Swindler Boehm Irish Flute For Sale "SOLD"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Swindler Boehm Irish Flute For Sale "SOLD"

Post by Doug_Tipple »

A few months ago I had a topic on this forum about a Swindler flute that was being advertised by the maker on ebay. In the four months since I posted that ad, the flute was sold to a C & F member in Scotland. Since both of us were trying to sell instruments last week, I traded him an old shakuhachi for his nearly new flute made by David Swindler. Both of us think that we got the best deal. Anyway, after two trans-Atlantic trips the flute is now in my possession.

Here is the link to the ebay ad where David describes his one-of-a-kind flute.
ebay ad
David's ebay about ME page has a photo of him in his workshop in Puyallup, Washington. David's photo

There has been considerable discussion about Swindler's keyless Boehm-style flutes here on the flute forum.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... t=swindler
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=51814

In addition to the maker's description of his flute, I might add a few extra details. The bore diameter of the cylindrical flute body is 19 mm. The oval embouchure hole is 11.5 x 9.5 mm, and the weight of the flute is a very light 5.4 oz or 154 grams. This is a beautiful flute made by a fine craftsman. I am asking $295 + shipping in the USA.
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
withak
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by withak »

"Swindler" is a pretty unfortunate name for any kind of product. :-/
Denny

Post by Denny »

withak wrote:"Swindler" is a pretty unfortunate name for any kind of product. :-/
it's okay....that's Swindler from Puyallup :wink:
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have been asked to say more about the layout of the fingerholes for this Swindler flute. The numbers in parenthesis are diameters of the fingerholes in milimeters. The numbers in between are the distances between the fingerholes (center to center), also in milimeters:
(7)xx42xx(8)xx36xx(7)xxxxxx(7)xx26xx(8.5)xx43xx(6)

Clearly, this inline layout is not David's small-hands model that was described on the forum earlier. However, I have fairly small hands for a man, and I can cover the inline holes without difficulty. One of the characteristics of cylindrical-bore flutes is that the fingerholes generally tend to be farther apart than on a conical-bore flute with the same size fingerholes in the same key.

FYI, David has just listed another similar Boehm-style flute on ebay. In his current ebay description he gives several comments from customers.
Dragon

Swindler

Post by Dragon »

I have a Swindler flute. It's not Irish...a piccilo/fife in a modal scale. The flute is one of a kind and custom made for me. I like it, fast, responsive, lots of voice, and punches through drums. I don't have an "Irish" flute from him but he makes well made flutes. He is a great guy to do busness with.
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
Dragon

Re: Swindler Boehm Irish Flute For Sale

Post by Dragon »

Doug...check your messages.
Doug_Tipple wrote:A few months ago I had a topic on this forum about a Swindler flute that was being advertised by the maker on ebay. In the four months since I posted that ad, the flute was sold to a C & F member in Scotland. Since both of us were trying to sell instruments last week, I traded him an old shakuhachi for his nearly new flute made by David Swindler. Both of us think that we got the best deal. Anyway, after two trans-Atlantic trips the flute is now in my possession.

Here is the link to the ebay ad where David describes his one-of-a-kind flute.
ebay ad
David's ebay about ME page has a photo of him in his workshop in Puyallup, Washington. David's photo

There has been considerable discussion about Swindler's keyless Boehm-style flutes here on the flute forum.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... t=swindler
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=51814

In addition to the maker's description of his flute, I might add a few extra details. The bore diameter of the cylindrical flute body is 19 mm. The oval embouchure hole is 11.5 x 9.5 mm, and the weight of the flute is a very light 5.4 oz or 154 grams. This is a beautiful flute made by a fine craftsman. I am asking $295 + shipping in the USA.
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
jb

Post by jb »

If I hadn't just bought a Seery from another member, I would probably have gone for this one. Funny thing is, a friend of mine, also in Glasgow has a flute very like this (lighter coloured wood) but I think it was made by Terry McGee. I don't see them on his website though. Did Terry used to make one like this?

Jack
jb

Post by jb »

Oops, just followed the links above and answered my own question. :oops: