Jodie Foster comes out

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

The Weekenders wrote:Out of business??? The WWN??? No more Ed Anger, who was "pig-bitin' mad" at all the liberal loonies????
I just found out too on Wikipedia. No wonder I hadn't seen them in stores lately.
Many is the time I've laughed my way along the checkout line.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Jodie Foster comes out

Post by Wanderer »

Lambchop wrote:
Wanderer wrote: My first thought was "really, did anyone not already know?"
My first thought was "really, who the heck would care?"
Yeah, my second thought was pretty similar...("Whatever" <turning to next news item>)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

But, what will all the would-be presidential assassins do now???? Does this change their mandate? Do they have to target Rosie O'Dumbell or Ellen now???
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Well, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinck ... omebody</a> has egg on their face right about now.

[Edit: Darn, should have read Weekenders post closer]
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

beowulf573 wrote:Well, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinck ... omebody</a> has egg on their face right about now.

[Edit: Darn, should have read Weekenders post closer]
Your fine. You can't have enough Hinkley jokes. Especially during the holiday season.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

At no point did Foster say she was gay during the speech or refer to Cydney as a lover. I can't believe how many news organizations, including just seeing it on CNN, are claiming she is claiming to be gay. You can report that she alluded to being a lesbian, but references like this could be a friend talking about a friend or a family member.

Jeff, Seattle, WA

I suppose one reason people don't 'come out' is fear of what
it may do to them at the boxoffice.

Especially a leading man, a heart throb for many women.
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Re: Jodie Foster comes out

Post by jkwest »

Cranberry wrote:The most interesting part of this story (to me) is the first comment left at the bottom of the page.
Why?

The guy is just saying that he has always had a crush on Jodie Foster..
and saying that even though he is married and has child(ren), he still has a deep infatuation for her...

Kind of like when my wife says to me, "Jake, I love you, but, if Bradd Pitt asked me to run away with him, you've got the kids!"

My reply is always, "Make sure he brings Angelina with him...I'm gonna need some company."

Ho hum..

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Flyingcursor wrote: Your fine. You can't have enough Hinkley jokes. Especially during the holiday season.
It's a fine tradition; sit around the fire, snuggle up close, and tell stories of attempted presidential assassinations.

I'm sorry I didn't keep in touch with one friend from high school. Back in the early eighties, she had a huge crush on George Michael. Every once in a while I would casually mention, "You know he's gay, right?" and she'd get upset and declare "No he's not!!!". I imagine she ran home, put on her CHOOSE LIFE t-shirt and declared her undying love to all the posters in her bedroom. Good times.

I was sorely tempted when he officially came out to dig up her number and give her a "ha-ha" phone call, but never did. I assumed she'd just bring up my predilection towards dressing up like Doctor Who and going to sci-fi conventions. And then she would remind that while yes, she did have a crush on a gay pop star in high school, she had in fact dated while I on the other hand, well, dressed up like Doctor Who and went to sci-fi conventions.

I imagine my life will be much the same tomorrow as yesterday despite knowing Ms. Foster is officially gay. It's not like she was going to sleep with me were she straight. I do wish she would do another movie with David Fincher though.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Interesting thing I had noted about her career is that she rarely ever takes a role involving a romantic relationship. Her sexual orientation has been a matter of speculation for a long time, partly because she's been pretty successful in maintaining privacy about it.

Can't think of an American actress I admire more. Pretty consistently good selection of films to appear in. Just strikes me as a really intelligent artist.

I was really fascinated by the movie "Contact." The "special features" and commentaries on the DVD are fabulous. I thought the movie was flawed in a number of ways, including the sequencing of everything that happened after her ride in the transport pod. But, it was a good try.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Dale wrote:

Can't think of an American actress I admire more. Pretty consistently good selection of films to appear in. Just strikes me as a really intelligent artist.
Wholeheartedly agreed. Good for her, I say, but if she ever changes her mind, I am still available...[Sigh...]
djm

Post by djm »

I blame it all on Sebastian Cabot. He must have traumatized her for life.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Dale wrote:Interesting thing I had noted about her career is that she rarely ever takes a role involving a romantic relationship. .
One of her weaknesses, critics have said, is that she has
trouble persuasively doing romantic scenes/love scenes.

I suppose part of her staying power is that she isn't a
romantic lead. She's allowed to get old. One of the few
major women in Hollywood who has made it as a
character actor.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

jim stone wrote:
Dale wrote:Interesting thing I had noted about her career is that she rarely ever takes a role involving a romantic relationship. .
One of her weaknesses, critics have said, is that she has
trouble persuasively doing romantic scenes/love scenes.
Maybe it's because she's gay.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Dale wrote: Can't think of an American actress I admire more. Pretty consistently good selection of films to appear in. Just strikes me as a really intelligent artist.
I agree 100%.

As for her coming out, I'm with Wanderer -- since I don't know a damn thing about George Michael, though, I'd compare it to Janis Ian coming out in the early 90's, about 15 years after it was an open secret that she was lesbian.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote:Found the answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_Boy

WWN is apparently no longer in print.
Welcome to 2007! :wink: :P :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown