another fingering

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tia

another fingering

Post by Tia »

I just got a meg today..yay...in C, and the B flat sounds a little weird, so I'm using the fingering if I was playing a D, so xoxxxo, annd also oooxxo, and neither of them are sounding right, any ideas on another way to play this? or fix it ??
thanks
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

oxxxox
oxxooo
oxxxxo
oxoxxx
oxxxoo
hooooo

Fipple on left. h=halfhole.
/Bloomfield
TC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TC »

Hi
Glad you like your whistle. Always fun to have something new to play.
I think the fingering you're after is more like OXX OOO or maybe try just with one finger OOX OOO. Also possible to half-hole the highest hole on the whistle. Play everything open (B) then cover the hole a bit at a time to flatten until it gets in tune. Cross fingering may work as well, something like OXXXOX. Enough suggestions?
I've been experimenting a good bit with different C fingerings on different D whistles lately. I've discovered that things will be in tune on some and not others, and some fingerings don't work with certain tunes. Not vey scientific I'm afraid. Oh, and I've had a very experienced player tell me one time that if it's not working you just need to "think" the note into tune. Still trying to get my head around that one.....
TC

and yes try all of Bloom's suggestions :D
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Also, if you're talking to another whistler, piper, or flute player, try refering to the notes on your whistle as you would the notes on a key of D whistle. Even if you have in your hands an E, G, A, Bb, whatever key. So if you're describing how your bottom Bb plays on your Bb whistle, you say "bottom D". In ITM circles, this is usually better practice as key of D is the most commonly used key, even if your "B-flat on your C whistle" isn't actually a C natural...

I don't know how this would apply to stringed instruments as I don't play a stringed instrument, (fiddle, banjo, mando) but whistle, pipes, and flute definitely.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Tia

Post by Tia »

Key_of_D wrote:Also, if you're talking to another whistler, piper, or flute player, try refering to the notes on your whistle as you would the notes on a key of D whistle. Even if you have in your hands an E, G, A, Bb, whatever key. So if you're describing how your bottom Bb plays on your Bb whistle, you say "bottom D". In ITM circles, this is usually better practice as key of D is the most commonly used key, even if your "B-flat on your C whistle" isn't actually a C natural...

I don't know how this would apply to stringed instruments as I don't play a stringed instrument, (fiddle, banjo, mando) but whistle, pipes, and flute definitely.
ok, I wasnt sure whether I should refer to it as a D or a C, I guess D is more common, but i wanted to be more correct? wasnt sure if it would help either way, but now I know, thanks

and thanks for the fingurings, I'll just keep working away at it
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

ok, I wasnt sure whether I should refer to it as a D or a C, I guess D is more common, but i wanted to be more correct? wasnt sure if it would help either way, but now I know, thanks
Well depending on who you play with, and what music you're playing with them, (ITM or I guess classical) you're right on both accounts. Technically, oxxooo (or whichever fingering you use for C natural) is Bb on a C whistle, that is correct. Some silly pipers came up with the idea that even if you're playing a B set of pipes, you'd still refer to the bottom note of your chanter (which on B set would of course be B) as Bottom D, and so on and so forth... This rule of thumb could easily very well be used for whistles and flutes, although yes there are flutes and whistle that have an "extra" note below the bell note. So I guess it depends on who you're talking to.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Also, this isn't to say that knowing the actual notes of all the other keys of whistles isn't useful, I was just for the viewpoint of ITM musicians. The more knowledge the better! :)
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Hey Key_of_D,
I use a similar sort of system for describing chord patterns, when using a capo on guitar, no matter where the capo is placed I call the chord by it's shape not what key it is in.
If I have a capo on the second fret of my guitar I have now got the instrument in F tuning. I would call a Bm chord as an Am because I am playing an E tuning Am shape using the capo as the nut. The same rule applies with a B chord, I would call it an A. An F#m would then be an Em.
It is a very simple rule for me because I learned to play guitar to ITM and had no need to go any further than bar chords at the second fret. Once I started to play with people who sang I had to be able to tell other stringed instrument players what I was playing. Considering I had no idea what key I was in futher up the fret board, the system my friend and I worked out was the best way to go. Make sense?
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Tia: Mostly, I do this fingering oxxxxo, or just half-holing.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

But when you say the C natural (sounding pitch B flat) is "weird" do you mean that it's too flat, or too sharp, or in tune but has an odd tone quality? Knowing what the problem is will allow people to suggest an appropriate fix.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Pyroh I'm not sure which whistle you use, but I've almost 100% of the time found oxxxxo to be way flat, and weak! Which whistle do you play this on? :)
Tia

Post by Tia »

pancelticpiper wrote:But when you say the C natural (sounding pitch B flat) is "weird" do you mean that it's too flat, or too sharp, or in tune but has an odd tone quality? Knowing what the problem is will allow people to suggest an appropriate fix.
i;m not exactly sure, if I use the finguring oxxxxo going up startgin on a 'G' if on a D whistle then it sounds ok..but then going down the scale its off, I'm trying to figure out which but its just weird...I think it may be too sharp because the more fingers I add the flater it goes which makes it sound better, I dont know ,I'll just keep playing around with it for a while