it. It does have a pure sound, which I like. I find it easy to play and can't see myself getting another hi D. Why bother when this one sounds so great :)

To answer your original question: The session bore is louder than the narrow bore. I guess which one you get depends upon how you're going to use it. If you're strictly playing at home, then your significant other may appreciate the narrow bore. I use mine for sessions and playing at home, and the session bore has worked great in both places. Even the session bore is quieter than the Chieftain Mezzo D I had-now that is one LOUD whistle!
~Sean
eskin

Post by eskin »

I have both a session bore brass and narrow bore composite, the tone is distinctly different. The narrow bore is one of the sweetest sounding little whistles I've ever played, but it won't be heard very well in a session.
Craig-y-Nos

Post by Craig-y-Nos »

As several contributors have already suggested, the Burke high Ds are very nice whistles and the Burke Narrow Bore was my favourite whistle until I acquired a Reyburn Narrow Bore; I now rarely play anything else.
Both whistles cost $170, however, which is a little above your initial suggestion of $100.
In the final analysis selecting one's ideal whistle is highly subjective and personal.
Leahcim

Post by Leahcim »

Yours thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. There are so many whistles out there its hard to narrow it down to the one you want.
I prefer the softer quieter whistles, so I think I'll wait till I build up my whistle budget cache and get the burke narrow bore.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Is the Burke louder than the Sindt?

(Of course there are several burkes)

Also are you Sindt players finding the sindt
loud enough for sessions?
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »