solo or group

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do yu play mostly solo or with group

always solo mostly solo
56%
sessioneer/gigger
44%

Total votes: 52

Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

solo or group

Post by Whistling Archer »

Just wondering how many here are like me and mostly play alone,, I m lucky at family gatherings,, some of my family members play inst. and we jam a little.
But for the most part , my whistle playing and other inst. playing takes place on my backporch or on my couch in the den.

But I imagine there are a lot of you who go to sessions or gigs.

just a poll for fun,, hope I do the poll thing right.

Not counting practice.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Well, I mostly practise solo, but play in a band or with friends. But since I practise, most of the time, like 2-3 hours a day and play less, I´m a little confused what to say here :-)
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Pyroh, exactly the same.
Whistling Archer

Post by Whistling Archer »

I need to think of better wording.

next year maybe , I am fixing to leave for the holidays
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Houston Steve wrote:I need to think of better wording.

next year maybe , I am fixing to leave for the holidays

''Fixen to.'' Spoken like a real Texan. :wink:
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I voted sessioneer, but in reality I practice alone more than I play sessions (every day versus every other week). I voted the way I did simply because a big reason I practice is so that when I play with others they cringe a tad less...

While I like playing tunes and practicing, I find playing with others a blast...nothing beats one of those session moments when 12 people can achieve synchronicity and create music that feels transcendent...

Eric
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

We have two sessions a month, if none of them get canceled. At the session I'm lucky if I can keep up with 60% of any tune I can play along to at all. Turns out I play maybe 10 minutes worth, maybe only 5 at any one session.

So 10 to 20 minutes a month I play with others. The rest of the time I play alone.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
arnie

Post by arnie »

I practise alone, but once a week I play in a group and sometimes we are asked to play at a fair or a party. Playing in a group is fantastic, it makes me feel alive. Playing together is making the real music for me.
Kissmedeadly

Post by Kissmedeadly »

I play a bunch of instruments in a punk rock band including whistle. So most of my time is spent with a band
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

I play with a band (we rehearse weekly) and on 4-5 sessions per month. But I still play most of the time alone (or along recordings). :D
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I practice and play alone and play with the folk group in church, so I didn't know how to vote either. I'm the only whistle and wind instrument and have only recently got to play with another wind instrument. I've never been in band and I found it a bit difficult to play in tune with another wind instrument.

it's one thing to play towards a guitar and keyboard, it's quite another to come to agreement with another wind instrument.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

Solo for me at this point since I'm just beginning (< 4 months).. but there are a number of regular sessions very close to me so when I'm capable I'll be there.
Tia

Post by Tia »

i play/practise mostly solo, but everynow and agian I play with some family, but would love to play in a large group
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Strom

Post by Strom »

Since there are no sessions close to where I live (at least none that I'm aware of) I always play and practice alone :( .
Eric
"Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere"
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I play at a couple of local Old Time jams (30 min or less drive), but the nearest session is in Winston-Salem NC, about 1-1/2 hrs away, so I put my "druthers" down.

I have mostly been just playing with my jukebox (practicing) since I have been having a poor health spell.