CP: New Folk Flute Model

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CP: New Folk Flute Model

Post by Casey Burns »

I am pleased to announce the new version of my popular Folk Flute in D. The new model is 3 piece in European Boxwood and now costs $375. For more information please visit www.folkflutes.com If you get the old page featuring the Mopane version, refresh your browser to see the new page.

This is only available through me directly or through Grey Larsen and his website, as a courtesy to his students. This flute is not available in any retail stores.

The former Mopane Folk Flute model is discontinued so that I can conserve what Mopane I have (and what additional Mopane I can get my hands on) for my more expensive flutes.

The new Folk Flute version features a middle and lower joint. These can be rotationally offset for additional hand comfort compared with my two piece versions.

I will be posting additional info and better photographs to the Folk Flute website in the next few months. But the search for a "new" wood is done and the design has been only slightly modified. Acoustically, it is the same great flute!

Everyone have a great week!

(Note - the bug that was causing my Folk Flute page to display incorrectly in Internet Explorer 6 has been fixed.)

Casey Burns
www.folkflutes.com
Last edited by Casey Burns on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Looks great Casey! :boggle:
I wish there was something like this when I first was looking for a Irish flute.
Keep up the good work!
Jon
Last edited by Jon C. on Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Here are some boxwood photos at higher resolution than on my Folk Flute page:

www.caseyburnsflutes.com/misc/FFproto.jpg

This was a prototype made to test this new concept and to get some photos up.

www.caseyburnsflutes.com/misc/4wc.jpg

I couldn't resist posting pictures of this one. It is a 4 way low combo in low A, Bb, B and C. First 4 way in boxwood. Note that the B upper middle uses the lower half of the Bb body.

Casey
Last edited by Casey Burns on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Wow, that is awesome. And it looks so lovely, too. I like the new stamp you put on and the lovely shape.

I gotta say, as a boxwood owner, that I look fabulous playing a boxwood flute. It goes so well with my hair color and all. If I didn't already have both a folk flute and a boxwood flute I would want the new folk flute.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

sbfluter wrote:...I like the new stamp you put on...
Me too! Very nice.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

oh gee. very nice
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D yep! nice stamp
I like the three piece
Boxwood should sound nice

but, I'm not sure about my hair.... :wink:
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Few things in this world sound lovelier than anything by Casey in boxwood.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
daiv

Post by daiv »

Casey Burns wrote: www.caseyburnsflutes.com/misc/4wc.jpg

I couldn't resist posting pictures of this one. It is a 4 way low combo in low A, Bb, B and C. First 4 way in boxwood. Note that the B upper middle uses the lower half of the Bb body.

Casey

hey, how about a one way combo on the house? i dont need four, one's just fine for me.... :lol:
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Wow Casey - that's a nice starter flute...and at a great price. Is European boxwood just standard boxwood?

You know, Kansas City is a huge test market for products - being considered kind of average in everything...I'm kind of average myself, and am willing to volunteer to test drive one for you. :lol:

Eric
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

There are a number of things referred to as Boxwood but what I am using is Buxus sempivirens, usually called <put name country of origin here> Boxwood. There is some growing here at my neighbor's and there was a bunch in the Queen's Topiary that was destroyed by a big wind in 1987. I have some of each as well as boxwood from France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Portland Oregon and from Nordstrom's parking lot in Seattle.

Thai Boxwood is also very nice and I have a few logs of that. Its actually a little harder. Doug Steinke made all of his baroque oboes from that wood until he passed away and his wood pile got resold and I got some. Not a true boxwood but it may as well be.

There are many other things referred to as Boxwood that I have yet to investigate. There is one from South Africa. Venezuelan Boxwood is about half the density.

Casey
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Thanks Casey - I'd heard of boxwoods from different areas and always wondered if they were the same species.

Eric
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Hi all the low combo are (I think) on their way to me here in Lanzarote the Canary Islands. Thanks for posting the pic casey. Now I really can´t stand the waiting. Casey if you see this could you email or pm me the label tracking number or the receipt number so I can track the post I can´t seem to find it in any of our emails and maybe my emails to you are getting lost again. I will post some pics when they arrive. Now you have me tempted to order a folk flute just to match things up in my ever growing flute collection Cheers Patrick
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Flutes arrived today. in a word speechless. I would never post untill I´ve gotten to know them well but I will post some pics, Cheers Casey, Patrick
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Flutes arrived today. in a word speechless. I would never post untill I´ve gotten to know them well but I will post some pics, Cheers Casey, Patrick