Not possible to eat.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In one of the standard Vegetarian Recipe books - Rose Elliot, maybe, I can't recall - near the back there is a recipe for banana and tomato casserole.

I looked at this for a long time, and decided that it was such an unlikely combination it had to taste better than it sounded.

It didn't.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Sounds like one of Mrs. Cropley's recipes (The Vicar of Dibley series) :lol: :lol:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

djm wrote:
And then people started to detect a slight greenish cast to the snow. And what were these little green specks all over everything? It turns out she had never heard of cream of tartar, and had bought tartar sauce for the icing snow, instead.
LOL! Now I know why "tartar sauce" is the standard swear word on Spongebob.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

chrisoff wrote:I made chili the other week and didn't notice until I opened the can that the beans I bought were with chili sauce. By which point I'd already added considerable amounts of chili flakes into the pot. So I gave them a good rinse, trying to get the sauce off them, and threw them in anyway.

Hottest chili ever.

Not inedible but it made me sweat a hell of a lot.
People in Scotland makin' chili. Cool.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Thanks for the laugh about the tartar sauce gingerbread house! :lol:

I've made a lot of experiments that were bad enough to wish them never to darken our tonsils again, but none truly inedible, especially to the point of humor. I guess I'll have to work on that. :twisted:

However, one of my good-for-a-smile kitchen memories is of my older sister making frosting (probably for a cake) when we were kids. (I was probably "helping" by standing by to lick the beater if possible! :D ) My sister wasn't using a recipe -- who needs a recipe for frosting? She just put in a chunk of soft butter & some powdered sugar, then added some milk, then a little more sugar to thicken it because it was too runny, then some more milk to thin it because it was too thick . . . We had one of those big KitchenAid mixers, with a bowl that probably holds a gallon, and my dad always bought stuff in bulk so we had no risk of running out of powdered sugar. I think we ended up with at least 3 quarts of frosting. :o I can't remember what we did with it all.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I can now assert with confidence that you should take those little paper things off the cheese slices before making a grilled cheese sandwich.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

And if you are baking a quiche with a ready-made pie crust, don't forget to take the paper liner out of the pie shell first....

M
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

And sometimes when you put a pizza in the oven, the plastic stiffener disk underneath sneaks in as well.

But on the plus side, if you find indoor fireworks difficult to get hold of, just put one of those foil container ready-meals in the microwave.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

A couple years back I decided that I wanted to make some popcorn, I cannot remember if

A) It was before we owned an air popper.
B) I wanted to make more than what the air popper could and decided to make it in that pan
OR
C) tried to find a way to make the heritage popcorn that was too small to properly pop in the air popper,

but the end result was about half way through the popping, the cast iron pan was filled with popcorn. Being cast iron, you cannot just turn off the heat and expect it to stop popping the corn, on the other hand, you cannot leave the lid on, or the popcorn will start burning. So as quickly as I could I tried to pour the popcorn into bowl. It was like opening a box of grasshoppers, pieces of popping corn flying everywhere. My wife got a good laugh out of it.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

A couple of years ago I went to defrost a bagel. I microwaved it for a minute and it was still frozen. Two more minutes, still frozen. Three more minutes, still frozen. About two more minutes later (I put it in for four more minutes) if caught fire. Completely burned.

Then there was the time I went to toast a bagel and put it in the toaster oven on a styrofoam plate. I was about eight. I also put a porcelain plate in once.

What lesson did I learn? Me + bagel = FIRE! and melted plate.