Investigative Report: Hotel glassware

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Investigative Report: Hotel glassware

Post by peeplj »

Folks, this is just disgusting:

http://clipsyndicate.com/publish/video/438812?cpt=3

I am happy to report that almost all the rooms I've stayed in haven't had glassware; they've had sealed plastic drinking cups.

After watching this video, if there were real glasses in a room, I don't think I'd dare use them. :moreevil:

What's really surprising about this report is it shows the same disgusting practices going on in a really exclusive, expensive hotel. For the kind of money you'd spend to stay there, you'd think they could use the damn dish washer. :swear:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Yeah, that's ick.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Ew! And also, ew.

And my wife always yells at me for putting my mouth under
the faucet and drinking straight from the stream...
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Someone I know reports that his high school science class did cultures on holy water in Catholic churches. People dip their fingers in, you know, coming in and out of Mass. You can probably guess how it turned out. Not well. Not well at all. I'm thinking they ought to put squeeze bottles of Holy Alcohol-Based Anti-bacterial Hand Gel next to those holy water basins.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Dale wrote:I'm thinking they ought to put squeeze bottles of Holy Alcohol-Based Anti-bacterial Hand Gel next to those holy water basins.
Hm. Puts the common communion cup into perspective...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

fearfaoin wrote:
Dale wrote:I'm thinking they ought to put squeeze bottles of Holy Alcohol-Based Anti-bacterial Hand Gel next to those holy water basins.
Actually I wouldn't worry about that too much...if you use real wine, wouldn't the alcohol tend to disinfect the cup "on the fly," so to speak?

Or is the alcohol concentration high enough to do that?

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

peeplj wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:
Actually I wouldn't worry about that too much...if you use real wine, wouldn't the alcohol tend to disinfect the cup "on the fly," so to speak?

Or is the alcohol concentration high enough to do that?

--James
It's a good question that gets batted around a good bit. A good number of people avoid the common communion cup for fear of cooties. In the Catholic Church, the usual procedure is that after a person takes from the cup, the minister wipes the cup rim with a clean cloth rotates it about 90 degrees and the next person goes, and so on. Some people do talk about the alcohol having an disinfecting tendency. Who knows?

I figure, though, it's hard to get through a day without getting a face full of infectious stuff.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Dale wrote:I figure, though, it's hard to get through a day without getting a face full of infectious stuff.
Good point, sir, and I'm not sure you'd want to avoid all the germs even if you could.

Let your immune system get nice and weak, then get exposed to something real, and you have worse troubles than cooties from the Cup.

--James

-------
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

No no; anti-bacterial soaps are a major cause of drug-resistant bacteria, etc--up here, the health authority is running an advertising campaign to get people to STOP using such products.

A few capfuls of bleach is what you need.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Well, you can always wash the glasses in the sink with soap and water before you use them. This would probably be better for the environment than plastic. And you know, somebody had to touch the plastic wrapping.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

sbfluter wrote:Well, you can always wash the glasses in the sink with soap and water before you use them. This would probably be better for the environment than plastic. And you know, somebody had to touch the plastic wrapping.
Makes sense.

Of course, I've never yet have a hotel give me the choice--but if they do, I think carrying a bit of detergent with you and washing the glasses yourself is A-OK. :)

--James

-------
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

America's favorite pasttime: fear of bacteria (and viruses).
/Bloomfield
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

s1m0n wrote:A few capfuls of bleach is what you need.
What vintage?

If I can't have wine, I think I'll just do without. Bleach is probably an acquired taste...

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Ah ha! I knew it!

Not so very long ago, I shared my hotel sanitation practices with you and was MOCKED!

Yes, I am proud to say that I wash hotel glasses before using them.

Signed,

Herpes-free and Staying That Way
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The wine's fine. Don't worry.

There's no way I'm drinking from a hotel cup- and I didn't even watch the video.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West