Tony Bingham

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tt327
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tt327 »

Hi all:

In London this week so I made my way to Tony Bingham's shop, within walking distance of where I'm staying.

He had a pile of flutes and let me play whatever I wanted. But nothing grabbed me. Some needed a lot of repair (bad cracks, missing keys) and he was selling them "as is." None were by famous makers, though. He had an English flute c. 1840 that was probably the best of the lot, for 300 pounds, but the cross-fingered C-natural was very sharp, and the overall sound wasn't as good as my borrowed Murray (which I have admittedly left at home for fear of cracking; I'm traveling with my M&E).

There was another English flute with maker's name on it but not one I've ever heard of and can't think of now (began with a "W"). It had two head joints, for some reason. One sounded fine, the other rendered the flute unplayable for some reason. It had keys for the low C# and C. No price on it. I'm a bit curious and may go back.

If anybody has any advice, I'm here for a couple more days!

Tim
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"There was another English flute with maker's name on it but not one I've ever heard of and can't think of now (began with a "W")." Tim.

Would that be Williams. I have a Dave Williams 1840 Rudall copy that plays fine.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I have a beautiful Wolfe and Co. boxwood from 1840, refurbished by Olwell...could that be the W you saw?

Carol
tt327

Post by tt327 »

Hi all:

Sorry, neither of those Ws is ringing a bell. I'm kicking myself. I went prepared to take notes but since I didn't like any of the flutes as much as my Murray I didn't write anything down. And I probably won't go back.

Met an English guy here whose parents are Irish. He's got his father's flute, that he doesn't play. I was afraid to ask what it was! Potentially too upsetting.

Thanks for your help.

Tim
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

could be a Wylde.
If so, likely a pretty good flute worth saving since he was one of the key makers for Rudall & Rose before going off on his own.
However, he often marked his flutes as: "Wyle/from Rudall & Rose"
bluemoon24

Post by bluemoon24 »

just thought you would like to see what is on Ebay at the moment.

Maybe the flute you saw was similar to this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =928312888

Martin
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Interesting eBay flute.
Odd, though, the mark shows"Wylde/London"
but Wylde usually marked his flutes as "Wylde/from Rudall & Rose/London" so I'm not sure about this one.
Too, the foot keys are different than what Wylde normally made. However, it might be an earlier model.
Interesting nonetheless.