Simple food tricks

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

If you eat hot food and your mouth is burning, sugar takes the burning away quickly. In fact, in India they eat sugar-coated caraway seeds after dinner for this purpose.

Also, beware of pet parrots that eat hot peppers. Don't let them preen your eyelashes after a meal. They sometimes put chiles japones in bird food. Those are the dried red ones.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

How simple could this be? Get hunks of very strong cheddar cheese and hunks of crusty French bread. Smear bread chunks liberally with butter and consume with the cheese. It is absolutely imperative that you wash this down with proper English bitter cask beer. If you don't give a monkey's mickey about bad breath you can eat some pickled shallots with it, but these are optional. Not Guinness, not lager, nothing chilled at all. Real ale. I promise you, if you've never done this before it will change your life forever.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

SteveShaw wrote:How simple could this be? Get hunks of very strong cheddar cheese and hunks of crusty French bread. Smear bread chunks liberally with butter and consume with the cheese. It is absolutely imperative that you wash this down with proper English bitter cask beer.
Sounds like a plan! I've recently been doing nearly the same thing sans the bread. My parents gave me a pound of Wookey Hole cave aged cheddar and it goes down really nice with the ale in my fridge.(it's not English but its nice and bitter).

India Pale Ales go really well with strongly seasoned fish. Porters go really well with cookies(especially oatmeal)...who needs milk anyway?

Try boiling seafood in strong beers. I recently did poached shrimp in a brown ale that was really nice. Boiling bangers in beer works well too!

Another trick is using a little parmesan cheese in my steak marinade. Make sure that some of the cheese is on the steak when you grill or broil it. It really makes the flavors pop.

Mayonaise is a great base for dressings, sauces, and spreads. I believe the culinary term is Aioli. Cream Cheese can also be mixed with a myriad of ingredients to produce spreads that can really kick up sandwiches.

A current favorite snack of mine involves balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and assorted seasonings to provide a dipping sauce for crusty bread. It's a popular appetizer at Americanized Italian restuarants.
jkwest
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

marinate a steak in Dr. Pepper and about 4 literally mashed up oranges and onions for 8 hours makes one helluva Carne Asada...

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
emmline

Post by emmline »

sbfluter wrote: Also, beware of pet parrots that eat hot peppers. Don't let them preen your eyelashes after a meal.
I would be quite nonplussed by a parrot wanting to preen my eyelashes.
ketida

Post by ketida »

I was wondering about that, myself. I'd be wary about having a parrot near my fingertips, nevermind my eyelashes!
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

1 can new england clam chowder
1 can of clams
1 can of cream of mushroom soup

this is greater than the sum of it's parts.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Y'know those ageing carrots, tough outer sticks of celery and outer layers of onions that you're not quite sure whether to use or not? Don't throw them away! Put them in a plastic bag in your freezer until you next roast a chicken. When you've eaten all the big bits of meat on the chicken save the little scraps of meat (a good cupful is all you need). Then boil the carcass, skin, chewed bones, unchewed bones, the lot, in about 2 litres of water for three hours with all that stuff from the bag in the freezer. For added sumptuousness add an organic chicken stock cube and a bunch of herbs, including two bay leaves (or dried ones). Strain the liquid and chuck the carcass away. To the liquid add the chicken scraps and a finely-chopped onion, a finely-chopped large carrot or two and some finely-chopped celery. Boil for 15 minutes then throw in a handful of basmati rice. Boil for another 15 minutes. Season only if necessary. I like to add a dash of tabasco (but not that ultra-hot habanero stuff). Eat this with crusty bread and lashings of butter and you'll live to 110.

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote: tabasco (but not that ultra-hot habanero stuff).
Wuss.
Cotelette d'Agneau
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Lambchop wrote:
SteveShaw wrote: tabasco (but not that ultra-hot habanero stuff).
Wuss.
Hey, not so! The hot stuff just ain't right for this particular broth, that's all. I eat super-hot chilli in any guise whenever I can. I eat whole pickled jalapenos straight from the jar. I always have the hottest curry in the house. Wuss, not!

djm

Post by djm »

Take a 100% stone ground whole wheat pita and open it up completely into two separate sides. Slather one side of pita with 100% pure crunchy peanut butter, about 3/8" thick. Take a large Bartlett pear and slice it vertically into slices about 1/4 to 3/8" thick. Remove core. Adorn peanut butter side of pita with slices of pear. Cover with second pita side. Try to hold it all together with both hands, or cut into more manageable pieces.

Consume.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

djm wrote:Take a 100% stone ground whole wheat pita and open it up completely into two separate sides. Slather one side of pita with 100% pure crunchy peanut butter, about 3/8" thick. Take a large Bartlett pear and slice it vertically into slices about 1/4 to 3/8" thick. Remove core. Adorn peanut butter side of pita with slices of pear. Cover with second pita side. Try to hold it all together with both hands, or cut into more manageable pieces.

Consume.

djm
I'd add honey.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

A Russian restaurant use to serve some jelly (fruit preserves) with their tea as a sweetener.
I now do this at home when I get the chance.

I knew a guy that would stick a needle into the side of a banana and move it from one side to the other . He would do this in several spots. A bit later, he would peel the banana in front of some kids and amaze them with his pre-sliced banana.

He also liked to carefully cut an X in the bottom of an orange, scoop out the innards and replace it with an apple. He would than peel and eat his "orange", confusing many kids in the process of peeling back the skin to reveal an apple.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
The_Celtic_Bard

Post by The_Celtic_Bard »

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=55609

for tricks with food of the musical variety go to link on first post
Last edited by The_Celtic_Bard on Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why build character when you already are one?