Not possible to eat.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Not possible to eat.

Post by I.D.10-t »

pastorkeith wrote:
Lambchop wrote:I have turned out stuff even birds wouldn't peck at.
I over fed the sourdough starter that lived in my fridge once...just once.
(You don't do that twice and stay happily married)
:oops:
pastorkeith
These comments reminded me of certain mistakes or experiments that were not inedible. Personally, I think that If you have not made something horrible, you haven't experimented enough or cooked enough.

For me, I had a package of soft cheese that could be squeezed from a package (from an MRE) I tried to make mac&cheese with it. At the time I was pretty good at being able to eat anything, often taking my mind off of the flavor by directing why I did not like it. Slowly roiling over the texture, flavor, smell, and other small points. I could not get past two spoon fulls.

My old boss talked about the first time he tried to cook something for his wife. I didn't add backing powder and made hockey pucks. His wife told him that they were so tough that a .22 round couldn't go through it. She took the “muffins” out back and proved herself right.

Any good stories of failing in the kitchen?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
seisflutes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by seisflutes »

Does it count if I was five or six years old at the time? I once made an intensely horrible banana and cream of tarter pie. I used the entire jar of cream of tarter. My parents couldn't even pretend it was okay...
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

My teenage sister, learning to cook in a home where garlic was not usually eaten, tried to put together a tasty lasagna for her boyfriend. The recipe called for two cloves of garlic, which she mistakenly interpreted to mean two heads of garlic.

The good news is that my Mom received a head start on her wallpaper replacement project.

Jef
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My mother in law let someone hunt on her property a few years ago, and the guy gave her a bunch of deer meat; she gave some to us. Evidently the guy hunted with dogs, so the deer had been run for some time before he shot it. I made a stew from it. It was awful. I made chili, really strongly flavored chili, from that; it was still inedible. Evidently when the deer is scared, stressed, and tired when it dies, the meat tastes like sh*t. That was one of very few things I've ever made that was truly inedible, not counting things that were just too hot. (In the Indian grocery, "chilli powder" doesn't mean the same thing it does to most Americans.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

chas wrote:My mother in law let someone hunt on her property a few years ago, and the guy gave her a bunch of deer meat; she gave some to us. Evidently the guy hunted with dogs, so the deer had been run for some time before he shot it. I made a stew from it. It was awful. I made chili, really strongly flavored chili, from that; it was still inedible. Evidently when the deer is scared, stressed, and tired when it dies, the meat tastes like sh*t. That was one of very few things I've ever made that was truly inedible, not counting things that were just too hot. (In the Indian grocery, "chilli powder" doesn't mean the same thing it does to most Americans.)
I don't hunt, but yeah, from my understanding, to have edible deer meat, you need to not scare or startle the animal, and you need a quick, clean kill.

I've had venison that was wonderful. Unfortunately, I've also had venison shot by someone who didn't know what he was doing, and yes, it was horrible--you couldn't eat it.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

When I was 12 I made a cake. I misread the recipe and put in a cup of salt. Fortunately I taste tested the batter before pouring it into the pan.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I made chili the other week and didn't notice until I opened the can that the beans I bought were with chili sauce. By which point I'd already added considerable amounts of chili flakes into the pot. So I gave them a good rinse, trying to get the sauce off them, and threw them in anyway.

Hottest chili ever.

Not inedible but it made me sweat a hell of a lot.
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

peeplj wrote:
chas wrote:... Evidently when the deer is scared, stressed, and tired when it dies, the meat tastes like sh*t. ...
I don't hunt, but yeah, from my understanding, to have edible deer meat, you need to not scare or startle the animal, and you need a quick, clean kill.
I'm no hunter either, but have friends who are;
But that telltale "gamey" flavor is adrenaline.
I prefer chili powder.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Speaking of cookies ...

My mother used to (note past tense) make the best chocolate chip cookies ever. They were legendary, and my friends would come from all over when they heard she was baking.

Fast forward 25 years or more, and my mother has succumbed to 'healthier' ingredient replacement. She no longer cooks with butter or real salt, and who knows if the chocolate morsels she uses now even contain any real sugar - or cocoa, for that matter.

Let's just say the batch of cookies she sent back from Florida this summer with my daughter were beyond inedible. In fact, they were so hard, we used them for castors under our furniture legs to protect our hardwood floors. (Hyperbole, of course, but you get my point, I'm sure)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

When I was a kid, I accidentally forgot to put the white sugar in a batch of chocolate chip cookies. But they were delicious! We called them diet chocolate chip cookies. Probably explains why I was a fat kid.

Mostly my inedible creations were perfectly edible but I didn't know before hand the idiosyncratic tastes of the person I served it too. Parsley will never darken our doorstep again.

Has anybody ever tried Durian? I looked that up on Wikipedia and now I'm quite curious in a creeped out sort of way.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

Some years back, it was my bro-in-law's mother's turn to make the pecan pies for Christmas. She was notorious for the ability to totally screw up any dish, so were were all hoping for the best.

When dinner was over, and it was time to stick our snouts in the dessert trough, we learned very quickly that the pecan pies were made not with corn syrup, (because she didn't have any on hand) but with sorghum molasses. Needless to say, they were just plain nasty, much less edible. Much like you'd imagine a pie made of creosote!

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
djm

Post by djm »

An older lady in one of the offices I once worked in was notorious for <s>fuc</s>...<s>frig</s>...messing up recipes. She bought a gingerbread house kit one Christmas. All the ingredients were included. What could go wrong?

Well, she read the instructions, noticed that it mentioned cream of tartar for making the icing snow, but that there wasn't any in the kit. Must have been missed, right? So she's off to the grocery store to get some, and then came home and completed the kit.

When she brought the completed house in to the office, everyone was amazed at how well it had turned out, and congratulated her on it. She was glowing. There was the house, looking like real gingerbread, and it sat on a board covered with icing snow, and there was icing snow on the little picket fence in front of the house, and great gobs more of it on the gingerbread roof. All sorts of hard candies in many colours and sizes were stuck all over the place in the icing snow, glowing like jewels.

And then people started to detect a slight greenish cast to the snow. And what were these little green specks all over everything? It turns out she had never heard of cream of tartar, and had bought tartar sauce for the icing snow, instead.

I can't remember if I've told that one here before, but it is still one of my favourite xmas cooking f-up stories. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A grape jelly soufflé. Try it sometime; you'll see why it wasn't a good idea.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

djm wrote: I can't remember if I've told that one here before, but it is still one of my favourite xmas cooking f-up stories. :D

djm
Very good. Got a laugh out of me.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm