I resolve to .....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I'm not good at resolutions, being a rather disorganized person. I would like to do the following:

1) Finally get a handle on what the heck I'm supposed to be when I grow up. Whatever it is I waste most of my life on now certainly can't be what I was put on this planet to do. I want to figure out how I can make the world a better place, while at the same time...

2) ...have more adventures.

3) Walk more. Ride my bike more. Eat more vegetables.

4) Become good at playing the flute. I feel terribly discouraged at the moment. Maybe I will never be good. In which case I should...

5) ...practice acceptance that I may not ever be good at playing the flute.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Redwolf wrote:LOL! What was that movie from back in the '80s, where the young guy finagles his way into a study tour in France, but his French is limited to "Mon crayon est large. Mon crayon est jaune" (forgive my spelling, by the way. It's been 30 years since I last read anything in French, though I was quite good at it once upon a time. I keep thinking it should be "tá mon crayon mór!").
Oh! It was a John Cusack movie, when he was miniature (as my Katherine puts it). What in the heck is the name again? Was it Better Off Dead? Sheesh..I can't remember now. :P

There was some silly cartoon on at one point that the kids were watching...they kept saying omlette de fromage over and over again after watching it. I finally asked them why on earth they kept saying "cheese omlette". They responded "Is that what it means?" :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

1. Drink no more than I did this year

2. Lose weight and walk more

3. Finish the young-adult sci-fi novel

4. Finish the catalogue of my earlier writing and get all the "lost" contributor's copies of mags and books back from my ex-wives (if they ain't burnt 'em all yet)

5. Get in 2 hrs mandolin a day and some whistle too

6. Get my boss to commit to launching the new company he claims he wants me to run (I need the extra money)

7. Enable my wife to retire

8. Re-establish contact with remote friends who I may have neglected

9. Think first, [whatever] second
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

sbfluter wrote:~snip~

1) Finally get a handle on what the heck I'm supposed to be when I grow up. Whatever it is I waste most of my life on now certainly can't be what I was put on this planet to do. ........
I'm 52, soon to be 53, and haven't figured that out yet. Please let me know how you did it when you do! :D

1. Somehow legally get enough money so I don't have to work for a living. While still keeping my health - I don't want to get $$$$$ by being in a horrible accident and collecting a large settlement while sitting in a wheelchair paralyzed.

2. Practice the whistle more. At least I don't get dying seagull sounds anymore. :)

3. Try not to let my MIL irritate me so much.

4. The ever popular lose weight.

5. Buy a new vehicle. Again, hopefully not with insurance money.

6. See if using a passport really speeds up the customs process going to and from Canada. We finally got passports this fall and now I want to go someplace!

7. Travel more. Which I would if I didn't have to work.
Charlene
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Charlene wrote:

1) Finally get a handle on what the heck I'm supposed to be when I grow up. Whatever it is I waste most of my life on now certainly can't be what I was put on this planet to do. ........
I'm 52, soon to be 53, and haven't figured that out yet. Please let me know how you did it when you do! :D
I feel so lucky that I knew what I wanted to do when I was 20. My wife is trying to figure out what to do with her life now (actually still) at 45. Taking CS graduate classes and reading an herbal medicine textbook. If nothing else, it's a nice balance, although I wish she'd play more music (started college as a flute major).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

chas wrote:Taking CS graduate classes and reading an herbal medicine textbook.
Really? Cool! Which textbook?
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Charlene wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I'm 50-- Jill of all trades-- master of none!! I'm still wondering "what should I be when I grow up?"

I think what might happen (if I set up this group for Disorganized Homeschool Moms) is that I find out that-- even with concentration and weekly support-- I'm just not skilled enough to keep so many things going. Not everybody can juggle 6 balls, a bowling pin and a chain saw.

"What should I be when I grow up?" -- Jill of some trades, master of some
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Caroluna wrote:Not everybody can juggle 6 balls, a bowling pin and a chain saw.
What? You mean you can't do that?? :o What kind of a homeschooling mother are you anyway? ;)

And I don't have to worry about what I am going to be when I grow up....I've already resolved to just never grow up, period.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Oh and I was so inspired by the many life-affirming resolves in this thread that I decided to add two to my list.

5.Get back to some of the books that formed me spiritually, and read a bit every day, even if it's just a paragraph. Back to my roots.

6. Take up bellydancing! :o ...It's something I've always wanted to do. :D

I bought a couple of Basic Bellydance DVD's yesterday... :lol:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Caroluna wrote:6. Take up bellydancing! :o ...It's something I've always wanted to do. :D

Ok...I really want to do this too. We have classes all of the time right in town, but I never have the courage to just go and sign up. You'll have to tell me how those tapes work...I may be more inclined to try to learn in the comfort (as well as privacy!) of my own home. Although, with 11 kids, the privacy aspect may be moot ;)
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Move and Be
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Well, perhaps I'll get a handle on my number one (figuring out what to do with my life). I went to the coffee place I like to go and buy an LA Times and read the whole thing on the patio in the sun. But the machine ate one of my quarters.

When I came out with another quarter a man warned me not to try again because somebody else just lost all their money. That meant if I wanted to read I would have to buy the Wendy McCaw Journal (otherwise known as the Santa Barbara News-Repressed). This is something I avoid.

Without much choice, I bought one. My lucky day because the Adult Education schedule was inside and it opened right up to a class called "Callings...Finding and Following an Authentic Life." That should be a good class. Years ago I took a full battery of career tests at the Adult Ed center and managed to change my career so perhaps another round is in order.

By the way, I'll be 43 soon. I am certain I will never figure out what I should be when I grow up, but I would like to at least not be so bored and to do something to make the world a better place without having to put up with people throwing urine at me or other things like that. In fact, if I can make the world a better place without dealing much with people at all, that would be fabulous.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

izzarina wrote:
Caroluna wrote:6. Take up bellydancing! :o ...It's something I've always wanted to do. :D

Ok...I really want to do this too. We have classes all of the time right in town, but I never have the courage to just go and sign up. You'll have to tell me how those tapes work...I may be more inclined to try to learn in the comfort (as well as privacy!) of my own home. Although, with 11 kids, the privacy aspect may be moot ;)
Once upon a time I signed up for a days worth of dance workshops. I wanted to do Cajun, Appalachian soft-shoe, and East European Circle dances. I had one choice left over, and stuck a pin in the prospectus. Ras Sharki? What's that? Okay, I'm in.

When I got there I found it was Belly Dancing, and I was the only bloke there. But at least I learned how to bellydance. No trouble with the hip drop, the hip lift or the hip wiggle. But I just couldn't do the shoulder wiggle. Something to do with centres of gravity. Now, why did I just think of that cloud formation picture? :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Now, why did I just think of that cloud formation picture? :wink:
You have clouds that bellydance, IB? Interesting..... must be a UK thing ;)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Izzy, you should go to the classes. That would have to be fun. My daughter in MD took belly dancing classes last year and loved them. She's a real fitness fanatic, although mostly weight lifting to stay in shape. She said those belly dancing classes really were a work out too. I never could persuade her to give a demonstration when she visited. Hey, you could probably get Mr Izz to buy you some fantastic outfits too. The daughter's husband was happy to buy the gear. :lol:
Appalachian soft-shoe
:-? :-? :-? I reckon that might be "flat-footin'" :-? :-?

I use to do a lot of dancing and was game for any kind of class. Ballet, Tap, Clogging, Square, Ball Room, Line, or anything else that was taught around here that I could get to. Great fun. (learnt that flatfootin' stuff at music makins)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West