Measuring how much you participate... a sticky wicket

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jlunt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jlunt »

Peter Laban wrote:If you're going to keep that up better start using this one:

Excellent! Thanks Peter.

OK, perhaps now I should add something useful. My post count is low. That's not due to a lack of interest, but to a lack of confidence (no, I'm not looking for an "oh, poor guy"). This community simply has some very knowledgable contributors, and I'm far from knowledgable.

This thread has got me to considering whether I want to be an active part of this community or not. Since I certainly do value C&F, I need to suck it up and participate more. Lurking is fine, but I don't want to be the guy at the party standing quietly in the corner acting as coat rack, so I'd better step it up and participate in some discussions.

There! I've psychoanalyzed myself and laid myself bare for the entire C&F community. You don't get that kind of entertainment at other so-called forums. Now, back to the show.
Merry Blacksmith on a Feadog.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Can I get my coat back?

Susan
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

jlunt wrote:This thread has got me to considering whether I want to be an active part of this community or not. Since I certainly do value C&F, I need to suck it up and participate more. Lurking is fine, but I don't want to be the guy at the party standing quietly in the corner acting as coat rack, so I'd better step it up and participate in some discussions.
Dear lurkers: yes, suck it up and contribute. You are denying the rest of us the
opportunity to get to know you. Everyone stop whining, don't be too sensitive,
don't be afraid to make mistakes (that's how you learn), play like no one is
listening, all that crap.

And jlunt, come to session if you're in driving distance. Or if you alread do,
introduce yourself as a C&F member. I like meeting folks IRL.
drruthless

Post by drruthless »

Slowly the newbie crept out upon the thin ice.. Ever so slow with head and tail ever so low. But apparently he was not slow enough, or his head and tail not low enough.. The alphaposter whirled about and howled WHO GOES THERE!…WHO DARES come out on MY ice? … “ It’s…it’s just I”, the newbie replied, “ I…I.. wish to join the pack., may I?” JOIN THE PACK??!… OF COURSE NOT” cried the alphaposter.. You’re just a new pup! Wait until you have 7000 postings like I, or you’ve made 2000 whistles or more! Your nothing but a joker who comes across the ice from time to time. Besides your English is bad and your grammar poor! BE GONE WITH YOU! BE GONE WITH YOU NOW! but it was too late, for the new one had incurred the wrath of the great ones.. FLAME ON! cried the alphaposter…FLAME ON cried the pack..FLAME ON! and it was done…Oh the humanity, the humanity of it all! The air was still, and filled with the stench of the scorched one…..and as the newbie slowly crept away, he thought to himself “ I’ll not be joining the pack tonight .. not tonight ”…….Der Doktor ist heraus!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

JFS wrote:One day I swear I'm going to walk into session with my snare drum and a pair of brushes and turn that joint on its ear.
Nah, old news, been done
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

I will happily return your coat to you. I'll of course need the ticket and there's a five dollar fee.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Don't hesitate to post and don't be shy. That post-count entitlement thing is nonsense. What's that even supposed to mean on a message board where everyone can post how often they like and what they like? It's not like people have to ask permission to post.

Just put yourself out there, and enjoy the reactions. If you post something silly people are bound to point it out, and then you take a look at whose talking and what they're saying, and then make up your mind about it. Best way to learn, and the board is quick to forgive any insanity.
/Bloomfield
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

fearfaoin wrote:And jlunt, come to session if you're in driving distance. Or if you alread do,
introduce yourself as a C&F member. I like meeting folks IRL.
Thanks for the invite. I live out on the coast. Not so much the coast as the soybean fields and trailer parks you have to pass to get to the coast. But I'll bear that in mind next time I'm in Raleigh. Couldn't quite bring myself to play, but I'd love listen.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I find my postcount embarrassing, more than anything else. I do remember though some plonker having conversations with himself all night on the test forum just to up it. It's what you bring to it that counts more than anything else.
Last edited by Cayden on Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

What Bloo said. Yep.

And remember, a question's a contribution, too. Sure, most have been asked already, but they will continue to be asked (they weren't kidding when they called it a "search function" here :twisted: ); but who knows? Maybe you'll have a new one. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Last edited by Tommy on Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

drruthless wrote:Slowly the newbie crept out upon the thin ice.. Ever so slow with head and tail ever so low. But apparently he was not slow enough, or his head and tail not low enough.. The alphaposter whirled about and howled WHO GOES THERE!…WHO DARES come out on MY ice? … “ It’s…it’s just I”, the newbie replied, “ I…I.. wish to join the pack., may I?” JOIN THE PACK??!… OF COURSE NOT” cried the alphaposter.. You’re just a new pup! Wait until you have 7000 postings like I, or you’ve made 2000 whistles or more! Your nothing but a joker who comes across the ice from time to time. Besides your English is bad and your grammar poor! BE GONE WITH YOU! BE GONE WITH YOU NOW! but it was too late, for the new one had incurred the wrath of the great ones.. FLAME ON! cried the alphaposter…FLAME ON cried the pack..FLAME ON! and it was done…Oh the humanity, the humanity of it all! The air was still, and filled with the stench of the scorched one…..and as the newbie slowly crept away, he thought to himself “ I’ll not be joining the pack tonight .. not tonight ”…….Der Doktor ist heraus!
BOO! ;)

I agree with Peter the post count is mostly a nuisance. You can have my post count.
/Bloomfield
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Peter Laban wrote:
JFS wrote:One day I swear I'm going to walk into session with my snare drum and a pair of brushes and turn that joint on its ear.
Nah, old news, been done
Then wait till they get a load of the timpani.
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

Thanks all.

I think Bloomfield nailed it - don't be shy. I've found everyone here very reasonable. If I say something stupid, I'll be stomped. That's as it should be. If I make a joke and it bombs, people will say "huh?" and there will be some sarcastic responses that I'll wish I'd have thought of. And in all of it, life will go on. And it's true that post count isn't exactly the issue. But to be part of a community, you've got to contribute. So I will.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »