Embarrassed American

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sbfluter

Embarrassed American

Post by sbfluter »

Have you seen this video where an Australian guy sets out to show how stupid Americans are? It's very embarrassing even as it is funny. I didn't know North Korea was so big either. :boggle: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2U_KRpz5NY
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Ah the old "man on the street" gag. One of the funniest shticks out there. They even have made game shows based on it.
Reasonable person
Walden
Anstapa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Anstapa »

Rick Mercer, a comedian in Canada has done two shows like the Austrailian above for the CBC but don't take to hard, I think if the gag was reversed in Canada and Australia it would also be embrassing.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Anstapa wrote:Rick Mercer, a comedian in Canada has done two shows like the Austrailian above for the CBC but don't take to hard, I think if the gag was reversed in Canada and Australia it would also be embrassing.

Anstapa
Yup..if you interview people on the street all day, you're bound to run into plenty of nutters for the film, no matter where you are.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I think there is something about catching ordinary people off guard in a potentially embarrassing position in public that causes their brains to freeze up just a tad. What amazed me about Mercer's stuff was that he was in no way subtle about what he was doing. His questions were so outlandish that I suspect it just added to the stupefying effect, e.g. asking Harvard professors to sign a petition to the Prime Minister of Canada to end the practise of getting rid of old women by setting them adrift on ice floes, or going to S. Dakota and telling the tourists that a Canadian company had just bought the mining rights to Mt. Rushmore and what did they think of that? Screamingly funny at the time, but I suspect kind of hurtful once people had had a chance to reflect on what fools they had made of themselves on TV.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Isn't that sort of the premise of the recent movie "Borat" as well? I've not seen it, but the ads for it make me think so.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Canadian Comedian Rick Mercer has been doing this since the 90s.

Talking to Americans
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis