If I wanted a Tester

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cyfiawnder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cyfiawnder »

If I wanted to send one of my Whistles to somebody to test them, who would be the Best Person to send one to? And What would be the best Key to Send? Should I just keep it playable? Or Make it Playble and Pretty too?
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Me.

Now, seriously, if you are prepared for an honest but candid opinion (that you might not like), there is a lot of respect around here for Loren's ear and for his experience in these matters. As I understand it, he's tried lots of different whistles and that would be a very important qualification to insist on.

Obviously you'd have to ask him directly first.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I second Wombat's suggestion of Loren, however you need to ask and confer with him. Only he can speak to how much time he has to devote to such a project. I personally have found him to be knowledgeable and helpful. His suggestion helped me to purchase a very good whistle (thanks again, Loren). Another very good suggestion would be The Undisputed (Mr. Wisely himself). Remember though, that personal tastes differ. Good key(s) to send: soprano D, Bb and low F. And, yes, a whistle should be visually appealing as well as playable.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

So uh how do I get in contact with these Jolly Fellows?
serpent

Post by serpent »

Yep, Loren would be a good guy for that, however, he's in the middle of a move right now, so if you want quick action, you might want to choose an alternate or two in case he hasn't sufficient time. My own choices lean toward Paul Busman (BrewerPaul), JessieK, Walden, Azalin, and Tyghress. Azalin is a phenomenal player, and would IMO give your whistle(s) a good workout.

Best wishes,
Bill Whedon
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Ya hear that, Az? You're making a name for yourself! So, when's the CD come out, eh?
:lol:
Chris
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-11-19 00:42, Cyfiawnder wrote:
So uh how do I get in contact with these Jolly Fellows?
When the Forum board comes up there is an option marked [members list] in the top right hand corner of your screen. Click on 'user name' to get the members in aphabetical order, choose your target and then click on 'mail' to email them off board. You can contact any of us privately that way.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

Hey! -Don't forget peeplj,- literate, precise,
careful with words-with proven whistle/flute reviewin'skills.

Post by Guest »

On 2002-11-18 22:38, Cyfiawnder wrote:
If I wanted to send one of my Whistles to somebody to test them, who would be the Best Person to send one to? And What would be the best Key to Send? Should I just keep it playable? Or Make it Playble and Pretty too?
If you realy want a true review of your whistles, then send one to me! Lorens a bit of a non starter. As I have been making whistles for years and years I should be able to review one.
A pretty Low D is the one for me.:wink:
Wizzy
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I would have it evaluated by someone who loves to play the whistle, is an accomplished musician, and is more interested in the music than the whistle itself.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Also keep in mind geographic location - you didn't fill out your location so we don't know what country you're in. That could make a difference as well, in time and money spent transporting the whistle.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I'd say, go for Dale.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I always love playing new whistles, but I'm just starting in the comparative, contrasting, what works for me sort of thing, only soprano D's (not enough experience with anything else to matter).

Pretty much anyone who's ever posted an opinion that talks to good and bad points, who has a wide variety of whistles of different materials, styles and prices.

If you have an email friendship with anyone on the board, you may want to start with them, as they'll have a good idea of what your goals are.

But lets ask this...are you planning on making whistles for sale, or for your own benefit? Do you care if they're perfectly in tune, or pure in tone, or chiffy? Or are you simply delighted in a new skill and want to share? All of this is fine, one way or the other, but if you're looking to sell an instrument, you want someone to be fairly honest about its quality. If you're just looking to share in your new found hobby, any friendly face will do!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe

Post by Guest »

On 2002-11-19 03:34, Ridseard wrote:
I would have it evaluated by someone who loves to play the whistle, is an accomplished musician, and is more interested in the music than the whistle itself.
Who says That I can,t play Whistle!
:roll:
wizzy
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Pass the whistle to Dale. Least someone sticks his neck to publicly challenge him as The undisputed King……… :roll:

He's the one who got you posting this thread, and all of us to listen...

So, if/when Dale needs cross-expertise, he'll delegate at will.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2002-11-19 13:19 ]</font>