Very cool: Indian scientists trap and store light

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Very cool: Indian scientists trap and store light

Post by peeplj »

This is very cool...what's even cooler is they are not sure how it works yet.

Scientists at the Bhavnagar University in Gujarat, India have managed to store lightin a fluid filled with extremely small magnetic spheres.

The immediate implication for optical computing is cool enough in its own right, but I think even cooler is that they did it by accident and can't fully explain it yet.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

"The light is within."

"Then let it out!"
Reasonable person
Walden
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

More Cold Fusion?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Ronbo wrote:More Cold Fusion?
Remains to be seen, of course, but I would think it shouldn't be too hard to duplicate the experiment.

Also that they claim they weren't expecting it, and that they don't claim they know how to explain it seems to lend them some veracity.

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

peeplj wrote:
Ronbo wrote:More Cold Fusion?
Remains to be seen, of course, but I would think it shouldn't be too hard to duplicate the experiment.

Also that they claim they weren't expecting it, and that they don't claim they know how to explain it seems to lend them some veracity.

--James
Possibly true, but (Devil's advocate) if you were scamming, then giving bogus details of how you did it would hasten discovery when people tried to reproduce. "Dunno how it happened, but we did it" leaves you more margin. :D

Edit: That doesn't read right, but I'll leave it as is. I know they told what they did, but if it were a hoax, it'd hasted the end to explain the principles. Failure to reproduce when the principles are "unknown" could be down to variation in experimantal conditions. , etc.

No reason to think its not genuine.

Still trying to get my head around the applications.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Still trying to get my head around the applications.
I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around the implications.

We know that the speed of light is a constant, c, from any perspective.

Scientists have done things with light before that appear to violate c, but there is always some element of "this isn't what it appears to be" involved.

If you can actually catch and hold the photons themselves, as light, and release them later, as light, unless you are continually bouncing them around between something (and that may actually be it), then you would appear to violate c, and that means there is something we've overlooked, something we don't understand.

And that could be wonderful news. :) Such a discovery could be the key that might even unlock a working Universal Field Theory...the "Holy Grail" of physics.

--James

-------
djm

Post by djm »

Wasn't it only a year or two ago that scientists were able to slow light down passing it through heavy water?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Very cool: Indian scientists trap and store light

Post by Tyler »

peeplj wrote:This is very cool...what's even cooler is they are not sure how it works yet.

Scientists at the Bhavnagar University in Gujarat, India have managed to store lightin a fluid filled with extremely small magnetic spheres.

The immediate implication for optical computing is cool enough in its own right, but I think even cooler is that they did it by accident and can't fully explain it yet.

--James
The light of Earendil?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Now if they could only learn how to save time in a bottle.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
drruthless

Post by drruthless »

Ah… that’s nothing.. Native Americans have been carrying around the spirits of their history and ancestors in stone since they first walked on this earth.. .. Someday pickup a small stone or rock that catches your eye and gaze at it for a bit.. or let it look at you. The longer you hold it the better.. Pretty soon don’t be surprised if you don’t start seeing things you never noticed before. Some cultures and religions believe that spirits dwell in all things of the earth.. The first ones knew that as just as a matter of fact….go ask an Indian….Der Doktor ist heraus!

Post by The Weekenders »

hmm....photons in a bottle.

How about in a torpedo???
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

The Weekenders wrote:hmm....photons in a bottle.

How about in a torpedo???
Ppphfffff!! That's SO 1966! :wink:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

"Dunno how we did it but we did it" sounds like my customers, some of whom are Indian. It's swiftly followed by

"Can you fix it?"
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!