Help for Haiti Babies.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

TheSpoonMan wrote: I agree with djm that each person should give to what they like, so if having a "board cause" would hamper that freedom, or create an atmosphere where it wants to be hampered, that's wrong.
Not at all. Jim was just expressing his feelings about the worthiness of Doc's work, and making a recommendation. With this, as with any of the other efforts which have had Board support (such as the raffles and such I alluded to,) participation is strictly a personal choice, and besides...who would know?

So, don't worry about it.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I think it would be nice if we could keep this a positive thread, as it was certainly started in that vein. Those of you with problems with the thread or its topic, I might suggest that you PM Doc personally or keep your thoughts to yourself. There's no need to turn this into something ugly. It's a beautiful time of year when people seem to feel particularly soft-hearted. I personally give to a couple of different types of charities, as I'm sure many of you do. We can all help a little bit in many different ways--there's no need to frown on anyone's choice.

:)

Susan
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

TheSpoonMan wrote:
djm wrote:
Steamwalker wrote: Not sure why someone would post to a thread about a charity to say that they don't support the charity. Keep it to yourself, bub.
It's easy to quote a statement and take it out of context. The gutter press does it all the time.

I have no objection to anyone bringing up their pet charities here at C&F. A thread dedicated to that charity is a fine idea, as far as I'm concerned. I simply object to others telling me what charities I am to give to, as was suggested above, i.e. that everyone on C&F should make Doc Jones' personal choice of charity our own. Note that Doc Jones did not, himself, make this suggestion.

I may or may not choose to give to Doc Jones' personal choice for a charity. That is my business and my concern, and not something to be preached at me or at anyone else. That is what I object to.

djm
What's meant by a "board cause"? If all that means is a link on the front page, that seems fine. But if having a "board cause" will result in any kinda marginalization of or bad feelings towards someone who doens't support it, then that's wrong. I agree with djm that each person should give to what they like, so if having a "board cause" would hamper that freedom, or create an atmosphere where it wants to be hampered, that's wrong.
The idea of a link on the front page seems fine to me too.

My post began 'Let me express the hope...' It's my hope,
nothing more, and then I encouraged people to send money.
There's nothing coercive in this. I'm not telling people
what to do or saying: 'You SHOULD do this!' That's the last thing I want.
If you don't want to give to this, for heaven's sake,
don't do it! It's your money, for crying out loud. Do what
you want with it, spend it on the charity of your choice
or on yourself or whatever you want. That's none of our
business. I agree with djm that
each person should give to what they like.

If ever anything was meant to be entirely voluntary,
this is it. That's the only way it could work.
I just hope people will voluntarily want to give to this, enough of us so that
in some way we can go about it collectively--that is,
those of us who want to.

Sometimes in the past we have, a large number of us, rallied
round someone in need. On one occasion we raised a lot
of money so that the wife of a member could get
heart surgery. There was no blame for those who didn't
give, nobody was marginalized. In fact, there was
no way to know who had or hadn't given, but nobody
cared about that. The plea appeared, we
got minimally organized and those of us who wished
to help did so.

There has got to be some way to make such a proposal
without blaming or commanding or marginalizing or setting
up some tyranny. Just a well meant suggestion, entirely
optional. This is it.

Personally I think it would
be swell if those of us here who like the idea of doing it
adopted this orphanage. Or rallied round it.
Again your idea of a sticky seems
good (Dale, how bout that?).

If this isn't for you, God bless you! And for those of us
who like this idea, maybe we can get up a sticky.

But you know, if people think this isn't a good idea,
that's fine with me.

Freely given, freely given....
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Flyingcursor wrote:There are kids within five miles of my home who don't have enough food, clothes nor security. I'll start my charity with them.
Great idea. Go for it. :)

If you find a specific need you think this community could help with let us know. I'm sure many of us would love to help.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I made a sticky based on Doc's original post.
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

And a "sticky" topic it is!
Let me bid all goodnight with this story -
(those who hate church stories, stop now and spare yourselves)
I was leading a Vacation Bible school adult class a few years back and a guy walks in off the street and joins us - awesome, right?
During our conversation he finds out that the children in VBS that year (2003) were collecting money for a relief agency helping children in Iraq affected by the war.
"Charity begins at home!" he shouted.
"It's in the Bible!" he added quickly.
He steamed the rest of the night.

Actually it is on the lips of a Dicken's villain, not in scripture at all.
But there you go.

Generosity breeds generosity. When we see it, we give thanks for a gracious and generous heart.
Some help their neighbors and some see the world as one big neighborhood, so that would make children across the street or in Haiti or Iraq or Darfur our neighbors (at least to some).
You want to help them, cool. Rock on.
You want to pass and do your thing, whatever that may be, go do.
We all got to live, right?

Doc - you pointed out a need and gave it a face, a name, a life.
When you give suffering flesh and tell a story, some cannot shut their eyes and see the world the same. By any measure that is good.

Me, I'm grateful. For Doc and for so many other reminders here and in other posts of the graciousness of the human heart.

Goodnight
pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

pastorkeith wrote: During our conversation he finds out that the children in VBS that year (2003) were collecting money for a relief agency helping children in Iraq affected by the war.
"Charity begins at home!" he shouted.
"It's in the Bible!" he added quickly.
He steamed the rest of the night.

Actually it is on the lips of a Dicken's villain, not in scripture at all.
But there you go.

Generosity breeds generosity. When we see it, we give thanks for a gracious and generous heart.
There seems to be a growing trend to want to emphasize local needs more than those further afield. I know that my parents, as foreign missionaries, increasingly had to deal with people thinking home missions were more important.
Reasonable person
Walden
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I agree that local needs are very important. I donate monthly to a local food bank and volunteer 3 hours a week with a local youth group.

At this point in my life I'm able to do that plus the Haiti work. Not everyone is and I hope I'd be the last to condemn someone that wasn't in a position to do "everything for everyone". I'm certainly not...and I could certainly do more than I am currently doing.

In my view, service is the rent we pay for living in this world (someone clever once said this, can't remember who, pardon the plagiarism).

Serve at home, serve abroad, serve your friends or family, or just try to make yourself a better person...it's all good.

Being critical of someone serving in a way I choose not to serve? Probably not so good.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Doc Jones wrote:In my view, service is the rent we pay for living in this world (someone clever once said this, can't remember who, pardon the plagiarism).
Doc

Elder Nathan Eldon Tanner
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Doc Jones wrote: Serve at home, serve abroad, serve your friends or family, or just try to make yourself a better person...it's all good.

Being critical of someone serving in a way I choose not to serve? Probably not so good.

Doc
Well said.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

WyoBadger wrote:
Doc Jones wrote: Serve at home, serve abroad, serve your friends or family, or just try to make yourself a better person...it's all good.

Doc
Well said.
"From each, as he is able, to each, as is their need."

That you help is usually far more important than who or where. I will resist the urge to turn that to a disdainful political comment... I will resist the urge... i will.... resist... the... urge....

For many people, helping closer to home is better because they can do more. For some, helping further away is better because they can do more. in either instance, they are helping, and that is a warming bit of light for the holidays.

Bless all who give more than they receive. Your generosity is love in action, and *that* is what this season is really all about.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

Doc, You are doing a wonderful thing for your kids at the orphanage. Thanks for giving me the chance to help. Merry Christmas to you and your kids! :party:
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg